Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > weird keyboard shortcut

weird keyboard shortcut
dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 06:45 AM

Folks,
i use Spark ME to do audio sampling and editing. It's been fine for months. All of a sudden any time I try to type a capital d using shift-d it will open SPARK ME and a particular file. I can't type shift-d anymore in any application and it's getting annoying.

At first I thought it was a shortcut to SPARK but that wasn't it, it was the particular file. I renamed the file, same thing. I totally deleted the file, but now when I hit shift-d it does nothing at all, not even type the capital d.

This is getting very annoying. I don't know how it came about and I don't know how to get my big d back.

Also note, if I set caps lock to on and type d it works fine as such D. so it's the shift-d combination. I'm a recent switcher so don't know if there was a shortcut that has been overwritten somehow.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
( Last edited by dvdnet; Nov 11, 2003 at 07:14 AM. )

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 07:02 AM

If you are using Panther 10.3, in the Keyboard Pref pane there is a tab with short cuts. Try Looking there for an added short cut, or just press the restore defaults.

dvdnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 07:14 AM

Nope, using Jaguar 10.2.8.

This hasn't occured after any updates or anything, just out of no-where.

Cheers,
Steve

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 07:22 AM

Well you've got me stumped at the moment. Unless you have got Quickkeys or an equivalent (Fruitmenu?).

It must be the middle of the night down there in Melbourne.

dvdnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 07:26 AM

Nope, no other software that does keyboard shortcut trickery. Actually, the only last bit of software I installed was Windows media Player 9.

It's 10:30pm here in Melbourne, but still early for web developers.

Cheerio,
Steve

dvdnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 11:12 AM

Folks,
found it. MaxMenus somehow assigned shift-d to a file in my Documents folder. Don't know how it did this but it just did.

How did I find the problem? Well, i rebooted the machine and when I went to log in, I tried a shift-d a few times for the password and could see it was registering so I knew it was an app that was taking control once i logged in. I systematically killed some processes and tried a shift-d after each one. When I killed maxmenus, all was fine again. Went into the max menus prefs and the hotkeys section and there was a lone entry. removed it. all is hunky dory.

Thanks again for the responses folks.

Carry on hunting.

Steve.

Forum Links
Forum Rules