Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > connecting win2000 and OSX?

connecting win2000 and OSX?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2002, 12:34 PM

I have a sony vaio running windows 2000 professional and a Pismo running 10.1.4. I have files on the sony (about 1 gig) that I would like to transfer over to the Pismo via firewire. Is this possible using protocols built into 10.1 and win2000 somehow?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 12:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by tkmd:
<strong>I have a sony vaio running windows 2000 professional and a Pismo running 10.1.4. I have files on the sony (about 1 gig) that I would like to transfer over to the Pismo via firewire. Is this possible using protocols built into 10.1 and win2000 somehow?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">yes, you can use SMB to connect. smb://machinename/driveshare
smb://win2k/d-drive
not as robust as afp over ip, but it works
oh, sorry you said firewire. do you have ethernet? it pays to read the whole post.

<small>[ 06-11-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: SMacTech ]</small>

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2002, 12:49 PM

I do have ethernet on both machines but only one cable modem port. So no hub or anything like that for more than one input. So it wont with firewire betwwen the two machines?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 12:56 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by tkmd:
<strong>I do have ethernet on both machines but only one cable modem port. So no hub or anything like that for more than one input. So it wont with firewire betwwen the two machines?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Not that I know of. The Mac will not be able to view the FAT32 or NTFS drive. All you need is a cross-over ethernet cable. Some Macs don't need the xover cable, as they can automagically configure the port. But I cannot say if yours is supported.

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 01:05 PM

<strong>I have a sony vaio running windows 2000 professional and a Pismo running 10.1.4. I have files on the sony (about 1 gig) that I would like to transfer over to the Pismo via firewire. Is this possible using protocols built into 10.1 and win2000 somehow?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Boot your Pismo in "Firewire Target Mode" The windows 2000 box should just think its just anouther generic firewire harddrive. I don't have my PowerBook with me right now, but I think you hold down the command and T keys at startup to enter Firewire Target Mode. (or maybe command and F)

-Dave
12" Powerbook/1.5GHz/768MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo
OS 10.4.1

Lew
Senior User
Jun 11, 2002, 03:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dj247046:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by tkmd:
<strong>I have a sony vaio running windows 2000 professional and a Pismo running 10.1.4. I have files on the sony (about 1 gig) that I would like to transfer over to the Pismo via firewire. Is this possible using protocols built into 10.1 and win2000 somehow?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Boot your Pismo in "Firewire Target Mode" The windows 2000 box should just think its just anouther generic firewire harddrive. I don't have my PowerBook with me right now, but I think you hold down the command and T keys at startup to enter Firewire Target Mode. (or maybe command and F)

-Dave</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Won't work. Windows can't read HFS+ formatted drives.

Lew
Senior User
Jun 11, 2002, 03:14 PM

Although having said that, maybe the Windows version of the iPod software will allow the Windows machine to see the Mac in target disk mode...?

Lew
Senior User
Jun 11, 2002, 03:15 PM

What?! I can't delete my own double-posts here?

<small>[ 06-11-2002, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: GFive ]</small>

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 04:48 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by GFive:
<strong>Although having said that, maybe the Windows version of the iPod software will allow the Windows machine to see the Mac in target disk mode...?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">DataViz makes a program called MacOpener that will allow WIndows 2000 to open HFS+ formated drives. Thanks for the wake up post GFive. I had looked at this method of file transfer awhile back and I knew it should work, but I forgot about the formating issue. I decided to go with an Ethernet cross-over cable and a second NIC for the PC and then trasmit via FTP. I only get a quarter of the bandwidth, but it was allot cheaper than the Firewire method. (I already had all the parts) <a href="http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html" target="_blank">MacOpener Website</a>
OS 10.4.1

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 04:57 PM

Trying to get my image to work...
OS 10.4.1

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 07:24 PM

If I am correct, the Pismos have auto-sensing ethernet. So you DON'T NEED a crossover cable if you don't already have one. Just use a regular ethernet cable, give each machine a different IP address like 192.168.1.&lt;insert no from 1-255&gt; and that should be it. Then follow directions as SMacTech has said.

Hmm, you may even need to enter a subnet mask for it to work. If it doesn't work the first time, just add 255.255.255.0 to each computer's subnet mask field and you should be golden.
F = ma

piracy
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 10:18 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by dj247046:
<strong>Do or do not, their is no try</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Might try "there" in place of "their"...

<small>[ 06-11-2002, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: piracy ]</small>

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 10:28 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by milhous:
<strong>If I am correct, the Pismos have auto-sensing ethernet. So you DON'T NEED a crossover cable if you don't already have one. If it doesn't work the first time, just add 255.255.255.0 to each computer's subnet mask field and you should be golden.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You will need the subnet mask as milhous mentioned. I also think milhous is right, the pismos does have the auto-sense ethernet as I alluded in my first post.

<small>[ 06-11-2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: SMacTech ]</small>

barbarian
Senior User
Jun 11, 2002, 10:32 PM

1. The ethernet crossover cable is the easiest way to do this. Get Sharity (find it on versiontracker) to make things easier on the Mac side.

2. If you have MacDrive for Windows you can boot the Mac into Target mode and add it as a firewire HD.

1 is the cheaper simpler option, but if you have millions of files, 2 is much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules