Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3D Softwares

3D Softwares
heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 07:31 PM

Has anyone tried running Cinema 4D, Carrara 3D and Bryce 3D on their pbook 15' Al 1ghz, loaded with 768mb ram? how is the response?

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 07:41 PM

No but I've tried them (except Bryce) on my iBook 800Mhz with 384mb ram. Can't exactly say that the response blew me away

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 07:44 PM

did a maya project on my powerbook 800 5xx meg of ram, ran great if thats any help

heresiarh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 07:46 PM

tell me more about your maya project, how many frames for animation, what kind of modeling, nurbs or poly?

brkn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 11:11 PM

Both Blender and Wings 3D run quite acceptably on my Powerbook 1.25GHz/1GB ram.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 10:03 AM

Maya runs reasonably decently on my 1ghz Ti, obviously depending on the complexity of the scene being displayed. A little while back I made a fairly detailed FA18 Hornet model (nurbs and polys). With full texturing, moving the camera around did get a bit sluggish. Switching between wireframe and textured views takes a few seconds. Maybe I'll post a render up here something.

I'm going to have a bit more strenuous time soon with maya, modelling a far more detailed F14 Tomcat shortly for a project for uni. Not looking forward it too much on this 1ghz machine heh.

Let it be known though - even the dual 2ghz G5's we use at uni don't run Maya all that great. Sure it's considerably better than this powerbook, but umm, still does get a bit bogged down with this stuff

zen jihad
May 10, 2004, 12:10 PM

On the Mac, I'd probably go for something like Cinema 4D, Lightwave, or the various cheap modellers, like Wings. Maya, it's not too much fun on the Mac just now though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules