Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hot-swappable SCSI or ATA Compact Flash Reader

Hot-swappable SCSI or ATA Compact Flash Reader
quicksilverG4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 03:03 PM

I know there are SCSI and ATA compact flash readers out there. I want to use my camera's SD card in a SD->CF adapter in such a reader. I've seen several that might work but I want something that allows the cards to be hot-swapped (if possible) since I don't want to reboot the system every time I need to insert or pull the card.

Anybody know of one? I'd also like to hear from anybody who's got something like this setup even if it doesn't support hot-swapping.

Tom

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 03:15 PM

Why don't you just use the usual USB/FireWire card readers. All of them are hot-swappable and will be as fast as possible (if you have USB 2 and use a USB 2 card reader).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 03:35 PM

Because the Mac I'm using doesn't have USB and I don't want to waste a PCI slot with a USB card when the only reason I would need USB would be for a card reader.

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 03:58 PM

Your nick suggests you use a quicksilver which does have USB ports. If you refer to the G3 you talk about in the other thread, then a USB PCI card will probably still be the cheapest way. It might actually be cheaper to get a Mac with USB and replace the old machine than going for the SCSI solution

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 04:14 PM

I no longer have a Quicksilver, I just hold onto the nick since it was my first G4 and first new Mac.

Cheap's not the point, plus a SCSI solution would let me use it on other systems that lack USB.

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 04:35 PM

So the problem is that ATA compact flash readers (for desktops) are usually not hot-pluggable. And that they occupy a 5.25" slot or a pci card slot (i. e. you cannot easily use them in other Macs and it defeats the purpose of `saving a PCI slot').

The last time I heard of SCSI compact flash readers was when the first digital slrs came out roughly 10 years ago and I guess newer CF cards are incompatible with the old readers. A search came up empty.

There are newer hot-pluggable 5.25 all use USB connectors.

I don't think there is a solution that fits your bill.

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 05:52 PM

I was considering this but need to hear back on some questions and need to find someone who sells it.

This LEM article is what got me started on the idea.

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 06:27 PM

Honestly, you can get a used machine for that price. Why are you so adamant on a SCSI solution, if I may ask? What are you trying to do with it?

You could get a used G3 (here is another one) or G4 with USB for very little. Obviously, such a machine would also be much faster than what you are using now.

Note that for the solution you've linked to, you need an additional PCMCIA-CF adapter (which isn't expensive, but it definitely adds up). I haven't heard of anyone using a SCSI-PCMCIA adapter her, though.

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 06:45 PM

Because a SCSI solution has the potential to work with other systems such as my SGIs. There are plenty of people who would love to be able to pull photos onto one without needing a PC or Mac as an intermediary.

However, at $718 for the external MCDISK that one is VERY quickly ruled out. That's approaching G5 $!!!

OreoCookie
May 30, 2007, 06:54 PM

You could exchange files via network. The alternatives make more sense to me. Out of curiosity: what do you need the SGIs for? What kind are they? O2s?

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2007, 10:55 AM

I've seen card readers for PC towers, no idea what interfaces they have though. There seems to be some here:

Internal & External PCMCIA Card Readers/Writers� (PC Card Drives) for Desktop PCs & Macs, ( PCI, ISA, IDE, firewire, USB, PC104 & parallel port models)

quicksilverG4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You could exchange files via network. The alternatives make more sense to me. Out of curiosity: what do you need the SGIs for? What kind are they? O2s?
Bothering with running 2 systems at once and transferring over a network is just what I'm trying to get away from. The SGIs are O2s, Octanes, Fuels (though I don't have a Fuel), etc. The question of how to get photos onto an SGI without the hassle of booting another computer gets asked repeatedly, especially with respect to O2s.

This LEM page is what got me started on the idea. I think I'll give the $35 Mosaic reader a try. Its cheap enough for a test run.

Forum Links
Forum Rules