Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Changing Account's Permissions...

Changing Account's Permissions...
Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2004, 02:45 AM

Hokay. Long story short, my friend's computer no longer has any admin accounts. I need to be able to change his account from a Standard account to an Admin account, using the command line (booting and holding S). Even creating a new account or "enabling" the root account would work, as long as he can like, get access to his computer again.

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 19, 2004, 10:39 AM

Mike Bombich's site has all the info and scripts you need for this.

Craig

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2004, 06:03 PM

Where?

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2004, 06:31 PM

And when I try running the /etc/rc script from single user mode or the >console login, it says variable 1 is unbound.. What does this mean? I'm trying to start the gui in single user mode, so that I can have root and change his standard account back to an administrative one.

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 20, 2004, 10:33 AM

Under the Troubleshooting header, there are several topics in the Mac OS X Deployment paragraph. Select Mac OS X Management Custom Shell Script Library and then the info given for refresh-default-homedir.sh script and refresh-default-homedir-savetemp.sh.

You create a new fresh user account from the command line with that. You can then use that account for maintenance or repair of other accounts.

Very broad scope of tools available on that site. You may also want to go to Amit Singh's kernelthread.com. The info there about the startup sequence could be useful if you have made mods to the basic boot process scripts and files.

Craig

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2004, 11:58 AM

All those scripts appear to do is clear a home directory, and replace it with a default one. I don't see how I could create a new admin user... I'm confident that whatever I need to do has to be done through single user mode, as there are no working administrative accounts on this computer, and creating administrative accounts most likely requires an administrative password.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2004, 12:07 AM

All I need to do is change my short name and it will work. I need to be able to do this with the command line in single user mode.

Frisbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2004, 03:34 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks anyway.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Hokay. Long story short, my friend's computer no longer has any admin accounts.
Um, how did he manage that? OS X will not let you delete an administrator account unless there is another admin account available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules