Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Now that you finally got 10.2, what is your opinion?

Now that you finally got 10.2, what is your opinion?
Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 12:56 PM

Well, people are reporting the arrival of OS X 10.2 shipments. Now that you have the operating system long waited for, what are you thoughts, comments, and opinions?

How are the features?
How is the DRAMATIC SPEED INCREASE that everyone was talking about?

-Green Leaf
( Last edited by Green Leaf; Aug 23, 2002 at 04:36 PM. )

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 23, 2002, 01:26 PM

I'm glad I can finally talk about Jaguar publicly without carefully tip-toeing about our NDA.

Overally, Jaguar is really nice. It is a good build; there are certainly some bugs left over, but they are mostly minor glitches that I'm sure will be corrected in a bit.

The overall speed is up, and Mail has been greatly enhanced in terms of features and performance, making it even more pleasurable to use. I originally did not like iChat at all, but I have to admit, it has grown on me -- in addition to being cute, the bubbles really do help associate what was said with the person who said it.

I think Jaguar is a great update; I do wish, though, that Apple had offered at least some kind of a discout to existing Mac OS X users for it, even if it was just a token discount (say, $79 or so as the price).
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2002, 01:46 PM

All in all I am pleased. OK, no Icelandic font support native yet - irritating beyond belief. Win users have had Icelandic font support for ages now! OS X is a UNICODE system, but the leacy of OS 9 still prevails.

Labels. Still MIA.

The rest of it is as I said to begin with, a OK.

Some selected Reviews:

**** - the Times [...outragous!!]
***1/2 - The Reykjav�k Daily Puffin [no Icelandic support native, but good with salmon]
* - Windows Magazine [it's still very much open source...]
**** - The United Nations [the commitee on icons approves very much...]
** - the Pirhana Club [ad hoc signo]
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 01:51 PM

Much faster, cleaner looking text on my LCD, search feature is great. Mail filter is kewl. Have an issue with Win 2k server over AFP, all files are represented with a light grey dashed border around them. This doesn't happen when using SMB to mount the share.
Browsing is much faster with Omni web. This is on a 450 cube with 832mb RAM

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 02:00 PM

I honestly can't say I've noticed any speed improvements on my 733mhz quicksilver. The genie etc. is a BIT smoother with Quartz Extreme, but reports that CPU usage didn't get maxed out when running the mouse along the dock (with magnification on) were completely false.... still uses the same amount of CPU for that as without Quartz Extreme. Also, I haven't timed it, but it seems like startup time is longer.

What I'm really happy about:

They fixed the iSub!!! Finally you can also control iSub level in the Sound setting pane.

Modem sound works again on my ibook (original dual usb 500)! Also the modem is able to connect at higher rates and keep the connection on this ibook -- had troubles connecting before.

New stuff that is awesome:

I love the rotating background pictures.
iChat is cool
I LOVE sherlock!!! I didn't think it would be very cool but it is!

That's all, I'm sure there are lots of other cool things, but I've only been playing with Jaguar for a day now.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2002, 02:01 PM

So far very happy with it.

Had a small issue to begin with where the Finder kept crashing when using contextual menus - turned out to be the old FruitMenu contextual menu component. The problem vanished once I uninstalled all of the old FM bits.

The GUI is a little faster, in fact the system all round 'feels' faster. Seems to look "cleaner" as well (font/icon rendering) - if that's possible...

Haven't checked out all the new features yet (hopefully over the weekend) but it does seem to be the upgrade that most have been hoping for... myself, certainly

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 02:03 PM

I'll let you know as soon as the FedEx boys in MiddleTown PA stops jerking off and actually move my order from the warehouse where it's been "tracking" for two days.

FedEx is one of those companies I'd like to wisk back in time to the Spanish Inquisition.

"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 02:34 PM

As a clamshell iBook user, i am immeasurably grateful for this release! For one, the ability to decrease Finder font size makes the Finder so much more useful on an 800x600 screen; it's now possible to have multiple useful-sized windows open even in that cramped space. Furthermore, the speed is really a noticeable boost. even my lowly 366 iBook SE has a pretty responsive UI. Definitely worth the wait, and certainly the money. As for iChat, i think it's pretty neat, for two reasons: The 'sticking-out-tongue' smiley has crazy eyes, which amuses me. And then, the speech bubbles look really cool if your icon has a face, particularly if its mouth is near the origin of the bubble. i have a picture of Zorak (from Space Ghost) as my icon, and i can't help myself from making him do silly things.

Jaguar: Great for the easily amused.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by moki:
I'm glad I can finally talk about Jaguar publicly without carefully tip-toeing about our NDA.
So...would you care to expand on your comments a while ago about the 'really cool stuff' that apple are building into the OS ? What exactly were you referring to ?

-Q-
Aug 23, 2002, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
FedEx is one of those companies I'd like to wisk back in time to the Spanish Inquisition.

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Sorry, got my Monty Python DVD last night instead of Jag in the mail. I'm hoping it's waiting for me at home. If so, I'll post an opinion of it later....

Hypnosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 03:05 PM

Well i'm glad i have no use for print center repair utility any more...10.2 fixed my printing problem so far. No more hanging when it's opening printer connection, so i'm happy. All in all i think it's getting better, next few upgrades should polish things up.

Hypnosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 03:09 PM

Oh wait i forgot one thing,,,,IDISK is superfast now.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 23, 2002, 03:18 PM

I am very impressed with it, and it is well worth the $129 even if this is how 10.0 should have shipped

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I am very impressed with it, and it is well worth the $129 even if this is how 10.0 should have shipped
I don't understand why I keep hearing this... I don't think Apple would be out of the picture now if they had waited another year or so, but I wouldn't have purhcased a new computer early this year if OS 9 was my only option...

I'm glad to see that this working out... much fewer bitches now that it's actually out there... I'm going to pick my copy up tonight at the Apple Store... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

(Maybe I will win myself a new iMac or something...)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 03:57 PM

I love it. Awesome, stable, nifty features, fast.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

I'm going to pick my copy up tonight at the Apple Store... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you going to pay full price? Aren't you a student?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by calamar1:
As a clamshell iBook user, i am immeasurably grateful for this release! For one, the ability to decrease Finder font size makes the Finder so much more useful on an 800x600 screen; it's now possible to have multiple useful-sized windows open even in that cramped space. Furthermore, the speed is really a noticeable boost. even my lowly 366 iBook SE has a pretty responsive UI. Definitely worth the wait, and certainly the money. As for iChat, i think it's pretty neat, for two reasons: The 'sticking-out-tongue' smiley has crazy eyes, which amuses me. And then, the speech bubbles look really cool if your icon has a face, particularly if its mouth is near the origin of the bubble. i have a picture of Zorak (from Space Ghost) as my icon, and i can't help myself from making him do silly things.

Jaguar: Great for the easily amused.
That's great to hear that it is a noticeable improvement on an iBook SE. My girlfriend has one, and I was hoping that this would be a worthwhile update for her. I will be getting my copy tonight at a store party (not Apple Store though). I hope to win something while I'm there too (iPod or iMac or Jag). Woohoo!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 04:09 PM

I think Jaguar is great. Not only is it packed with compelling features for users, there's all sorts of new stuff "under the hood" that will allow developers to make even cooler apps. I'm looking forward to seeing what new software comes out in the coming year (and excited about the work I'm doing on Omni's next major releases).

I do think that Apple is justified in what it charges for 10.2. Sort of. If you bought 10.0 and got the "free" upgrade to 10.1, Jaguar is a big enough upgrade compared to what you paid for that it's worth $129. But there ought to be a reduced upgrade price for those who bought 10.1 as a full-price product rather than than as an update from 10.0... especially if they did so soon before Jaguar was announced, and especially if they bought the Server product. People who bought 10.1 Server at full price in April-July really got shafted.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Jay Bee
Aug 23, 2002, 04:26 PM

I am pleased with it. Got bang for my $. I was reluctant to upgrade at first but I figured what the heck, I'll be stuck in 10.1 limbo and it will be hard to update any further.
It seems quite a few third party apps need tweaking due to this release.
Overall I would give the 10.2 operating system five out of five stars. But for the other apps that go with it.....two out of five (until they are fixed).
Now waiting for 10.3.................

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 04:29 PM

I'm just pleased as punch with jaguar.

Still have 10.1.5 on an imac because I'm running lots of web and database stuff off of it and don't want to migrate it to jag just yet.. After using jag for two weeks, going back to 10.1.5 just hurts. Jaguar is really an amazing update and I couldn't be happier (other than a few bugs which will hopefully be fixed soon!)
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 04:36 PM

Just noticed a few minutes ago that there's a security update for jaguar on software update -- that was quick!

cwasko
Senior User
Aug 23, 2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
But there ought to be a reduced upgrade price for those who bought 10.1 as a full-price product rather than than as an update from 10.0... especially if they did so soon before Jaguar was announced, and especially if they bought the Server product. People who bought 10.1 Server at full price in April-July really got shafted.
Yea, tell me about it. I purchased a few OSX 10.0 servers last year, but just the thought of having to spend $3000 to upgrade them to Jag Server makes me pass out. The features are not there to warrant a full $1k upgrade - maybe $100-$200 per install, but not $1k.

Anyhow, I'm very happy with the client version. The new features and speed increases are worth it to me.

pegges
Aug 23, 2002, 05:28 PM

So what's the deal on java applets. Apple changed the way browsers launch applets by introducing a new Java Plug-in. Will current browsers take advantage of this? Could someone please try out an applet known to be mischieveous (sp?) under 10.1.x

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

Are you going to pay full price? Aren't you a student?
The Apple store does sell to student at student prices. No need to go to a university store, as long as you have a proof that you are a student

villalobos

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:

The Apple store does sell to student at student prices. No need to go to a university store, as long as you have a proof that you are a student

villalobos
Really? Awesome. What type of proof do they need? Will my college ID suffice? If so I'm going to the apple store tonight.
Regards,
Dave

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:

Really? Awesome. What type of proof do they need? Will my college ID suffice? If so I'm going to the apple store tonight.
I guess this must vary by store. Here in Phoenix I was not allowed to make student discounted purchases at the Apple Store.

t

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 06:07 PM

Hmm maybe it does vary. If I've got nothing to do tonight I'll probably head over there and see if they'll give me the discount with my college ID. If not I'll pick it up next week at the bookstore along with my enormously expensive textbooks
Regards,
Dave

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:

villalobos
There are two Apple Stores near me. One in Tysons, and one in Clarendon. I talked to the managers of both of them and they both told me they wouldn't allow either the educational discount or federal employee's discount (I qualify for both) on software. They told me I would have to buy online and have it shipped unless I want to pay full price.

You can use a student ID to buy discounted computers in the stores, but not software. If you ask me, this is a really dumb policy.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2002, 06:11 PM

There are two Apple Stores near me. One in Tysons, and one in Clarendon. I talked to the managers of both of them and they both told me they wouldn't allow either the educational discount or federal employee's discount (I qualify for both) on software. They told me I would have to buy online and have it shipped unless I want to pay full price.

You can use a student ID to buy discounted computers in the stores, but not software. If you ask me, this is a really dumb policy.
agreed that is pretty lame. Oh well, I wasn't even sure if I was gonna upgrade at all before so I can definitely wait a few days till I get back to school.
Regards,
Dave

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 07:36 PM

Well, the install went flawlessly on my G4 iMac. No problems there.

I'm bummed though, Sherlock won't stay where you put it. I have this obsessive-compulsion to tuck all my apps in the upper left corner when they open. But Sherlock always opens low and center, with the bottom of the program buried behind the Dock. How can one of Apple's own programs not be Dock-aware? iTunes doesn't behave this way.

Other observations... odd iChat behaviour. It locked me out of my AIM screen name due to "too much activity," but the error message was so cryptic, I had to try Adium to figure out what was going on. Not sure if that was an iChat issue or an AIM issue, but I should note it's never happened using the real AIM client or Adium.

I hate Address Book. Not saying it's garbage, but it just rubbed me wrong after 90-minutes or so of playing with it. I prefer the home phone number come before work numbers... Same with addresses and e-mail addresses. After importing all my stuff from Entourage, it was pretty scattered. With a lot of contacts, it's going to take some work to go through them one-by-one to "fix" it. I know, it's a dumb, nitpicky thing... But our computers are supposed to adjust to the way we work, not the other way around. Having a space for AIM names is nice though and the program is fast.

The program I was most excited about with Jaguar is iCal, which isn't available yet... But seeing how disappointing iChat and Address Book are, I'm no longer holding out much hope.

As for the overall speed of Jaguar, it doesn't seem any different than 10.1.5. It's satisfactorily quick, but certainly not "snappy" on a 700 Mhz G4 with the standard 256 MB of RAM. Yeah, I know 256 is a big part of the problem... If there's a problem.

Well, this was rather long-winded, but I just wanted to share my first impressions. Hope it proves interesting to someone.

Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 07:50 PM

I just installed it minutes ago, and am still familiarizing myself with the new things.

I can already say that the finder is MUCH faster, even on my middle-of-the-road 466Mghz G4 (but I do have a Radeon 8500, which I gather Quartz Extreme is using).

Also, Mozilla 1.1b seems to be working fine despite predictions that it wouldn't. Perhaps rendering is a bit slower... not sure yet.

I did the "Archive and Install" option, which almost went without a hitch: The initial Welcome screen on the installer seemed to be frozen, but I went to the menu to open Disk Utility and repaired the disk. After that, no problems.

I'm VERY happy. I'm curious to find out what negative things Thalo and his ilk will find to say.... Oh, I forgot: those of us who love OS X don't know anything!
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

theoden
Aug 24, 2002, 11:54 AM

Hm, either it's just me or Jag killed the 10.1.5 cursor dropshadow. Anyone else notice this?

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 12:11 PM

10.1.5 has a cursor dropshadow? News to me, who's been using it for quite a long time.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Footy
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::

That's great to hear that it is a noticeable improvement on an iBook SE. My girlfriend has one, and I was hoping that this would be a worthwhile update for her. I will be getting my copy tonight at a store party (not Apple Store though). I hope to win something while I'm there too (iPod or iMac or Jag). Woohoo!
I installed Jag on my wifes iBook SE 366 yesterday and I'm very very happy with it. I really believe it's faster than OS9 was. Very smooth and fast (well, as fast as a 366 could be ). However, it's running better than OS9 did.

porpoise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2002, 03:06 PM

Listen up folks. Jaguar is unbelievable. It is EXTREMELY fast, crisp, just rad in all respects. Are there bugs? Yes. But so what? This is a must-have upgrade. Quit your whining about the cost. It officially makes your mac an unmitigated pleasure to use!

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 03:06 PM

I *love* the speed increase. About the only minor quips are the following:

1. In column view you still can't resize each column independently. I wish you could as typically you have a few columns of just folder names and then the last column is the one you want to see all the text in. Minor yea. But still the speedup in the Finder is amazing. Tres cool. That was always my #1 complaint. I now feel like I can actually use the Finder. I still wish they had a little more flexible "preview" pane and that we had labels. But the improvement over 10.1.5 is so dramatic that I can't gush enough. Switching between applications and the Finder also no longer has that annoying second or two of the spinning disk. Boy that used to get on my nerves!

2. I don't know if this is a problem with Jaguar or Quickkeys in general, but the Quickkeys demo seems to not play friendly with the new version of iTunes. I wanted to setup some macros for doing various taskes and it ignores the keyboard triggers. I didn't use it with 10.1.5 though, so I can't say too much on that.

3. Mail is great! However it still doesn't handle attachments from Outlook as well as it should.

4. File sharing is dramatically improved. And I mean dramatically! It no longer is like pulling teeth to access my PC network.

More thoughts later. However I'm pleased enough that I plan on switching to my Mac as my primary machine. The speed problems with the Finder were holding me back - but no longer. I can't wait to play around with the developer tools some more.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2002, 03:57 PM

I don't have Jaguar yet (hopefully, it will arrive soon!) but I have noticed that they've updated the API documentation on their web site - I found this:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...es/AppKit.html

HFS Promises

Cocoa now supports dragging of HFS Promises for both the drag source and the drag destination. This has been added since WWDC release of 10.2.

An NSView that acts as a dragging source for HFS promises should call -[NSView dragPromisedFilesOfTypes:fromRect:source:slideBack :event:]. This method will write a new pasteboard type, NSFilePromisePboardType, with data consisting of the fileTypes array, and will also write a private type necessary to allow the destination to ask for the filenames when the drag is dropped. This is an addition to NSView.h:

- (BOOL)dragPromisedFilesOfTypes:(NSArray *)fileTypes fromRect:(NSRect)aRect source:(id)sourceObject slideBack:(BOOL)slideBack event:(NSEvent *)theEvent

fileTypes - an array of file type extensions, eg. [NSArray arrayWithObject:@"txt"] to promise one file with a .txt extension, or [NSArray arrayWithObjects:@"pdf", @"pdf", nil] to promise two files with the .pdf extension. It is also be possible to promise HFS types, using NSFileTypeForHFSTypeCode.
aRect - describes the position of the dragged image representing the file promise
sourceObject - the controller of the dragging operation, which must conform to the NSDraggingSource protocol
slideBack - whether or not the dragged image should slideback if the drag is rejected
theEvent - the mouse-down event object from which to initiate the drag operation

This method returns ____YES if the drag operation is successfully initiated, NO otherwise.

When the drag is dropped on a destination that accepts HFS promises, -namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination: will be invoked on the sourceObject. This is an addition to the NSDraggingSource informal protocol:

-(NSArray *)namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination:(NSURL *)dropDestination

dropDestination - a URL representing the drop location

This returns an array of filenames for the created files - note that this is filenames only, not full paths.

A dragging source will use the -[NSView dragPromisedFilesOfTypes:fromRect:source:slideBack :event:] to promise one or more files for dragging, but will defer creation of these files until after the drag has been dropped, so that the promised files can be created at their final destination. The actual contents of the files should not be written until after the drag has been released if the files are large, to prevent blocking the destination during a lengthy file operation. In addition, a source can promise a top-level directory, then fill in the directory contents after the drag has been released.

The destination may be either Carbon or Cocoa. If the destination is Cocoa, -performDragOperation: is called on the destination when the drag is dropped. At this point, the destination should call a new method on NSDraggingInfo to get the names for the promised files, passing the destination of the drop. This is an addition to the NSDraggingInfo protocol:

-(NSArray *)namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination:(NSURL *)dropDestination

dropDestination - a URL representing the drop location

Returns an array of filenames for the created files - note that this is filenames only, not full paths

This will cause an IPC to the source which will invoke -namesOfPromisedFilesDroppedAtDestination: on the dragging source if the source is Cocoa, or will ask for the HFS promise data if the dragging source is Carbon.
I'm happy as a clam!

There are also quite a few improvements to the .pkg package format - I'll let you know what they are as soon as I update Pacifist to support the new features. ;-)
( Last edited by CharlesS; Aug 24, 2002 at 04:06 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ink
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 03:59 PM

Sorry, I don't see any speed increase. I installed it over 10.1.5 (and I'm _not_ doing a fresh install) on my iBook/500. With the addition of spring-loaded folders (yawn) and iChat (kinda neat, since I use AIM), I can't really see any differences. If you are still running OS9, then go out and buy this now, because it isn't going to get much better. If you already have 10.1.5, then the benefit (on a non-Quartz Extreme machine) is minimal.

A cool bootup screen and a neat-o screen saver does not $130 make (at least in my book). It adds in more things missing from OS9 than anything else, so if you didn't miss them in 10.1.5 (I didn't) then you aren't going to be "blown away" by Jaguar. Again, this is all on an "old" machine that can't use Quartz Extreme.

booboo
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 07:46 PM

It's the first version of X that will persuade 9 users to migrate... those that don't primaruly need Quark (or pro-audio), and it sure as heckfire needs to be with what - 90%? of Mac users still in 9?

10.2 is a little snappier on my 733. Not much, sadly, but worthwhile. Mail seems better, and I may give Mail another shot, maybe not.

Now, due to under-the-hood fixes, I think my pro-audio app's will finally appear. Hope there's not another �99 upgrade fee before something else is fixed that allows them to do their thing...

I have, however become a little more realistic about Apple - the rose tinted spectacles are now permanently removed - due to the 'upgrade'/.mac pricing debacle. I'm even a little bitter. I've heard all the arguments, and I still think this was wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple are just another company - like Sony - that make good, and sometimes inspired, products, but who treat their customer base as just another herd to be milked - dry...

davecom
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 07:52 PM

Jaguar is everything Steve promised, but nothing more. There's no surprises. It IS faster (especially if you have quartz extreme). It does have nifty new features like the 'junk mail' in Mail.app and the Watson like Sherlock 3. Overall though you'd be fine with 10.1.5 if you're holding out to buy a new machine at Christmas anyway.

CyberDave
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 08:06 PM

Actually, it makes perfect sense if you've ever worked at an academic reseller (as I do, at my campus bookstore). The academic editions that all the software publishers put out (MS, Adobe, Macromedia, etc.) are completely different products as far as they are concerned: different SKUs, part numbers, and UPCs, even if the actual software inside the box is the same. Usually the license is different, too, to reflect the "academic use only" stipulation of the academic editions. The packaging is almost always different, as well. Usually a sticker on the outer box or shrink wrap that says "Academic Edition" or something, but sometimes this is printed on the box itself. Selling full retail boxes as academic editions doesn't make much sense once you think about it from a business perspective.

That said, Apple does sell lots of academic software in their EDU store and since shipping is usually free, all you have to pay is sales tax (just like in their retail stores). The only downside is you have a wait a bit longer to get your stuff.

CyberDave

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:

1. In column view you still can't resize each column independently.
Hold down the option key while you drag the column resize widget with the mouse.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 09:17 PM

AWESOME. I feel its without question faster - at least the UI feels more responsive, I can't speak for quartz extreme (lowly 128pro), but I am very happy - as goes with ANY OS upgrade - if a new machine is in your future - just get the OS with the new machine, if your using the machine you have - this upgrade ROCKS (this from someone who has bought all OSX inc the PB).

Installation (archive and istall) was a breeze, I think proteus is better than ichat - but free included software is always nice.

Anyone who thinks searching for files with sherlock2 was faster than the new FIND is on some serious crack- the find feature alone speeds up productivity.

I miss my ASM - hopefully it will soon be upgraded.

This OS has hit prime time. Come on quark - what is your issue? Going back to 9 seems PAINFUL. I love the jag!

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

wirewyrm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2002, 09:37 PM

G4 400 w/tosh sdr1102 combi drive, 320 mb ram and 60 gb WD Caviar HDD. Still 16mb card, so not quartz xtreme yet. Much faster generally, system prefs quicker, fixes problem with resolutions on vga monitor window redraw faster, new screensavers, updated software included find in finder is much faster than loading sherlock, most bugs squashed. Who doesnt need this update??? it really is quite an improvement on 10.1

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 09:39 PM

Installed it last night after getting it from the Apple store. I really like it. I don't notice much speed improvement, as my card isn't using Quartz Extreme. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to buy one that takes advantage of it. But I'm content with it now. I like iChat, even though I think all it's options and things are scattered all over. Hopefully version 2 will be better (and recognize capitalization of screen names).
I installed the minimize in place hack, which just replaces the current dock w/ an older. And I must say, I LOVE MIP! I know that Apple apparently used this for dev purposes, but they should expand on it. It's a good idea. Overall I'm pretty happy w/ Jag.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 11:07 PM

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:

Installation (archive and istall) was a breeze,
What have you done with the archived copy of the System? Mine was taking up too much space so I tried to copy it off onto an external drive and
it gav up halfway because of stuff it couldnt' copy. I tried to just trash
and it also seemed to get screwed up. So I went into Terminal and
did rm -r as root.

I have a 10gb PB G4 400 so I needed the space it was occupying.

Michael

Cipher13
Aug 25, 2002, 12:29 AM

Lets see.

More cutesy effects, and no way to turn them off (windows 'zooming' open). -1.

Increased speed. +1.

Better energy saver options. +1.

New 'sharing' abilities. +2.

"Apple-`" changed to Apple-Shift-G. -1, stupid.

That's just quickly off the top of my head. QE is irrelevant to my situation, as are many other things. I have no use for the firewall, and so on.

One more thing:

Refusal to communicate through a 100baseTX switch: -1000
Inability to default to half-duplex or 10baseT: -500.

Overall? I'm switching back to OS9 until a fix for the aforementioned problem is released. Right now it's making me run through a 10 meg hub - and the 10 meg hub gets speeds 200 times better than the device which is 10 times faster than itself.

The fix better be released VERY soon.

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2002, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
"Apple-`" changed to Apple-Shift-G. -1, stupid.
Ummm, do you mean for the Finder? If so, it is not stupid... command-` and command-shift-` (i.e.~) are the defaults for cycling windows in other OS X apps and it only makes sense that it should also be the case in the Finder.

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 08:26 AM

!CAUTION!

ftp is a catastrophe�

it crashed my whole system (not the finder!!!) twice while using it to connect to a standard ftp server. it works for a minute or so and then went nuts. I really had to switch off etc, finder wouldn't want to restart, I couldn't shut down appz etc etc. terrible.

all in all a nice thing but it has some flaws which make me really think if Apple should not invest more in quality assurance.

AIM: what really suxx (so I keep on using ICQ) is not the App but that AOL seems to lack of one ability: to send messages to people that aren't online! bah....

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Forum Links
Forum Rules