Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help Multiple Problems

Help Multiple Problems
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2005, 10:57 PM

I have a couple issues that I have never had before and I am wondering what could be causing them?

1. When I go to verify my disk permissions I get Error: no valid packages. I don't know what this means.

2. safari is continuously asking for my keychain password, and this has never happened before. Why would it do so, and is this normal?

3. Application icons constantly disappear and I am left with the white paper with an A made from to different tools.

4 Out of no were a second user became available on my login screen with no user name. root works here and I reset the password just in case.

5. some times my mouse cursor will get stuck with the i-Beam and other icons as well. Is this a normal glitch?

There may be other problems but these are the only ones that I have come across so far. I am curious why these have occurred if anyone knows the knowledge would be greatly appreciated. For know I think that I am going to have to do a reinstall but I am going to wait and see if someone can explain these to me thanks again.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 15, 2005, 11:37 PM

353 posts and you'd think you could figure out that there are no animated signatures allowed...

---

Ok give us the specifics of your setup.

1. Is it the 14" iBook?
2. OS X ... Jaguar ... Panther ... Tiger (Version) 10.2.8 for example
3. What have you changed in the past before this just happened?
4. Is your firewall on?
5. If you don't know what a package is, then why are you messing with permissions? What have you loaded on your machine recently?
6. Do you have Wi-Fi? If so, is it secure? WEP / WPA?
7. If secure, do you have an easy to guess password?
8. Is your router renamed, and is it set to not broadcast it's name? (SSID)
9. A second user name just doesn't apear out of nowhere. Anyone else have access to your machine? when you are not around? Did it just apear while you were using it? How do you know?
10. What is an i-Beam? How does it get 'stuck'? Can't move it?
11. Do you have remote access turned on? Any sharing? Anything? Take pictures of your screen with these windows open so we can help.
12. If you reinstall, we may never know what went wrong until it happens or is made to happen again...

Open Keychain and then take a picture or tell me what it says.

Applications > Utilities > Keychain

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2005, 12:22 AM

First! This is the first time that I have been on the site for almost 2 or 3 months. 1 out of the 353 posts and you would think you could see that!

Specifics Hmmm let me see. No it is not the iBook it is one of the other 2000 computers that I have listed in my signature. Oh I see you think that I put that there to brag? Well I didn't (IT'S AN iBook!)

Version: Sorry didn't think about that. 10.4.2 currently up to date.

I reinstalled OS X and made 3 partitions, so that I can install linux and whatever else I decide I want to do.
other than that all the programs are the same. I have not done anything to my iBook from the last time that I verified my permissions and it worked correctly.

Firewall: Yes it is on! (Makes sense I'll try that.)

Packages: First off I have not had the time to get to far into OS X and I am not exactly sure what package in OS X is I do know that they have permissions that run scripts applications Etc... I also know that you should verify these permissions via disk utility according to Apple to ensure that applications continue to operate correctly. It does NOT take a brain surgeon to verify permissions. I have not recently loaded anything onto my iBook.

Wi-Fi: yes I have it no it is not secure at the moment, but I am not broad casting my SSID that is just Dumb, and yes it is renamed. So is leaving it un-secure. I have been known to do stupid things on occasion. When it is secure no it is not easy to guess I use a randomly generated 128 Bit hexedecimal encription.

The second user name: This appeared after I reset my password. I am sure that this had something to do with it? I reset it because it was time to again, and I also did this from the OS X disc you know restarting with 'C'? I did this to verify the disk partition and make sure it was okay. Changed the password why I was there.

i-Beam: his is when the cursor changes from a pointer when you are in a text document or running over text with the pointer. The icon it's self is called i-Beam.

No nothing is turned on. everything is off including iTunes and the firewall again is on!

I would love to take pictures of the screen but all the free time that I had I used writing all this crap down. Now I will check in to see if anyone has anything useful to tell me while I get ready for some stuff that I have to do tomorrow.

Thank you for any useful help.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 12:34 AM

Edited by budster.

--

Good luck.
( Last edited by budster101; Sep 16, 2005 at 12:42 AM. )

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks I got it.

you obviously have nothing worthwhile to say ****er! HAHA

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 07:13 AM

For 1) Look in your /Library/Receipts folder and let us know if there is anything there (did you delete anything from that folder in the past?) - if there are no files, then Repair permissions will not work as it needs the .pkg receipts left in this folder by the Installer app after you install any .pkg files.

2) Launch /Applications/Keychain Access and run Keychain First Aid (from the Keychain Access>Run Keychain First Aid menu option. If no problems are found, list your keychain items by Application and delete the one called Safari Forms Autofill. Hopefully, that'll do the trick once it is recreated the next time you run Safari.

3) Deleting the Launch Services cache may solve this issue - download e.g. Onyx from www.versiontracker.com and run its Cleaning routines to delete the System and User Caches.

4) Delete the second user, I guess - can you log into that account with your old password? Do that first if you can and check there is nothing in the account that you need to keep.

5) Occasionally happens to me too, but clicking somewhere else on screen/in a different app clears it.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 08:24 AM

I decided you were not worth helping. "Not worth my time"

---

Take your computer into Apple and have them fix the mess you made of it.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2005, 01:20 AM

I don't need apple to do that for me, and it is not a mess. From what I can see there is a lot more that is not worth your time less than a year, and you have that many posts! Get a freaking life there crazy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules