Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Internal Hard drive compatibility?

Internal Hard drive compatibility?
Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 10:04 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...91111?v=glance

Until now, I've always believed that internal hard drives are 100% cross platform. Yet on this page it lists one of the features "Compatible with Windows operating systems," which although it doesn't say it's not compatible with other systems, still makes me have my worries. If someone could just clear me up on this so I could either buy or keep looking, it'd be great...

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...91111?v=glance

Until now, I've always believed that internal hard drives are 100% cross platform. Yet on this page it lists one of the features "Compatible with Windows operating systems," which although it doesn't say it's not compatible with other systems, still makes me have my worries. If someone could just clear me up on this so I could either buy or keep looking, it'd be great...
You'd have to reformat it. Actually, it will probably come formatted as FAT32, which you can use from OS X but it will be better if you format it to HFS+.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by CatOne:
You'd have to reformat it. Actually, it will probably come formatted as FAT32, which you can use from OS X but it will be better if you format it to HFS+.
I know that if it's formatted that way it wouldn't be a problem, I was just wondering if there's like some difference between mac ATA and wintels... It seems they're the same like I thought. Just reformatting is not a problem at all though. Thanks.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
I know that if it's formatted that way it wouldn't be a problem, I was just wondering if there's like some difference between mac ATA and wintels... It seems they're the same like I thought. Just reformatting is not a problem at all though. Thanks.
Yep, they are the same. Just make sure that it's ATA and not SATA. SATA may be backwards compatible, but I'm no certain.

CIA
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 02:51 PM

It's funny you mentioned this. Waaaay back when sony released the PS2 network adaptor I noticed that the inside of it had a standard ATA connector and a molex power connector. I hooked up a old HD I had lying around, installed it and Wham, it fired right up. While it powered up and I could hear the drive spinning away, nothing showed up in the browser. So I was wondering why they didn't just release drivers on a memory card and let everyone use any old HD. Fast forward, I just got the official PS2 hard drive. It looks like a cheap 40GB single platter (guessing as it's thinner then most 3.5 inch drives) 5400, or maybe even 4200 RPM drive. Probably the cheapest they could make, but still $99, bastards!
Anyway, it hooks up the same way. I guess you could reformat it to use in a PC or Mac, but you would lose the drivers and game stuff that came pre-installed. Regardless, seems like all 3.5 inch hard drives are the same for both PC, Mac, PS2, I guess you could gut a xBox even and use one from that....
I hear the 4GB microdrives from the iPod Mini are fetching a pretty penny on eBay. buy a mini, gut the drive, and sell it for $400 online!
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 25, 2004, 07:38 PM

There have never been 4200RPM desktop drives; that speed only exists in notebook drives. Very early desktop drives were 3600RPM, but that quickly rose to 5400RPM, which was the standard for a long time.

There are plenty of single-platter drives that are just 2/3" thick. It's pretty common for the smallest size drive in a series to be that size, with all the multiplatter models being the usual 1" thick.

Most likely the reason the PS2 didn't see the drive is that it needed to be partitioned correctly first.

tooki

CIA
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 07:56 PM

Yes, it is 2/3 inch. I had not seen one before tho... However it needed to be set up in the past is moot. Not being to intimate with the inner workings of the OS on the PS2 it was a waste of time to try. Regardless, I'm sure the drive is the cheapest they could make. It does'nt really need a fast drive for what it's used for. Anyting is better then the speeds from reading off a DVD-ROM. Now I'm wondering how long it takes for clones of the drive to be available online, with some sort of hack to make your 40GB drive work with it....
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Forum Links
Forum Rules