Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > newer technology bookendz?

newer technology bookendz?
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 05:01 PM

Has anybody here used/is currently using an Newer Technology Bookendz? I have a Lombard and was wondering how well the port replicator worked. Does it interfere with any functions of the powerbook? Does it make the machine run any cooler by slightly raising it? :-)

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2000, 08:41 PM

I have about six of these, and they've been problematic. The connections can be fussy and don't always work - about half of them are in drawers right now.

Scott

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 10:28 PM

slboett, are these bookendz you have for lombards? do any of them work well? I'm just curious because this seems to be a good solution for me, i always take my machine away from my desk and i've got an external SCSI harddrive, a webcam and a usb hub, sound out, ethernet and power cable and it's a pain to always unplug......:-)

machappy
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2000, 11:22 AM

i got one for my 99 bronze and it works great. i have a scsi scanner/zip and cdrw hooked to it along with a usb mouse and external monitor. all work without a hitch.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2000, 07:23 PM

It's not a port replicator. it's a Dock. For example, If you're at your desk at your office, You can have an external monitor, USB keyboard and mouse, an Ethernet Connection, Stereo Out, and Power Adapter plugged into the dock. When you're at your desk, you slide it into the dock, all of these things are at your disposal, without plugging them in individually. When you need to go home ro whatever, side the PowerBook out of the dock and take it home. Then, the next day, when you come into the office, you can slide it into the Dock again.

wfp
Apr 26, 2000, 07:39 PM

It's a port replicator, it has no additional functionality (like extra drives or slots) other than passing the ports on the back of the laptop out. And mine works ok with a lombard. The connections are sometimes difficult, especially the power and sound out side, but once firmly pushed together it works fine. And, even with the problem, it's easier than connecting the mouse, ethernet cable, monitor, speakers, and power.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2000, 12:05 PM

It isnt a port replicator. A port replicator is a device that adds ports to a laptop that doesnt have them. BookEndz is a Dock. It's not adding ports to the machine. BookEndz is a stationary device that stays in once place and keeps all of your connections. When you put the PowerBook into the BookEndz, it gives you access to those connections. It's not creating any ports. It's just "extending" the the originals.

BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2000, 01:34 PM

First, on-topic:
I bought one for my WallStreet about six months ago, thinking that I was going to love it. Not so. it feels cheap, the connections are fragile (the "push hard on the power and sound side" problem is there for me, too), and most recently, no matter how hard I push, the sound connection only works intermittently. And since the speakers in my PowerBook ar better than my external ones, I'm thinking about just ripping that connector off the thing anyway!

Now, off-topic:
A port replicator does exactly what it says: it replicates the ports on your machine on an external device, allowing a one-step hookup to all the peripherals, etc., that used to take multiple steps. A docking station on the other hand usually has added things, such as extra PCMCIA slots, dedicated joystick ports, etc.

------------------
--Brett
------------------
--
Brett L. Kessler

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2000, 03:34 PM

Alright, i just got my bookendz today and so far it's very good for me, it plugs in easily (not a noticable difference on the power/sound in side or anything) and all the ports work well. And just to clear it up, it IS a port REPLICATOR, that's what is says on the box :-) Maybe the Wallstreet ones are a little bit shoddy, but i like this one made for Lombards......but only time will tell. :-)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2000, 03:44 PM

i note that PCTek is unfortunately very authoritatively wrong with some regularity, it has been called to my attention by others and now i see it for myself

nothing wrong with wanting/trying to help but one needs to have the facts as best as one can

Forum Links
Forum Rules