Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Go

Go
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2016, 03:11 PM

No-one else playing Pokémon Go?

Its good fun. Mobile gaming was made for Pokémon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2016, 03:13 PM

I've installed it and will test it out tonight.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2016, 04:50 PM

Be careful out there. I'm hearing reports of people getting injured. It sounds like texting while walking incidents, walking into traffic etc.
45/47

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2016, 05:10 PM

I live across the street (literally) from a church, post-office and library. Near by there are two more churches and the Town Hall. It has been hilarious around here for the last 48 hrs.

My g/f and I found ourselves sucumbing to the Pokemon craze and I'll say I'm not hating it. I reaaaaally wish there was a way to PvP people around you though, I would greatly enjoy learning the combat system with my g/f instead of schlepping down to the gym. Bonus points for being able to sit on my couch and make use of three landmarks for swag.

My current best creature

While playing RL this bastard pops up, took a good dozen attempts to finally capture him.

Quite literally everyone I see under the age of 40 is playing this, it's kind of crazy.

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2016, 05:23 PM

I was disappointed there isn't any pokemon in my work area. :/

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2016, 07:50 PM

I can't catch anything in my village unless its within ten feet of my house. Mobile data here sucks big time, thinking of switching carriers. Luckily I get about a bit most days, on the downside, its surprising how many stops you can ping and Pokémon you can catch one handed while driving.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2016, 09:55 PM

I had too many connection errors and the app froze repeatedly. There was a squirtle in my neighbors yard but I couldn't catch it.

I used the gmail login and it doesn't seem to remember your settings, every time I launch I have to log in again. Very annoying. Anyone else?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2016, 10:23 PM

Servers have been shit all night. Constant crashes and forgetting login info.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2016, 03:06 AM

I tried it but unfortunately I don't "get it". My daughter thinks it's the bomb though, so I set up her own phone with nothing but Go on it. It's good exercise, I guess.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2016, 02:38 PM

Apparently there is an update. I've had no server issues all day but then its not officially out here yet.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2016, 03:21 PM

Spoke too soon. I'm blaming you lot for waking up.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2016, 04:16 PM

The City of Phoenix posted this to their FB page.
45/47

andi*pandi
Jul 12, 2016, 04:17 PM

thx for heads up on update. It seems to remember me now, but I just saw a pokemon and the app quit in fright.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2016, 10:09 PM

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2016, 10:49 PM

Yeah they even show up in Auschwitz. People are not thrilled.

andi*pandi
Jul 13, 2016, 09:26 AM

on the other hand, there are lots of other smaller less somber museums which are getting more foot traffic (and admissions fees).

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2016, 11:08 AM

You thought his Brexit book was fast...

I do wish he paid more attention to kerning, though.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I live across the street (literally) from a church, post-office and library. Near by there are two more churches and the Town Hall. It has been hilarious around here for the last 48 hrs.

My g/f and I found ourselves sucumbing to the Pokemon craze and I'll say I'm not hating it. I reaaaaally wish there was a way to PvP people around you though, I would greatly enjoy learning the combat system with my g/f instead of schlepping down to the gym. Bonus points for being able to sit on my couch and make use of three landmarks for swag.

My current best creature

While playing RL this bastard pops up, took a good dozen attempts to finally capture him.

Quite literally everyone I see under the age of 40 is playing this, it's kind of crazy.
What level were you when you found that Flareon? I'm not finding anything much above ~200-300 CP in the wild.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2016, 08:23 AM

I evolved him from many Eevee's and spent a large amount of stardust getting his CP that high.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2016, 09:02 PM

Ah cool.

I just evolved an Eevee I caught @258CP and and after only one extra power up its now a Vaporeon @740CP. Ran out of candy.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2016, 04:31 AM

The world right now if you don't play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZ7JzecnqY

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The world right now if you don't play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZ7JzecnqY
I wish I was recording this: as I was leaving the break room I said to one of my coworkers "hey Joe, there's a Pikachu over here" A female coworker jumped up, grabbed her phone and asked where?

She then said "don't do that!"

That would make for an interesting YouTube video: going to malls or parks and saying "hey, there's a Charizard over here!"

Oops too late!
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2016, 12:19 PM

45/47

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2016, 10:00 AM

Seems unlikely, only first generation Pokémon are around so far.

I couldn't see one.
http://pokevision.com/

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2016, 05:35 PM

No words.
45/47

andi*pandi
Jul 28, 2016, 09:47 AM

after a few app updates, it seems to be stable enough where it usually doesn't crash when we capture a pokemon. My daughter insists I need a new phone in order to better play.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2016, 01:44 PM

No talk about the Niantic implosion? Google actually had to turn off refunds for the in-app purchases, just to stem the hemorrhaging. Last I checked it had plummeted to a 1.5 rating.

So what's the deal? They're now milking people for more pokeball money by decreasing the success rate?

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2016, 06:59 PM

They've made it slightly harder but thats not whats doing it. Its because they turned off the tracking system to save their servers so they can roll out in more countries.

Without the trackers (and having blocked the the 3rd party sites who were offering tracking services) its really hard to find Pokémon that show on your radar as nearby. Its blind luck that you pick the right direction and find them because otherwise they will despawn before you can methodically search them out. Not a problem so much when you're looking for your 100th Magikarp, but when you see a Dragonite and can't find it, people get pissed really fast.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 3, 2016, 04:08 PM

Such a dumb reason to be pissed. Most RPGs randomly generate monsters on a map (based on type of geography, level you're at, etc.) and that's been accepted practice for decades. Now they can't "cheat" and they get upset? Just play the game. If you catch them, great. If not, try again by moving to a new location.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2016, 04:42 PM

Well, it takes the "hunt" out of it. I didn't use the 3rd party sites, but it was fun to see the leaves rustle, go there, and see what was there. Now, we find ourselves walking in circles to see if anything appears. My daughter finds it frustrating to chase the leaves and there be nothing there. Not enough to stop playing tho...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2016, 11:24 PM

The 1, 2, 3 tracks thing was great, when it worked, now there's really no "hunt" to it at all, just luck. Also we went out and caught some this evening and the escape rate is much higher now, I'd say 20-25%. At least Emma has learned to pick up her Pokeballs that miss. For a while there she was buying 1200-2500 coins per day (rural play sucks though, and we often have to put down lures). At least the porch area is a gym and there are a pair of stops on the property. The best upgrade for her was to an iPad mini, its battery is much more robust.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2016, 04:40 AM

You can't pick up missed Pokéballs. Its a myth. Possibly stemming from a glitch.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2016, 06:29 PM

No idea, I don't play. She's been using less, I've had to approve fewer purchases, so I thought that could be the reason (or maybe she's just getting better at the game).

Edit: Ahh, I looked it up and it seems it was removed from the game. That sucks.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 4, 2016, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The 1, 2, 3 tracks thing was great, when it worked, now there's really no "hunt" to it at all, just luck. Also we went out and caught some this evening and the escape rate is much higher now, I'd say 20-25%. At least Emma has learned to pick up her Pokeballs that miss. For a while there she was buying 1200-2500 coins per day (rural play sucks though, and we often have to put down lures). At least the porch area is a gym and there are a pair of stops on the property. The best upgrade for her was to an iPad mini, its battery is much more robust.
The escape rate IS way higher after the update.
Also, they took out XP bonus for "nice" "good" and "excellent" throws. Now you only get extra for a curveball.

But I'm with you, the 1,2,3 thing was great.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2016, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No idea, I don't play. She's been using less, I've had to approve fewer purchases, so I thought that could be the reason (or maybe she's just getting better at the game).

Edit: Ahh, I looked it up and it seems it was removed from the game. That sucks.
I think they fixed the glitch that made it look like you had sometimes picked a ball up.

If you have 3 pokestops on your property you shouldn't really be paying for balls at all. Just get her one of those miniature cars that kids drive if they are too far apart to walk to all day.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2016, 03:47 PM

Apparently there's a lot more to buy besides Pokeballs; lures, incubators, eggs, incense, and food. She does seem to use a lot of Pokeballs, though. But hey, she's figuring it all out on her own, unless she asks for help I don't interfere.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2016, 03:51 PM

I haven't bought anything yet, but then I'm only catching about 10 max a day. Pokestops typically give me 2 balls on average (sometimes I'll get 1 or 4) along with other stuff. Pokestops also have a good chance to give you eggs, potions, etc.

As for hunting it is tough finding out where these nearby creatures are. I heard Ingress, another similar game they developed can help you with finding hot spots.

I'll probably buy some coins soon. It's hard getting coins from gyms. Most gyms around my area have much higher pokemon than me and few open spots in the gym.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules