Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 28)
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 3, 2002, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Calli46:
<STRONG>OK, guys, now that sp78 is out, there are still 22 to go to reach the magic 100!!! What do you think are the odds to reach sp C (like in OS X) before getting golden ? Make it a $10 on getting up to C for me.

PS. Rick is not allowed to bet, for obvious reasons...</STRONG>

It really looks like they are trying to get 4.1 as near-perfect as they can before giving it the final release.....that's something that many software vendors don't seem to do anymore - most would released it back at beta 2 or so and called it final.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

jason75
Forum Regular
May 4, 2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>Downloading it now, but it's going slowly. Must be a lot of other folks using the server.
</STRONG>
It went fast for me. Maybe I was the one slowing it down.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 02:12 AM

Well, I skipped the last two or three sneakypeeks (not that it seems I missed much by your comments :-) and this one seems well-baked. No obvious problems so far. Of course it's early in the evening for me, but the number of sites which don't render for me has steadily been decreasing, WITH THE EXTREMELY ANNOYING EXCEPTION OF COMMERCIAL SITES.

I find this vexing because ecommerce is one of the things I do for a living, and I have fought the "support every browser; write to standards; keep it simple" battle and it BURNS MY BUTT to see professionals making a buck by writing web sites which assume that I'm using any particular version or operating system.

Anyhow, OW sp 79 has been doing a good job. Thanks, OW dudes. YGFR.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

jason75
Forum Regular
May 4, 2002, 02:56 AM

<STRONG>OK, guys, now that sp78 is out, there are still 22 to go to reach the magic 100!!! What do you think are the odds to reach sp C (like in OS X) before getting golden ? Make it a $10 on getting up to C for me.

PS. Rick is not allowed to bet, for obvious reasons...</STRONG>
My bet is that they won't get to SP100. Things have slowed down lately. Plus, I think we're getting close to Final. We'll probably start seeing RCs real soon or at least after they get back from WWDC.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2002, 10:58 AM

SP 79 is out... It seems slower, just a bit and i haven't seen any improvements.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 01:37 PM

I'm guessing that we're almost at the end of the 4.1 SP's, too. OW hasn't crashed on me in ages, things are generally quick and smooth, and the number of sites I need to use IE for is getting pretty durn small. (If only the "back-button-kills-JavaScript" issue weren't so maddening ... sigh.)

But there are still a few problems. This site was mentioned in the Lounge this morning, and you can't go anywhere with it in OmniWeb. Pretty cool site, too ...

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 03:17 PM

In the recent SPs, OmniWeb crashes crashes less frequently, but still with startling regularity. Sometimes it crashes with only one window open; sometimes with 6 or 7. What bothers me is how very unpredictable the crashes are. Sometimes it'll crash by itself without any action from the user!

Before you start asking me questions, yes, I erase all my prefs between builds and use an independent file for my bookmarks. I send in every single crash report, but stopped including my comments long ago because of the frequency.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
<STRONG>In the recent SPs, OmniWeb crashes crashes less frequently, but still with startling regularity. Sometimes it crashes with only one window open; sometimes with 6 or 7. What bothers me is how very unpredictable the crashes are. Sometimes it'll crash by itself without any action from the user!

Before you start asking me questions, yes, I erase all my prefs between builds and use an independent file for my bookmarks. I send in every single crash report, but stopped including my comments long ago because of the frequency.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</STRONG>
I've never erased my prefs between builds and I haven't had the kinds of problems you're talking about. Am I just getting lucky or are you just anal?

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 12:00 AM

SP79 is really good, I haven't upgraded since SP fifty something, so the improvements seem significant. Well done Omni, I think I'm going to go and register this!

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 01:02 AM

SMacSteve:
I erase my prefs simply as a precaution. It's really no trouble at all; in fact, I consider it part of the regular ritual of downloading, copying, and removing each sneakypeek build. You should remember that there have been reports before with OmniWeb going haywire from a bad prefs or history file of some sort.

Anyway, when I say OmniWeb is crash-prone, here's a list of the number of reports I've sent in lately from each build. Of course, these numbers aren't exactly fair unless you consider how long each build was out.

sp 78 - 2 reports
sp 76 - 1
sp 75 - 2
beta 5 - 8
sp 71 - 1
sp 69 - 1
sp 68 - 13
beta 4 - 4
beta 2 - 17

That's 49 bug reports in the past month. If I used OmniWeb full-time, I'm sure it would be a lot more, but I have been using Chimera a lot lately and it has been rock-solid.

jason75
Forum Regular
May 5, 2002, 03:09 AM

It's rock solid for me. I don't remember the last time it crashed.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 5, 2002, 09:12 AM

SP 80 is out. It's Snappier�!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 09:24 AM

It's sunday, do these guys ever sleep ??

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2002, 09:41 AM

Weird bug here. The last Omniweb disk image (sp 79) shows up in my finder with a regular HD icon, and won't eject because it's "in use." I can't trah the Omniweb.app inside it, either, even logged in as root, and this persists through logout/logins, and even a sudo shutdown now /sbin/fsck. I haven't tried shutting down and restating, but I don't want to.

Other than that, SP 79 seems good.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2002, 09:54 AM

<STRONG>SMacSteve:

Anyway, when I say OmniWeb is crash-prone, here's a list of the number of reports I've sent in lately from each build. Of course, these numbers aren't exactly fair unless you consider how long each build was out.

sp 78 - 2 reports
sp 76 - 1
sp 75 - 2
beta 5 - 8
sp 71 - 1
sp 69 - 1
sp 68 - 13
beta 4 - 4
beta 2 - 17

That's 49 bug reports in the past month. If I used OmniWeb full-time, I'm sure it would be a lot more, but I have been using Chimera a lot lately and it has been rock-solid.</STRONG>
Omniweb crashes for me too sometimes, but it's better all the time. Long time since it last crashed on me. IE is by far more crash prone than Omni at this stage IMO. a lot of bugs have been rooted out. Speed keeps getting better.
Still some standards that is severely lacking. Far to many menus that doesn't work etc. But it is still my browser of choice.

Sophus

davidb224
Forum Regular
May 5, 2002, 04:10 PM

<STRONG>That's 49 bug reports in the past month. If I used OmniWeb full-time, I'm sure it would be a lot more.....</STRONG>
I don't know what's happening with your computer, but I use OW 4.1 sp's nearly all the time on my DP G4 and only have an occasional crash. I've sent in every crash report, but that only happens once in a while....maybe 2 or 3 per week.
davidb

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 5, 2002, 07:27 PM

I'm still having tons of random crashes with sp80. I start each sp80 with a set of fresh prefs, I reimport my bookmarks, only to have the thing crash a few moments later.

There's no rhyme or reason and most of the crashes I can't reproduce. For example, prior to posting this, I started up OW sp80, it loaded my start page (google.com), I typed forums.macnn.com into the address field, hit return and BAM it crashed. I restarted, did the same thing and I'm here posting...

I LOVE OW, but it sure is frustrating when the crashes can't at least be tracked down to SOMETHING. My one remaining gripe with OW is the overall stability. I just can't seem to get the thing to run reliably. This on Dual 500 G4, reformatted drive with stock install of 10.1.4 - no hacks or anything like that...

Is anyone else having this kind of experience?

zen
--
you cannot enter a place that you never left.

Hudson
May 5, 2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by zengravy:
<STRONG>I LOVE OW, but it sure is frustrating when the crashes can't at least be tracked down to SOMETHING. My one remaining gripe with OW is the overall stability. I just can't seem to get the thing to run reliably. This on Dual 500 G4, reformatted drive with stock install of 10.1.4 - no hacks or anything like that...

Is anyone else having this kind of experience?

zen</STRONG>
Zen, I have to think it's something peculiar to your machine. OmniWeb is about as stable as an app can be for me. I can't tell you when I last had a crash. Actually, I think it was several SP's ago and I'm pretty sure it was a known crasher that Omni addressed.

Here's an idea if you haven't already tried it: Backup your prefs and bookmarks and store them out of the way. Then wipe out everything related to OmniWeb from your hard drive followed by a fresh download and install. Just run it without reimporting any of the old files and see what happens. Sure, you won't have your old bookmarks and prefs but it might provide the necessary clue to understanding what's going wrong. If it's stable for some time, then try bringing your old files back into the picture to see what happens.

Also, have you booted into single user mode and performed the "fsck -y" routine? You never know if something like that is influencing your problems.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 10:36 PM

Zen,
You are not alone. I have the same problem with Omni crashing at completely unpredictable times; yet, my drives and system are otherwise in tip-top perfect condition. I'd be glad to post some information from the 51 crash reports sitting in my Sent Messages box if anyone here thinks they can diagnose the problem.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 12:02 AM

<STRONG>Zen,
You are not alone. I have the same problem with Omni crashing at completely unpredictable times; yet, my drives and system are otherwise in tip-top perfect condition. I'd be glad to post some information from the 51 crash reports sitting in my Sent Messages box if anyone here thinks they can diagnose the problem.</STRONG>
The thing is, many of us have been using OW without a single crash for days or weeks at a time. The one time (see back a couple pages ago) i started getting random crashes, deleting my history files fixed everything.

Since we are all running the same OW downloaded from the same server, there's just no way that the fault lies with the program (at least not for the random-non-repeatable crashes).

I highly suggest doing what the (2) above poster suggested, and doing a "clean" install of OW to see if you can get better results - then start bringing things back in one at a time to see if you can't locate at what step things get messed up.
cpac

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 12:07 AM

With every sp, I delete my prefs and the OmniWeb folder in ~/Application Support. I manually reset the prefs and have been using the "Import Bookmarks" feature to move my bookmarks into the freshly created file. Using this scheme, the only thing that could be causing the problem is some freaky corruption that keeps managing to get transferred during the bookmark import process... I'll try running with the stock bookmarks file and see if that makes any difference.

Is there ANY possibility that it could be RAM related? Surely not, as other apps would be crashing as well... (?) Is it even technically possible that OW would be "sensitive" to a particular DIMM, etc.?

Just trying to come up with SOMETHING... Again, the most annoying thing is that the crashes are completely random. And after a restart everything is dandy...

I hear a lot of folks commenting that OW "hardly ever" crashes on them. What type of usage are we talking about? I certainly don't sit with the app open and churning through sites, and it seems that I am having - bare minimum - two crashes an hour!

Any ideas if a corrupt system pref could be the culprit? I wiped the drive last week and reinstalled everything, although I did copy my home folder back. Hmmm...

Thoughts?
--

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
<STRONG>I highly suggest doing what the (2) above poster suggested, and doing a "clean" install of OW to see if you can get better results</STRONG>
*ahem* Scroll up this page about 12 posts. Read the first paragraph of my post that has the numbers of reports.

Franky, I'm amazed that so many people are claiming to never crash OmniWeb. Do you people just visit vanilla HTML pages with only one or two windows open? I multitask a LOT and visit sites that have all sorts of complexities (many of which OmniWeb don't render properly anyway because of lacking CSS and DHTML). Does OmniWeb has some leaks somewhere that aren't being caught? Or is there something in the rendering engine that chokes on certain code? I don't know. All I know is that OmniWeb is not stable enough for the way I browse the Internet. If it's okay for others, great.

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 12:23 AM

<STRONG>Thoughts?</STRONG>
Yeah - before going too nuts, I'd definitely try using the stock bookmarks for a bit.

My use runs the gambit - from just simple sites, to java applets, secure sites, law school's exchange server page, online banking, Homepage, airlines, and these MacNN forums...

Hardware-wise, I'm certainly no expert, but maybe if OW is the only heavily threaded app you use, OW would find a problem where other apps wouldn't?

I'd also wonder about your internet/network settings (if you've got odd-ball proxy settings or if you've got weird fire-walls, maybe that could cause some problems?)

Also, since you mention everything being good after a restart, I wonder if some other program you're using could be causing some problems (in terms of leaving processes running or something) where OW interacts with the net... Again, I don't know why/how this would happen, but I'm currently getting crashes with Excel that can't seem to be explained by anything except a conflict with another app.

best of luck...
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 12:31 AM

<STRONG>Franky, I'm amazed that so many people are claiming to never crash OmniWeb. Do you people just visit vanilla HTML pages with only one or two windows open?</STRONG>
I really don't crash in OmniWeb. The last time was pre-beta 5 when there was the close a window with a running java-applet crasher and I tried it out. I think that's been addressed since then too (and at the very least, it was easily repeatable).

In terms of types of sites - no. see above.

In terms of number of windows - actually I generally have between 1 and 4 open at any given time. (I'm on a TiBook and screen real-estate is at a premium). Perhaps, I suppose, if I opened 15 different pages all trying to run their own little java applets or something I would encounter more problems, but I'd never know since I can only really pay attention to a couple sites at a time.
cpac

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 12:34 AM

I've been running OW 4.1 SP's as my full time browser for quite awhile and I can't remember the last crash report I sent in. The last several builds have been very stable. I just have some problems still on Apples intranet not working on some java scripts (drop menus and stuff), but other than that I love OW. It's the best! Come on guys lets get this fixed and move on to the final version already.

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 12:40 AM

I just crashed coming back to check this site... Restarted and all is well. This after installing sp80 anew, popping it into the Applications folder, restarting the computer, deleting both the prefs and the bookmarks and running with only the stock, fresh bookmarks file!

I wouldn't really consider the sites I visit to be complex, although I do tend to open many windows at once. What kind of iron is everyone running? Perhaps it's a dual CPU issue?

The only apps I had running with the last crash were my stock login items - ASM, Keyboard Maestro, WindowshadeX, and FruitMenu. I just PRAY it's not a conflict with one of those apps! Also, I thought that type of thing wasn't supposed to be an issue in OS X, with each app having it's once memory address space? More to it than that? Is anyone else running with these particular apps?

zen
--

davidb224
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 12:49 AM

<STRONG>I just crashed coming back to check this site... Restarted and all is well. This after installing sp80 anew, popping it into the Applications folder, restarting the computer, deleting both the prefs and the bookmarks and running with only the stock, fresh bookmarks file!

I wouldn't really consider the sites I visit to be complex, although I do tend to open many windows at once. What kind of iron is everyone running? Perhaps it's a dual CPU issue?

The only apps I had running with the last crash were my stock login items - ASM, Keyboard Maestro, WindowshadeX, and FruitMenu. I just PRAY it's not a conflict with one of those apps! Also, I thought that type of thing wasn't supposed to be an issue in OS X, with each app having it's once memory address space? More to it than that? Is anyone else running with these particular apps?</STRONG>
How much ram do you have installed?

Have you considered the possibility that you may have just run out of ram? I "hit the wall" with ram once or twice and I have 512 MB installed. I usually run 4 or 5 apps at the same time without problem, but I wonder about how much ram is being used when you open several windows in the browser.
davidb

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 12:59 AM

<STRONG>I wouldn't really consider the sites I visit to be complex, although I do tend to open many windows at once. What kind of iron is everyone running? Perhaps it's a dual CPU issue?

Is anyone else running with these particular apps?
</STRONG>
As for window number - see above (not too many for me)

I run none of those applications; usually have DayLite, Mail, OmniOutliner, weatherPop, Adium, and OW running all the time, adding in various Office products, iTunes, iPhoto, various Adobe apps, &c. from time-to-time.

Hardware-wise: TiBook 500, 512, 20 Gig (not very full, plenty of swap space if I do run out of RAM)
cpac

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by davidb224:
<STRONG>

How much ram do you have installed?</STRONG>
1.5 GB.
--

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 02:47 AM

<STRONG> Perhaps it's a dual CPU issue?</STRONG>
Ah, that's an interesting possibility because I'm running a dual 500. Hmmm. Rick? Ken? Any ideas here?

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 03:13 AM

<STRONG>Ah, that's an interesting possibility because I'm running a dual 500. Hmmm. Rick? Ken? Any ideas here?</STRONG>
VERY interesting! I too am running a Dual 500! It would be interesting to hear from the folks with stable OW installations as to what machine they're running...
--

jason75
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 03:23 AM

I put OmniWeb through its paces and it's rock solid for me. I use it on an iMac DV SE 400, G4 Sawtooth 450, and an iBook 500 ranging from 256-384 MB Ram.

jason75
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 03:59 AM

OmniWeb 4.1b6 is up.

Shouldn't you Omni guys be in San Jose by now?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2002, 04:52 AM

OmniWeb 4.1b6 is faster than all builds before. From my experience anyway. OmniWeb is now my main browser. Have to keep IE though for those sites that OmniWeb doesn't support.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2002, 07:01 AM

Have to wonder if there isn't a damn bug in those early GrDP's or something based on the number of unique problems.

I have B&W w/ G4/500 and OmniWeb has been solid for months AFTER deleting the history file and making it track less was the last time I had a crash. I've had 40-70 windows open, loaded up my system until there is only 10-20MB free (but still only one swapfile).

894MB (?) all the RAM is good 8 ns. from same manufacturer (Crucial) and I was going to say RAM might be it - until the DP was mentioned. And I was hoping XLR8 would get the bugs out and have a DP for us B&W users but doesn't seem likely.

Gregory

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Gregory ]

JKT
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 07:04 AM

An alternative viewpoint to the frequent crashing if it isn't just dual 500's - do you use the default fonts or any MS based ones e.g. Times New Roman or Courier New??

There is something wrong with the TNR and Courier New installed with OSX, you need to update them to the latest versions which you can get to from the microsoft mactopia website. If you use these fonts then that may be the problem perhaps?

FWIW, OW has been pretty stable for me too. However, I have had one issue (probably due to WindowShade X) whereby minimising windows to the dock and maximising them eventually leads to one window locking up completely (the windowbar widgets freeze with the minimise button showing the minus sign and highlighted, and scrolling becomes impossible). Once that one window locks up, all subsequent windows that I maximise or bring to the front also lock up and I eventually have to force quit (as the OW menubar also freezes and quitting doesn't work). I've stopped minimising to the dock because of it... So perhaps WindowShade X is Zengravy's problem as well?

Hudson
May 6, 2002, 08:07 AM

<STRONG>

1.5 GB.</STRONG>
Way in the back of my mind I remember seeing something about TOO MUCH RAM causing stability issues (was it related to DP machines, too). Anyone else recall this? It might have even been an Apple posting. Anyway, whatever the source of what I thought I read, the recommended procedure for testing was to remove some RAM and use your computer for a while to see if things improved. I may be all wet in how I remember this so others, please chime in on any recollections you have.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 08:57 AM

I'm using a Pismo 500MHZ and OW has been exceedingly stable over the past two weeks. For about a month before that it would lock-up frequently (Spinning CD, No Crash Catcher.)
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2002, 09:35 AM

Recent OW builds have been extremely stable on my G4 iMac with 512 mb. Things have been a little rockier on my graphite iBook, which has only 192 mb -- OW crashes there fairly often, almost always when I'm trying to multitask too aggressively.

So at least in my case, I'd say that either OW needs to handle low-memory situations just a little more gracefully, or that I simply need to buy more RAM. (Heck, forget the RAM ... it just means I need to buy a new Powerbook!)

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 10:30 AM

OW has been a rock on my Pismo 400mhz!
12" Powerbook/1.5GHz/768MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo
OS 10.4.1

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 10:53 AM

I tried Chimera yesterday. It crashed too often and I prefer OW, but it sure was fast, even on my 56kv.90 dial up.

More importantly, Chimera exposed a fault in OW: it handled a java-based game I play that OW can't. I had asked why several pages back, and Rickster answered it had to do with a Cocoa-based app interacting with carbon-managed windows (or something like that), and Omni was helpless until Apple made the next move.

Yet Chimera is all Cocoa also, and it ran the game smoothly....

So it CAN be done with the current Apple API and Java implementation. It would appear that Omni just hasn't gotten around to debugging Java in OW. Fair enough.

Rick: if this is true, please just say so. I can wait patiently and I know all at Omni are working hard. Saying it's Apple's issue when another browser (that hasn't even hit v1.0 yet!) can do it doesn't cut it anymore.
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
<STRONG>Yet Chimera is all Cocoa also, and it ran the game smoothly....

So it CAN be done with the current Apple API and Java implementation. It would appear that Omni just hasn't gotten around to debugging Java in OW. Fair enough.
</STRONG>
Chimera has just a cocoa front-end. The rendering engine (gecko) is carbon and can interact with the carbon implementation of java without running into the problems OW's cocoa rendering engine runs into.

Rickster was not b.s.ing you.
cpac

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
<STRONG>An alternative viewpoint to the frequent crashing if it isn't just dual 500's - do you use the default fonts or any MS based ones e.g. Times New Roman or Courier New?? ... I have had one issue (probably due to WindowShade X)</STRONG>
I thought of that early on and updated all the M$ fonts to the latest versions. But, hey, if that's the problem it wouldn't bother me at all to get rid of them

zen
--

Calli46
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 11:34 AM

Zen & Starfleet,

while I sympathize with you, I must say that I am using OW on my DP/500 since the early betas (b6, b7 and such). Like everyone, I got my share of crashes. Many times, OW would crash on startup. But since OW b75 and up, crashes are almost something of the past.

And I never erased prefs or bookmarks before installing a new version. Besides, while I don't have many OW windows opened at the same time, usually, I have many applications on. Lastly, I let OW on day long, never closing it (well, other users of my machine close it for me when they log in a couple of times a day...).

My G4 has 1 GB of memory. One problem I had with OW was while downloading to big files (650 MB each) at the same time. OW uses RAM to store the files while downloading (big misconception, here). After filling the available RAM, OW started dl to virtual memory. My G4 ALMOST froze to death doing this. But neither it or OW crashed. At the end of the dl, OW copied the files on disk and back to normal we went.

So, what's causing your crashes ? Do you see crashes with other apps or just with OW ? If just in OW, I doubt it's a hardware problem. Then what? Looks like some conflict between exts. I would try using OW alone for a while. Then, if there are no more crashes, I would reinstall those extensions (windowshade, etc) one at a time and test again...

Hope you find the culprit.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by jason75:
<STRONG>OmniWeb 4.1b6 is up.

Shouldn't you Omni guys be in San Jose by now? </STRONG>
Is every OSX owner on the planet downloading B6 at the moment the 'sneak peek' page has been reporting 'Awaiting document from planetmirror' for the past half an hour!

zengravy
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 12:00 PM

<STRONG>... since OW b75 and up, crashes are almost something of the past. ... Do you see crashes with other apps or just with OW ? If just in OW, I doubt it's a hardware problem. Then what? Looks like some conflict between exts.</STRONG>
It's rare that any of my other apps crash. About once a month Mail decides to throw up that "Locked Mailbox" warning, but that's it. The only app that consistently crashes is OW.

At the moment, I'm running sans login items with a stock, OW generated bookmarks file (quite painfully I might add). I'm going to try that for a bit and see if it helps.

Maybe it's just luck for some folks...

zen
--

cpac
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
<STRONG>

Is every OSX owner on the planet downloading B6 at the moment the 'sneak peek' page has been reporting 'Awaiting document from planetmirror' for the past half an hour!</STRONG>
I just came here to ask that. Anybody who's got beta 6 wanna put in on their iDisk temporarily?
cpac

Calli46
Forum Regular
May 6, 2002, 03:03 PM

Zen & Starfleet,

while I sympathize with you, I must say that I am using OW on my DP/500 since the early betas (b6, b7 and such). Like everyone, I got my share of crashes. Many times, OW would crash on startup. But since OW b75 and up, crashes are almost something of the past.

And I never erased prefs or bookmarks before installing a new version. Besides, while I don't have many OW windows opened at the same time, usually, I have many applications on. Lastly, I let OW on day long, never closing it (well, other users of my machine close it for me when they log in a couple of times a day...).

My G4 has 1 GB of memory. One problem I had with OW was while downloading to big files (650 MB each) at the same time. OW uses RAM to store the files while downloading (big misconception, here). After filling the available RAM, OW started dl to virtual memory. My G4 ALMOST froze to death doing this. But neither it or OW crashed. At the end of the dl, OW copied the files on disk and back to normal we went.

So, what's causing your crashes ? Do you see crashes with other apps or just with OW ? If just in OW, I doubt it's a hardware problem. Then what? Looks like some conflict between exts. I would try using OW alone for a while. Then, if there are no more crashes, I would reinstall those extensions (windowshade, etc) one at a time and test again...

Hope you find the culprit.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 03:23 PM

Just a quick question for anyone knowledgeable enough:

Does Quartz Extreme mean that OmniWeb will see massive speed improvements when 10.2 comes out?

I'm just glad I updated to a new iMac 800 with a Geforce 2MX card from my older (unsupported) iMac 600 w/ Rage 128 Ultra.
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 6, 2002, 04:09 PM

looks like planetmirror is back to normal....i was finally able to d/l (and it did very quickly....)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Forum Links
Forum Rules