Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > .Mac expiring, need a good replacement. Can someone point me in the right direction?

.Mac expiring, need a good replacement. Can someone point me in the right direction?
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 10:15 AM

MY .Mac is expiring, and i can't bring myself to renew it. I mainly use it to host pictures and have my homepage with pictures on it. So i'm looking for a website that will host them for a decent price, and maybe a program that will create HTML documents with pictures and text ( i think i had one...but lost it) and then i can upload those via FTP or something.

Any help would be good. thanks!

P.S i am open to offers for hosting as well...just let me know specs and price.
( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Aug 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2004, 01:10 PM

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 01:18 PM

I use nyip.net, comes with a nifty shell account, as well as generous bandwidth and storage space. $50 for the base package 350MB/5GB (no shell), $100 for the standard 1000Mb/35GB with databases, etc.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 01:20 PM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
MY .Mac is expiring, and i can't bring myself to renew it. I mainly use it to host pictures and have my homepage with pictures on it. So i'm looking for a website that will host them for a decent price, and maybe a program that will create HTML documents with pictures and text ( i think i had one...but lost it) and then i can upload those via FTP or something.

Any help would be good. thanks!

P.S i am open to offers for hosting as well...just let me know specs and price.
Just register a domain and get yourself some webspace. It's not as expensive as you think. I use surpass hosting, for which I pay $6 a month for 3 gigs webspace, 50gig monthly bandwidth, and unlimited email accounts.

Saad
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2004, 01:22 PM

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
SpyMac.

NO.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 01:32 PM

i use icdsoft.com right now, i have no clue if they are good or bad...i think they are pretty good...for my website with nothing on it. i have to renew by the end of the month, i haven't decided if i will keep my domain name nathanredman.com or get a new one...something different...i have been trying to come up with a hip sounding domain but maybe i will just keep the one i have???

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'm thinking about having GMail as my primary assuming I don't renew my .Mac subscription.

PS. Oasis sucks now

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2004, 02:58 PM

I use dreamhost. Excellent service, free domain registration. I've got one of their business packages with something ridiculous like 64GB bandwidth a months but even their smallest offering gives you 40GB, 75 mail accounts, PHP, mySQL, Jabber, CGI etc etc.

For storing pictures I use Gallery. Easy to install, good looking. On the fly resizing and thumbnail creation.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2004, 03:25 PM

http://sdf.lonestar.org/

They have a variety of packages you can purchase. They give you a lot for a little; they don't have anything that will automatically build web galleries, but you could install something. This takes care of hosting and stuff. Here are the two most popular packages, though they have many other packages as well.

users (free)
20mb home, 20mb web, 20mb mail
mutt, pop3, imaps, webmail, icq, bboard
games, TOPS-20, mud, gopher & more
- after account validation -
elm, pine, mailx, rmail, lynx, cgi (limited)
bash, ksh, tcsh, rc, zsh, tclsh
http://yourlogin.freeshell.org
hundreds of shell & network utilities

arpa ($36 lifetime access)
100mb home, 100mb web, 100mb mail
one time $36 initiation fee
all features of the 'users' account
voting rights on system features and policies
private 'arpa' member server
telnet, ssh, ftp, ytalk, irc, snarf
gcc, lisp, perl, php, python, ruby, et cetera

I don't really need to use them for my own web hosting, but I have a shell there (an ARPA membership) and use it from time to time; there was a time when I did keep my site there and I was pretty pleased with it. I still use it to store backups of some things and other random tasks. Nice shell to have, if nothing else.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 03:47 PM

Good luck finding a solution out there that's more integrated with your Mac than .Mac

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Good luck finding a solution out there that's more integrated with your Mac than .Mac
ya...
it's real hard to upload via FTP...

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 07:10 PM

I'm a happy spymac user. They also have a new service they call wheel that intergrates most of the functionality of .mac with their services, there was a special awhile back you could purchase it for $20.00. The e-mail offers 1 GB and has worked flawlessly for me as well. The even offer IMAP mail.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I'm a happy spymac user. They also have a new service they call wheel that intergrates most of the functionality of .mac with their services, there was a special awhile back you could purchase it for $20.00. The e-mail offers 1 GB and has worked flawlessly for me as well. The even offer IMAP mail.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:

Get a host offering webdav, and many do, and you've got 80% of the functionality. I keep my sites as folders on my desktop. I can save direct to the web. I can backup remotely. I've got webmail.

.Mac is ridiculously overpriced for what it offfers IMO.

hayesk
Aug 16, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Get a host offering webdav, and many do, and you've got 80% of the functionality. I keep my sites as folders on my desktop. I can save direct to the web. I can backup remotely. I've got webmail.

.Mac is ridiculously overpriced for what it offfers IMO.
My time is worth money. I like being able to click a few photos in iPhoto, and send 'em to .Mac. I don't want to spend time writing scripts for other servers to do things that .Mac already does for free. And once in a while, the free software from .Mac is good too.

.Mac has paid for itself for me. But to each, his own.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
My time is worth money. I like being able to click a few photos in iPhoto, and send 'em to .Mac. I don't want to spend time writing scripts for other servers to do things that .Mac already does for free. And once in a while, the free software from .Mac is good too.

.Mac has paid for itself for me. But to each, his own.

Not trying to argue, I agree with the 'each his own' and 'time si worth money' premise. But, for example, Gallery offers that feature too, out of the box. Faster and better IMO, with international print ordering build straight in. Resizing, reformatting, while retaining a high res image for high quality prints.

Not trying to talk you out of .Mac, but if you take a look around I think you'll find that most of what .Mac offers is available elsewhere for less money and with more features. But, as you've said, mileage varies

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I use dreamhost. Excellent service, free domain registration. I've got one of their business packages with something ridiculous like 64GB bandwidth a months but even their smallest offering gives you 40GB, 75 mail accounts, PHP, mySQL, Jabber, CGI etc etc.

For storing pictures I use Gallery. Easy to install, good looking. On the fly resizing and thumbnail creation.
I second Dreamhost and Gallery.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
I like being able to click a few photos in iPhoto, and send 'em to .Mac. I don't want to spend time writing scripts for other servers to do things that .Mac already does for free.
There's a pretty killer add-on to iPhoto that does that exact thing. It integrates seamlessly with the aforementioned Gallery. Click, click, 'Export', it has it's own tab and you dump the pics into whatever album or sub-album you have in Gallery. You can get it at gallery.sourceforge.net.

And yeah, the sites I host all have the option to install Gallery (and a lot of other things) thru their individual Control Panels. I just provide the basic hosting and they can install whatever they want, phpBB, blogs, whatever. I swear by Gallery tho, use it on my personal site too. It's also nice because you can allow random users to register accounts and then create albums/upload images...good for havin everybody post party pics and such...

Forum Links
Forum Rules