Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help! iChat Please.

Help! iChat Please.
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2005, 03:14 AM

I am trying to video conference with my family and they are running aim 5.9. They have DSL and I have cable. The are running at approx. 300 Kilobits per sec. I am running at 1.1 Megabits per sec. I also have iChat 2.1. The Apple website says that they should video conference but they don't. I did a little research and there seems to be many issues with this. Any way to make this work? I apologize if this has been asked to death but I didn't get any results from searching this forum. Probably asked the wrong question any help or insight to this would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 07:32 AM

I have researched this quite a bit an my conclusion is that there is no Mac-to-Windows video-conferencing solution which can get close to iChatAV-to-iChatAV between Macs. No-one appears to have had much success with AIM-to-iChatAV. Shame.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2005, 08:55 AM

Your best bet is just to use Skype.

hodaddy
Mar 26, 2005, 11:56 PM

trillian pro (the $30 version) supports both rendezvous AND video IM with iChat.
if it aint' broke, break it.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by hodaddy:
trillian pro (the $30 version) supports both rendezvous AND video IM with iChat.
Do you know of anyone who has actually used it successfully?

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Mar 27, 2005, 01:45 PM

Yes, I have chatted with a friend who owns Trillian 3.0 Pro and it worked great.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Mar 27, 2005, 01:46 PM

The quality was not as good as when I chat with another iChat user, but this could be because my friend uses a cheap USB cam with Trillian.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2005, 02:51 PM

Is there really no way to video chat between Windows and a Mac using an iSight?

I refuse to accept this as truth.

(I also have a client who will be selling his son's freshly acquired iBook if this doesn't work, since he got it for his kid primarily so they could video chat.)

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by analogika:
(I also have a client who will be selling his son's freshly acquired iBook if this doesn't work, since he got it for his kid primarily so they could video chat.)
Err, looks like your client should have investigated his 'primary purpose' a bit more. Do you not accept the advice of Tsilou B. that Mac/iChatAV/iSight will allow video-conferencing with Windows/Trillian Pro/cam will work for him? Sounds pretty good to me.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Your best bet is just to use Skype.
Doesn't support video. So why do you say this?

AIM <-> iChat doesn't seem to work either. Shame!

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Is there really no way to video chat between Windows and a Mac using an iSight?

I refuse to accept this as truth.

there is a way. Use Yahoo Messenger. I've video conferenced using my iSight with people using Win MSN, and it works perfectly.

Yahoo Messenger

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by d.fine
there is a way. Use Yahoo Messenger. I've video conferenced using my iSight with people using Win MSN, and it works perfectly.
I'm .
Are you saying you are using Yahoo! Messenger to do a videochat with Windows MSN Messenger?

As far as I know, Yahoo! Messenger works with video only, no video. It does work though.
Can't be said from iChat-AIM, although they belong to the same family (at least that is what they tell us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules