Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask

Questions that you always wanted to ask but were afraid to ask (Page 11)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
A huge butt is bad for winter.

A huge butt only warms your butt.
The throne is made of iron. That shit be cold.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2018, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Then again, there are the Swedes, a tall thin northern people...
This is also environmental. I’d be skinny too if the only thing to eat was herring.

If they could catch pierogis in a net, they’d be huge in no time.

mindwaves  (op)
Jun 19, 2018, 03:02 AM

I did a google search and came up with answers such as those posted above. But some ladies especially have such large posteriors in relation to their waists, that it just seems odd. Sure they are obese but their posterior area is super morbidly obese. I guess that the fat just collects there first and stays there.

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2018, 11:40 AM

different body types, is all. My family tends to gain weight in the gut, not the butt.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2018, 04:01 PM

Anyone else's family gain weight primarily in the gobbler?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2018, 06:58 PM

There’s some genetic component to how fat is distributed on a body. It is absolutely amazing to me that there are actually clothes cut for booties that can be measured in cubic meters. But there are.

I have the “opportunity” to see people from a vast range of ethnicities and backgrounds at their very worst - I am a rehab occupational therapist. And while I see what mindwaves is talking about, I see it in that whole range.

From my professional standpoint, that particular excessive distribution of fat makes it very difficult for a person to do a number of things. Like use toilet paper. Sit safely on a straight backed chair. Navigate a doorway. So it’s clear that this isn’t something people like, nor that they have any control over - aside from their overall weight, anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 21, 2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Anyone else's family gain weight primarily in the gobbler?
I'm a face-and-gut weight gainer. Skinny arms and legs and no butt.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Navigate a doorway.
I have a friend who’s ginormous. Not in the butt region, but all over.

He was always huge, but age and injuries (car sailed off the side of a mountain road) have put him in sumo wrestler territory.

With a normal door, he has to go through sideways.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm a face-and-gut weight gainer. Skinny arms and legs and no butt.
Respect.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2018, 04:57 AM

Why is it “ay” at the end for Pig Latin?

Wouldnt “um” or “o” oundsum oremo Latin-y?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2018, 12:10 PM

Femina est in villa.

jumitoprenove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2018, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
From The Walking Dead:

1) What happened to all of the new cars? They all seem to be driving junkers which always seem to be breaking down.

2) Why do they still fight the Walkers with short knives? Shouldn't they all be using swords or pitchforks or some homemade, longish weapon with a knife as a backup?
I think it is for dramatic effect. Knives kinds of stuffs gives people thrilling and exciting feelings. Wasted cars create a atmosphere of apocalypse. However, I agree with you. There is already 8 seasons and the story of TWD is becoming so stupid that I wanna quit watching it, thanks to the editor of TWD.

jumitoprenove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2018, 02:51 AM

Any suggestion for a man who wanna decorate his apartment with all aluminium stuffs? Better to be hardcore, multicultural, multi-tech stylish aluminium decoration.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2018, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jumitoprenove View Post
I think it is for dramatic effect. Knives kinds of stuffs gives people thrilling and exciting feelings. Wasted cars create a atmosphere of apocalypse. However, I agree with you. There is already 8 seasons and the story of TWD is becoming so stupid that I wanna quit watching it, thanks to the editor of TWD.
I know its hot down south but no-one has thought to liberate a suit of armour from a museum either. Better yet, make a suit from polycarbonate or similar. The walkers all have rotten teeth and gums, poly and kevlar and you'd be fine to stop worrying about them pretty much.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jumitoprenove View Post
Any suggestion for a man who wanna decorate his apartment with all aluminium stuffs? Better to be hardcore, multicultural, multi-tech stylish aluminium decoration.
I'd be afraid to ask that question, too.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 3, 2018, 01:37 PM

I have 3 trashcans, one blue, one black, and on green. The green to be used for green waste such as lawn clippings. I was on the phone to my trash company and they had recorded messages saying that birds of paradise, cactus, and palm fronds should be placed in the black trashcans, and not green. Why aren't these plants/tree clippings considered green?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2018, 03:15 PM

My guess is they’re “stringy”, and gum up the mulcher.

P
Jul 3, 2018, 03:38 PM

I know that big leaves are a problem in big composting plants, because they get stuck everywhere. Cacti I guess are full of liquids?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2018, 02:43 PM

Have T-Rex costumes become the new horse mask?

andi*pandi
Jul 5, 2018, 02:54 PM

last halloween they were.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2018, 02:58 PM

Will it be like Hollywood, where we got westerns, and then dinosaur movies, so it’ll be some superhero thing next?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 5, 2018, 08:41 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:54 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2018, 05:25 PM

The "t-rex with reachers" is now, at least unofficially, the mascot for my profession: occupational therapy.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2018, 05:36 PM

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2018, 06:31 PM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:14 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 05:41 AM

You set out to explain big butts and ended up explaining President Trump, among other things. Love it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2018, 07:04 AM

I’m not sure I get the Tuatara analogy.

How exactly have they degenerated?

Decline in numbers from better competitors isn’t degeneration, at least not the way I understand the word.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 9, 2018, 09:11 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:54 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
As society progresses to provide even more structure, stability and solve more problems in people's lives, people will evolve to be even less healthy, less efficient, lower fitness, less intellectualness, less mentally fit all around.
How is this measured? With modern improvements in prenatal care, nutrition, and education (both quality of and access to), we (the modern world, not necessarily America) probably have the best educated populace in all of history. "Intellectualness" is a result of all other problems being solved - if you don't have to fight for your food and survival, you finally have time to sit around and ask, "Why?"
( Last edited by Laminar; Jul 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
If they make a Spaceballs 4K, will it gross $1B?
It's all about the moichandizing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
How is this measured? With modern improvements in prenatal care, nutrition, and education (both quality of and access to), we (the modern world, not necessarily America) probably have the best educated populace in all of history. "Intellectualness" is a result of all other problems being solved - if you don't have to fight for your food and survival, you finally have time to sit around and ask, "Why?"
But then you get persuaded to stop asking why and buy more crap and before you know it you're watching Fox News and think the Earth is flat.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2018, 04:21 PM

Nm. I must read betterer in the footure

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2018, 04:25 PM

I got edit jacked.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2018, 04:29 PM

45/47

andi*pandi
Jul 9, 2018, 04:36 PM

I still like this one.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2018, 01:43 PM

I’m not sure I get the Tuatara analogy.
How exactly have they degenerated?
Decline in numbers from better competitors isn’t degeneration, at least not the way I understand the word.
It's a very dumb animal. There's a famous video out there somewhere from the Life series or Wild New Zealand or something, showing a few tuataras trying to catch a weta, they fail most the time banging their head into the ground despite the weta just sitting there only a few centimeters away. I tried to post it in my previous post but couldn't find it.

Laminar How is this measured? With modern improvements in prenatal care, nutrition, and education (both quality of and access to), we (the modern world, not necessarily America) probably have the best educated populace in all of history. "Intellectualness" is a result of all other problems being solved - if you don't have to fight for your food and survival, you finally have time to sit around and ask, "Why?"
Yes, but while asking "why" might be interesting, it isn't a requirement for survival. Therefore there is no selection pressure for this optional act. The ability to work on our intelectness is a mere side effect of what used to be a required intelligence that evolved for survival, particularly to solve the most basic of problems by today's standards. Today if I'm hungry I only need to take a 15 minute trip to the store, it doesn't matter if there's a local drought, flood, or el nino; if I hear there's going to be a cold front of 2 degrees I only need to push a button on the thermostat to solve the problem then go back to watching my favorite reality show, The Apprentice or netflix. However 300 years ago if I were alone on a multi month scouting trip for my tribe in Africa (or any number of places really), I need to be able to think my way out of a bad drought, foresee where the food will migrate to, & remain level headed during times of stress. If I get injured I need to be able to solve the problem myself as there's no hospital around. That might seem more boring in modern times, but requires more intelligence than sitting around asking "why?", and my life would be dependent on solving these most basic of problems quickly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2018, 02:30 PM

There’s evidence they used to be smarter? Where’s the degeneration?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2018, 06:38 PM

Why did Shakespeare write so much about Italians?

Thorzdad
Jul 30, 2018, 06:50 PM

Higher body count than writing about the English?

andi*pandi
Jul 30, 2018, 07:14 PM

You'd have to ask Marlowe.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2018, 07:44 PM

I prefer Bacon.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 31, 2018, 12:38 AM

Why did Shakespeare write so much about Italians?
For me, the bigger question is why do high schoolers have to read about his plays and other stuff? Or at least why can’t his plays like Hamlet be at least translated into modern English? I spent 70% of my time just trying to figure out what he was saying, as opposed to actually focusing on the plot at hand.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2018, 07:32 AM

Shakespeare invented half the words in the English language. It does require some extra effort to decipher some of the deeper language but you don't get better playing the game on easy mode.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2018, 10:00 AM

Tom Stoppard:
GUIL: What will you play?
PLAYER: "The Murder of Gonzago".
GUIL: Full of fine cadence and corpses.
PLAYER: Pirated from the Italian....
ROS: What is it about?
PLAYER: It's about a King and Queen....
GUIL: Escapism! What else?
PLAYER: Blood - -
GUIL: - Love and rhetoric.
PLAYER: Yes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2018, 11:41 AM

For me, the bigger question is why do high schoolers have to read about his plays and other stuff? Or at least why can’t his plays like Hamlet be at least translated into modern English? I spent 70% of my time just trying to figure out what he was saying, as opposed to actually focusing on the plot at hand.
Why do people go to museums to look at old paintings? Why aren’t they just translated into anime and run through a snapchat filter? I spent 90% of my time just trying to figure out what Mona Lisa‘s facial expression meant, as opposed to actually focusing on the content of the image.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2018, 12:43 PM

Because then you would miss out on the sound and rhythm of the language, of the sense of place and time and character. You would miss half the play.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 31, 2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Why do people go to museums to look at old paintings? Why aren’t they just translated into anime and run through a snapchat filter? I spent 90% of my time just trying to figure out what Mona Lisa‘s facial expression meant, as opposed to actually focusing on the content of the image.
Totally wrong analogy here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2018, 11:28 PM

However brilliant Shakespeare is as literature, it’s more brilliant as an expertly staged play because that’s the medium Shakespeare was writing for.

I think you can get a 14-year-old to read a mountain of iambic pentameter that wasn’t really meant to be read in the first place because everybody’s illiterate, but I don’t start there.

mindwaves  (op)
Aug 1, 2018, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Because then you would miss out on the sound and rhythm of the language, of the sense of place and time and character. You would miss half the play.
Seems like a reasonable answer. I once helped a student in a foreign country who was studying at an “American high school.” She had to read Hamlet or something else written by Shakespeare and the book was totally dumbed town for the people because they weren’t native English speakers. I kind of felt cheated because I didn’t know such books existed when I was in high school (only had cliff notes which isn’t the same). My high school teacher really tested if you read the book or not but quizzing us on various trivial things in the book that the cliff notes wouldn’t cover, like how were the shoes described or what color was the blanket.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2018, 09:43 AM

Knowing about iambic pintameter really comes in handy around tax season.

FWIW I despised that year of English class in HS, if you don’t have a decent grasp on the English language by junior year odds are Shakespearean poetry isn’t going to make a lick of difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules