Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking For A Power Mac 7100/80

Looking For A Power Mac 7100/80
Apples555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2012, 09:27 AM

Hello,

I'm new here. Great site!

I am in the process of trying to track down a Power Mac 7100/80 as a replacement for my recently-failed one (details of which can be found here). I've been asking around, but it seems like nobody has one that they're willing to part with.

So I was wondering, does anyone on here have one that they're willing to give or sell to me?

Anyways, I was just thinking.

Thanks all,
Art

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2012, 10:00 AM

I don't have a 7100, but I have a perfectly good 8600 that doesn't get any love from me anymore. I'd love to be able to give it to someone who would put it to good use.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Apples555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2012, 10:38 AM

Thank you! However, I used my Mac as a music workstation, and thus I need a Nubus slot for my Digidesign Audiomedia board, and I believe the 8600 has PCI slots.

It seems that it's much harder to find one now than in 1999, when I bought my original. I hope I'll be able to find one.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2012, 10:51 AM

Looks like the 8100 was the last machine to have Nubus slots. Problem is most of the ones still left are not old enough to be valuable but too old to be useful to many people, hence they get thrown out when someone doesn't want one any more.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Mar 7, 2012, 12:28 PM

The 8600 certainly had PCI and not Nubus. The Performa/LC 52xx/62xx/53xx/63xx had a sort of specalized Nubus slot for the modem, but I think the only thing that worked in where modems and network cards. I think the last with a true Nubus was the 6100/7100/8100 series.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2012, 01:05 PM

Too bad my family threw out our 7100/66. It wasn't worth anything and was just taking up space so it got recycled.

There are definitely some users here with old machines so how about mention you are looking for a 7100 in your signature and post around in the lounge a bit.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2012, 04:24 PM

Apples555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2012, 06:37 PM

Yep, I've seen that one. It's perfect, but the person appears to only want to sell it locally.

That's upsetting that most people are throwing them out.

Honestly, I'm not as worried about finding the computer as I am about finding another copy of Emagic Logic Audio 2.5. I have no idea where I'll find that.

If anyone has a copy, let me know! I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks all.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apples555 View Post
That's upsetting that most people are throwing them out.
At first I thought so too, but then I realized that the 7100 was just sitting in the basement. It wasn't even collecting dust because the retired beige G3 was on top of it collecting all the dust. My family decided that it was better to send it back to Apple to get recycled than to sit around doing nothing. It wasn't running any special software or hardware and wasn't getting used.

The oldest computer I have that I use on a regular basis is my nearly 10 year old MDD G4.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

OreoCookie
Mar 8, 2012, 03:49 AM

Is there any reason you have to recreate such an old setup? Even if you get a »new« old PowerMac and you can recreate your old setup, why not replace it with something new? I don't know what capabilities you need, but our audio buffs can help you with that. I wouldn't be surprised if a simple USB adapter would do the trick these days.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Apples555  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2012, 07:20 AM

I'm very used to it, and would hate to have to give it up. I intend to ride out my assembled system as long as possible.

I'm having a tough time finding one however.
I am seeking a Power Mac 7100/80. If you have one, please let me know!

OreoCookie
Mar 8, 2012, 08:29 AM

I'm very used to it, and would hate to have to give it up. I intend to ride out my assembled system as long as possible.

I'm having a tough time finding one however.
Perhaps it's time to move on? I sympathize with the credo »don't change a running system«, but your system is no longer running You're replacing one old computer with another old computer that is no less likely to break than your old one. Considering that 17 years in computing terms is easily 50+ years in car terms, I don't think it's a good idea in the medium term.

And I reckon that there are things that you'll like about new, more capable pieces of software and hardware. Since you were content using a 17-year old computer, any entry-level machine will do. I recommend a MacBook Air which is light, portable and has a lot, lot of computing power (cpu-wise it's about as fast as last generation's top-of-the-line MacBook Pro). Couple that to a USB midi interface and you're good to go.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2012, 12:32 PM

Honestly, I'm not as worried about finding the computer as I am about finding another copy of Emagic Logic Audio 2.5. I have no idea where I'll find that.
From your Macrumours thread I'd wager your HDD is fine. You probably just need a PSU for your old one. That might be an easier find if only because they are cheaper to ship.

I don't know where you are, but you might consider calling an AASP in California. I think Apple are required to make parts available for a lot longer (if not indefinitely) there due to local laws. Certainly worth a try anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Leeroy98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2012, 10:08 AM

I'm in NH and have a PM 7100 80 If your still looking.

Havnt used it in years but I'm confident it works fine.

Send me an e-mail

sid2700
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2012, 03:26 AM

Thank you! However, I used my Mac as a music workstation, and thus I need a Nubus slot for my Digidesign Audiomedia board, and I believe the 8600 has PCI slots.

It seems that it's much harder to find one now than in 1999, when I bought my original. I hope I'll be able to find one.
Hi,
I'm in San Francisco and I happen to have a 7100-80 in perfect working condition with installed AudioMedia2 soundcard (ID 1069) and audio editing app Digidesign - Sound Designer II - This power PC has a Quantum Fireball ST2.IS (2GB) internal HD - The entire rig would consist of an external HD Quantum - QM39100TD-S (9GB), Iomega Zip100 drive (w 12 100MB disks), an external Teac 4x12 CD burner (pro grade), a pro flatbed scanner Epson ES-1200C, Wacom graphic tablet (w pen), Epson Stylus Color 740 printer and plethora of apps like Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Illustrator, Micrsoft Words etc. - All SCSI, all made in USA, except scanner, Wacom tablet made in Japan and CD burner made in Taiwan. Immaculate condition.
Email me if you're interested
( Last edited by sid2700; Apr 17, 2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: remove email address)

Kensington
Apr 17, 2012, 02:57 PM

I have to agree with OreoCookie on this one. Or perhaps you should consider getting a Tascam 8-track cassette tape recorder. It would probably be more useful as a music recording machine, and it would still have that same vintage quality.

Kensington
Apr 17, 2012, 03:05 PM

Sorry, I have to ask...do you still use America Online to get dial-up too?

Forum Links
Forum Rules