Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X has stolen my BONG!

OS X has stolen my BONG!
maroma
Mar 5, 2002, 11:34 PM

OK, so I did a search, and the answers to this problem were a bit vague and incomplete. So don't bitch and moan if you've already answered this question.

I noticed this a while ago, but didn't really care about til now...but why don't I have a startup chime anymore? Earlier posts said to zap the PRAM, which I did, and no go. I disconnected my speakers, and no go. Any ideas?

I know some of you hate the chimes, but I love mine. It's a juicy little Macnugget that I am quite fond of.

(BTW - I'm on a G4/400 AGP, 10.1.3, Yamaha external speakers)

Arakageeta256
Mar 5, 2002, 11:45 PM

...oh. I thought this thread was about drug use....

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 11:52 PM

lol, same here
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

maroma  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 12:18 AM

hehehe

just meant to grab your attention

(still appropriate, right? BOOONNNNNGG!)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2002, 12:30 AM

Make sure the sound isn't muted when you restart. The volume of the startup chime is that of the system volume.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 01:29 AM

I think it has something to do with the low-level system sounds. OS X starting up wont make the chime, but earlier versions of the OS will. I'd say firmware has a part, but even on my B&W G3 its silent..and yes, volume is turned up and speakers are plugged in.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2002, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>I think it has something to do with the low-level system sounds. OS X starting up wont make the chime, but earlier versions of the OS will. I'd say firmware has a part, but even on my B&W G3 its silent..and yes, volume is turned up and speakers are plugged in.</STRONG>
On my B&W G3, the startup chime works fine. I don't think it's an OS X thing. It makes the chime before the OS even starts loading. It's an OF thing, like you said.

maroma  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 02:09 AM

UGH!

being that the startup chime is programmed in ROM, shouldn't it be the job of the OS to call that chime? OR does the fact that it's in ROM mean that it doesn't matter what OS it is, it should chime?

It's just weird that some people's bong works, and some people's don't. I could understand if it was a system level thing, but it's a ROM level thing..wth?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 02:28 AM

It's a ROM level thing. There is no way to change it via the OS.

Perhaps it is time to change the bong water?
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2002, 02:33 AM

I don't have the startup chime either. I get it when I boot into OS 9, and I get it the first time I boot back into OS X after having been booted in OS 9.

I've read lots of reports of people seeing the same behavior. Perhaps if the people who are and aren't seeing this problem post what machine they have, it will allow us to see a trend. I'll go first - my machine is a dual G4/450.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

maroma  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 02:36 AM

It's a ROM level thing. There is no way to change it via the OS.
That still doesn't explain why some people still have the chime and some don't.

Perhaps it is time to change the bong water?
Damn good idea man! It was getting stinky!

kanechap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 06:23 AM

It could be worse...

My startup chime seems to be set to 'way loud'.

Any help would be great, apart from 'put your fingers in your ears', 'just don't listen' etc

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by kanechap:
<STRONG>It could be worse...

My startup chime seems to be set to 'way loud'.

Any help would be great, apart from 'put your fingers in your ears', 'just don't listen' etc </STRONG>
What I used to do is keep some headphones plugged in and not wear them.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2002, 08:08 AM

I get a nice clean Bong half the time and the other half it just plain stinks! When is Apple going to fix these bugs? I am going to go back to using OS9. OSX is just plain unusable until they get this FIXED! hehehe :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 08:29 AM

I can't believe it's taken someone so long to point out why your computer has gone to sleep and eaten up so much RAM.
Computer thez nohhh...

thjonas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 12:03 PM

I dont know if it will work but log in as root and raise the volume. Then restart, hopefully your bong will be back.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 01:12 PM

The OS9 volume will control the startup sound. So boot into 9, make sure it's full volume, then reboot into X. Worked on my Pismo.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 01:21 PM

I can't believe it's taken someone so long to point out why your computer has gone to sleep and eaten up so much RAM.
LOL! nice one!

The OS9 volume will control the startup sound. So boot into 9, make sure it's full volume, then reboot into X. Worked on my Pismo.
My 9 volume is cranked, my X volume is cranked. I'll try logging in as root as suggested by 'thjonas'. I gotta get home from work first though.

Sounds like it's another darn bug. In the grand scheme of bugs, I'll admit that it's pretty low on the priority list. But I would still like to have this classic Macintosh tidbit back at some point. &lt;ahem Apple!&gt;

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 02:21 PM

I had the same problem. And i had to do a reinstall, and ta da it was fixed! can't hurt to try?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 06:30 PM

I had the same problem. And i had to do a reinstall, and ta da it was fixed! can't hurt to try?
Good idea, but I just did a completely fresh install of 10.1.3 just after it was released (so not too long ago). This was happening before, and still happening after the clean wipe.

Anyhoo, sounds like I'll just wait for a fix from Apple. Meanwhile, I'll just have to bellow "BOOOOOOOooooooOOONG!!" everytime I boot up (and thankfully in X, that isn't very often).

Thanks for all the responses though!

b3at
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
<STRONG>

Anyhoo, sounds like I'll just wait for a fix from Apple. Meanwhile, I'll just have to bellow "BOOOOOOOooooooOOONG!!" everytime I boot up (and thankfully in X, that isn't very often).

</STRONG>
LOL .....and if you fancy a more "classic" sound try: "Beeeeeeep"

b3at

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 05:55 PM

slighty OT���

Anyone remember that startup chime on the centris and early quadra machines? I kinda miss that one... wonder if there's a way to get it on my TiBook...

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: himself ]
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules