Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod updater 1.2 is here so....

iPod updater 1.2 is here so....
mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2002, 08:18 PM

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 08:25 PM

my update has been installing for about 5 minutes now. Im at the "Do Not Disconnect!" message

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 08:32 PM

jp, I had the same thing with the update taking an age..., in the end I gave up and shutdown the system...when I restarted, the iPod displayed a 'tick' sign and I was ready to go...I guess there is a glitch in there somewhere.

Oh, and the update rocks

Peace,

Marc

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2002, 08:44 PM

What's with the "Do Not Disconnect" crap? I liked the Firewire logo. Now I get this annoying blinking "NO" logo.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ixleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2002, 08:47 PM

Yeah - I must have been stuck on that do not unplug for half an hour. Then I decided to unmount my iPod. ...and the Checkmark (ok to disconnect) appeared. I guess that's the trick.

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 08:55 PM

Yea - we are all idiots. lol - thats a new feature. You have to unmount firewire drive in order to get that message away.. its like a new safety feature

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2002, 08:55 PM

Yeah, when you have your iPod to mount as a hard disk, you have to manually eject it from your system, so the iPod is going to display "Do Not Disconnect" until you have manually ejected the iPod....at that time it will say "Okay, to Disconnect"....make sense?

This update is awesome...the sound check feature is what I've wanted for awhile now, thanks Apple!

One question, how does the iPod keep time when it's turned off? Enlighten me.

Thanks.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2002, 09:31 PM

I experienced the disconnect image as well, but my greater concern is how Breakout crashed a second into play with 1.2, and resetting the iPod did NOT fix the problem. The game is stuck, with the little ball just starting to come out of the left side of the screen. The iPod itself did not crash, only Breakout.

Anyone else?

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2002, 09:47 PM

I stand corrected. A reader pointed out to me that while Breakout indeed appears to have crashed, just holding the middle button for a few seconds starts the game.

Now I can recommend 1.2 wholeheartedly. It's a good update.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 09:49 PM

stupid question...how do you set the time?
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

zurek106
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2002, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:
stupid question...how do you set the time?
Settings >
Date & Time >
Set Date & Time >
Then just scroll up and down for the hour and press the fast forward button to change the minutes etc.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by jparisi:
Yea - we are all idiots. lol - thats a new feature. You have to unmount firewire drive in order to get that message away.. its like a new safety feature
*raises hand* I'm an idiot too. 2 hours! 2 HOURS!! I suck.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2002, 10:34 PM

I sat for a good 5 minutes or so.. I figured something didn't go well with the upgrade. Thusly I came here (as always) to see if anyone else had this "Problem"

Looks like we're in good shape though
This update ROCKS
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 10:52 PM

I understood the "do not disconnect" immediately....

my bigger question, do smart playlists work on the ipod????

I'm checking it out now
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

�

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 10:59 PM

ahhhhhh.....

So your smart playlist in iTunes in copied to your iPod...the smart playlists on the iPod are NOT dynamic.......

Bummer -- i would have loved to play my most listened to tracks on the ipod,,,not iTunes....
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

�

David Thompson
Aug 8, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by zurek106:

Settings >
Date & Time >
Set Date & Time >
Then just scroll up and down for the hour and press the fast forward button to change the minutes etc.
One would think that the common-sensical way to set the time would be to sync with the computer when you plug the firewire cable in, just as updates are done...
( Last edited by David Thompson; Aug 8, 2002 at 11:47 PM. )

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by zurek106:

Settings >
Date & Time >
Set Date & Time >
LOL OHHH!!!! thought it was under Extra->Clock, where you have to hold down some buttons! ^_^; Apple should make the clock sync to your computer time
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2002, 11:09 PM

I just installed it, and now my scroll wheel doesn't work. I can play songs, but only by using the five buttons...I've reinstalled several times, reset the iPod, and it won't let me install 1.1 over it...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
I just installed it, and now my scroll wheel doesn't work. I can play songs, but only by using the five buttons...I've reinstalled several times, reset the iPod, and it won't let me install 1.1 over it...
A few other sites are reporting this as well in extreme cases....still pending a solution.

TiG4
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2002, 11:44 PM

Hi all,

That "Do Not Disconnect" message was confusing.
Otherwise, the update installs some new neat apps

Question : Has anyone here successfully imported contacts into the iPod?
I tried the Entourage->iPod script but it did not work.

Thanks.
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2002, 11:48 PM

Has anyone seen if the playcount tracking updates in iTunes after you've listened to songs in iPod a couple of times and resync?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2002, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by TiG4:
Hi all,

Thanks.
The script doesn't work However, simply dragging your Entourage Address Book contacts into the "Contacts" folder on your iPod will do the trick.

Enjoy!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Has anyone seen if the playcount tracking updates in iTunes after you've listened to songs in iPod a couple of times and resync?
Nope, doesn't work for me....it's not dynamic unfortunately

ixleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 12:26 AM

On another note, I have my iPod set only to sync the checked songs, but after this update, it's been syncing all of them. Anybody else having this problem - it's quite annoying since I only have a 5gb iPod, and over 5gb of music!

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2002, 01:18 AM

( Last edited by phobos; Aug 9, 2002 at 02:04 AM. )

kfchan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 02:08 AM

Just finished the update.. noticed the silly DO NOT UNPLUG and waited for a while.

Anyway.... I've noticed that the Bass Boost is more bassy than before.. perhaps this is part of the sound check feature.. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.. no specific mention in the release notes for 1.2

kfc
------
dream, believe, create

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 02:16 AM

The calendar function works with Entourage....!!
just drag the day out of entourage into your calendar folder and that's it.. so we can use that even without iCal!!!

whoohoo

the only thing....
my battery is at one stripe the whole time!! he thinks he's empty!!
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2002, 02:17 AM

Notice the smart use of name categorizing.
E.g I search for a group. Eg Cure.So I go to c but then I remember that in the tags I have named it "the cure" so I have to go to t. By that time I get pissed with the categorizing.
Now iPod smartly recognizes the name of the group by discarding the "the" word.
So Even if your tags are named like mine "The cure" the group will be found on c!!!!
Isn't that wonderful???

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by David Thompson:

One would think that the common-sensical way to set the time would be to sync with the computer when you plug the firewire cable in, just as updates are done...
I believe that it does. When I turned on my iPod after my update, the clock was in exact sync with my Mac clock. I never had to set it. I was using Jaguar though. Wonder if that made any difference (though I doubt it).
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 02:24 AM

Does anyone know about Alarms? are they going to be a part of iCal or are can you set them independently?. Also just to ask a question again that I don't think has been answered yet, how does the iPod keep the time when it's switched off?

Is my iPod help file supposed to update? because it hasn't. Otherwise this is great, I think the idea about the 'breakout' game being paused at the start is that it used to just be running straight away without giving you a chance to get comfy!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by ericwass:

I believe that it does. When I turned on my iPod after my update, the clock was in exact sync with my Mac clock. I never had to set it. I was using Jaguar though. Wonder if that made any difference (though I doubt it).
Could well be a Jaguar thing I guess, mine didn't sync at all and i had to set it manually.
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2002, 02:33 AM

how does the iPod keep the time when it's switched off?

The iPod is never off.It's just sleeping.I bet that it's the same mechanism with some mobile phones.When you turn them off they still keep the time.But notice when you get off the battery that they loose the time.So if you don't pull out the battery it will work.
I haven;'t answered your answer completely cause I just don't know the mechanism.But the mechanism is there.Don't forget that the new feautures were already on the firmware so if it needs a special mechanism it 's built right from the start

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2002, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by TiG4:
Hi all,

Thanks.
I have been able to drag and drop contacts from the address book...it seems to work fine here However, I have never used entourage to do this....

On reflection, this update really adds alot to the iPod...I could easily leave my, mobile phone at home and not be paralysed for numbers etc and calenders...(I always have my phone turned off anyway!) but I get the added bonus of all my music! IMHO Apple is onto a massive winner with the expanded iPod concept...

Peace,

Marc

Volteface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 09:23 AM

My computer reckons this download file is uncompressed and therefore it's not having any of it.

Is this because -

(a) It doesn't work unless you have OSX (I'm Using 10.2)?

(b) I'm doing something wrong?

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 09:34 AM

>>>the only thing....my battery is at one stripe the whole time!! he thinks he's empty!!

I've noticed the same thing, only mine is stuck at 3 stripes--which is where I suspect it was when I installed the update.

I even tried recharging via AC adapter overnight and found indicator unchanged in the AM. Have not had time yet to see if battery is at full charge or not (i.e. to see if it lasts a full 10 hours or considerably less).

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 09:38 AM

Most PDAs have a second backup battery (similar to the battery that keeps PRAM settings in your Mac) which stores critical information even when the unit is off.

I suspect iPod has the same thing, but do not know that for certain.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by mpetrides:
>>>the only thing....my battery is at one stripe the whole time!! he thinks he's empty!!

I've noticed the same thing, only mine is stuck at 3 stripes--which is where I suspect it was when I installed the update.

I even tried recharging via AC adapter overnight and found indicator unchanged in the AM. Have not had time yet to see if battery is at full charge or not (i.e. to see if it lasts a full 10 hours or considerably less).
Yeah, same here....only 3 stripes...damn, I want that fixed or it will drive me crazy!

dj247046
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 01:24 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the next iPod update would include mp4 playback support. I didn't see it listed as one of the new features, so I assume that it wasn't included. Can someone confirm this? I have held off buying an iPod out of fear that mp4 support will not be firmware upgradable.

Thanks,

-Dave
12" Powerbook/1.5GHz/768MB RAM/60GB HD/Combo
OS 10.4.1

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Aug 9, 2002, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nope, doesn't work for me....it's not dynamic unfortunately
What!? SJ said it was!

parkds
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

What!? SJ said it was!
It does infact seem as if the smart play lists are passive. For example, if you set a play list of songs you have played five or more times, the play count number on the ipod and the playlist arfe only updated have you have plugged the iPod back into your computer. Don't really understand if it is keeping track of the info, why can't it dynamicly update it.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by kennethmac2000:

What!? SJ said it was!
Don't worry, it's not the first time he's told a porky pie.

tsunake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
I had the same problem, but was able to put 1.1 back on to my iPod from a Windows machine (I updated to 1.2 on the windows machine too, I'm away from my Mac at present)

I'm hoping for a solution soon as I'd like to play with 1.2

Also, the battery indicator was not accurate. Is yours?

ixleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2002, 11:24 AM

1.2 seems to have caused a strange bug on my 5gb iPod. Now the contrast goes lighter as the bar goes right (towards the full circle) and darker towards the half circle. Not earth-shattering, but still kinda weird. Anybody else?

Giles Booth
Aug 13, 2002, 06:54 AM

Mm, my 5 gig iPod also has the stuck battery indicator now I've updated to 1,2 - it goes back to a true reading if I reset the iPod... my question is, does anyone who updated from 1,1 to 1,2 not have this problem? How could Apple have goofed on such a seemingly basic function?

Forum Links
Forum Rules