Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Justin Beiber

Justin Beiber
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 12:43 AM

What's the deal with this kid? Why are people going apeshit over him? What's so special about him?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2010, 01:10 AM

Dude, have you seen her? She's freaking hot.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 26, 2010, 01:19 AM

... and I thought this was a thread about a new beer brand.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2010, 01:26 AM

OMG, Justin Beiber. OMG OMG OMG!

(NSFW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-sbVtaeA0
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 26, 2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added NSFW warning)
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 01:47 AM

It's the hair. Even tho I have see so many with the cut before him.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 02:00 AM

Heh, he booked a local bowling alley owned by an acquaintance a few months back, for himself and his entourage. They wondered who this "Justin Beaver" kid was and why this kid had an entourage.

Actually, I didn't know who he was either until then, but strangely enough a lot of the women where I work knew all about him. And no, they're not teeny-boppers.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 02:35 AM

So, people care about him because he has nice hair? That's it?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
OMG, Justin Beiber. OMG OMG OMG!

(NSFW) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV-sbVtaeA0

Is that Beiber's naked mom?
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 26, 2010 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Added NSFW warning)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 26, 2010, 06:16 AM

But he’s a maverick now, he got a tattoo!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 06:38 AM

who?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What's the deal with this kid? Why are people going apeshit over him? What's so special about him?
If by people you mean 15 year old girls and older woman who still act like 15 year old girls.

Plus lesbians love to look like him:
Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber

Woman in Bar Mistaken for Justin Bieber - omg! news on Yahoo!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 11:50 AM

Pfff, my turtle has better looking hair than this kid.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2010, 12:33 PM

Looks like he should be in The Beatles.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
If by people you mean 15 year old girls and older woman who still act like 15 year old girls.

Plus lesbians love to look like him:
Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber

Woman in Bar Mistaken for Justin Bieber - omg! news on Yahoo!
I thought this chick looks like Justin Bieber:

YouTube - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - Beyonce
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Sealobo
Jun 26, 2010, 03:37 PM

blame modern parenthood where teens have sufficient disposable "income" to support such nonsense.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 03:40 PM

Does Beiber have any speakable, discernible talent?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 04:07 PM

Does Beiber have any speakable, discernible talent?
I don't like any of his songs but he can actually sing. He was discovered on youtube or somethin'

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 04:13 PM

A lot of people can sing. Do you mean he's quite good and not just being solely carried by other things, or that he's good enough to be able to justify all the attention he gets?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 11:56 PM

A lot of people can sing. Do you mean he's quite good and not just being solely carried by other things, or that he's good enough to be able to justify all the attention he gets?
Lets just say he has a talent for making money and fame whatever the reason. Good for him since he is richer and more famous than anyone here, smart kid.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 12:20 AM

Lets just say he has a talent for making money and fame whatever the reason. Good for him since he is richer and more famous than anyone here, smart kid.

I have no problem with his fame at all, I just don't understand the appeal to the product, is all

This shows my bias though. I generally think that anybody that young cannot really have much of anything to offer musically, as they simply lack the life experience to really have anything of real depth to offer. Perhaps they have enough depth to relate to other 15 year olds, but obviously 15 year olds can find something for them in adult artists, so... *shrug*

Artistry is not tethered to any age group, but ya still have to have something to say.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 12:27 AM

I generally think that anybody that young cannot really have much of anything to offer musically
It's not musicality that he has to offer. Teen girls have been long since been trained to buy anything having to do with someone they're told to view as a heart-throb. This year it's Beiber, next year it'll be someone else.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It's not musicality that he has to offer. Teen girls have been long since been trained to buy anything having to do with someone they're told to view as a heart-throb. This year it's Beiber, next year it'll be someone else.

I guess you're right, although I'd bet that he has less staying power than old school heart-throbs such as Elvis Presley.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 01:04 AM

I'd bet that he has less staying power than old school heart-throbs such as Elvis Presley.
Sure, I suspect over the years they've refined their ability to create a heart throb. It's much more cost effective to have a new one every year. An Elvis Presley will start to cost more as his popularity matures whereas a Justin Beiber can be milked dry before he even realizes that he only made enough money to pay back his amount owed for his first and second albums.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 07:33 AM

He (apparently) is a good singer and better than a lot of popular singers today. His singing is not unique though - it's good in a very mainstream type of way, and he's a teen heartthrob. Perfect mix for $.

I have no problem with his fame at all, I just don't understand the appeal to the product, is all

This shows my bias though. I generally think that anybody that young cannot really have much of anything to offer musically, as they simply lack the life experience to really have anything of real depth to offer. Perhaps they have enough depth to relate to other 15 year olds, but obviously 15 year olds can find something for them in adult artists, so... *shrug*
You're not a 15 year-old girl.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 10:18 AM

Oh ok. How many songs did you listen to?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 04:54 PM

Oh ok. How many songs did you listen to?
No clue... Which songs should I listen to?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
He (apparently) is a good singer
I don't like any of his songs but he can actually sing.
No. It's all Autotune.

Good for him since he is richer ... than anyone here, smart kid.
No.

Success? Beiber is musak for the Zwinky generation - the feminised, infantile pussies that North America is fast becoming full of. Debbie Gibson but with less testosterone.

Quick, have a dose of the antidote.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 29, 2010, 01:46 PM

Iowa REPRESENT

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No. It's all Autotune.

No.

Success? Beiber is musak for the Zwinky generation - the feminised, infantile pussies that North America is fast becoming full of. Debbie Gibson but with less testosterone.

Quick, have a dose of the antidote.

Why does music require testosterone?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 02:40 PM

Why does music require testosterone?
Because if you remove all the testosterone you end up with Justin Beiber. Or jazz.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 02:47 PM

Because if you remove all the testosterone you end up with Justin Beiber. Or jazz.

What happens if you are a woman? Can you ever fully understand the music if it is testosterone driven, or is the object just to make women want to have sex with the testosterone?

I'm just teasing you as you are me, but truthfully, I do believe that music is best experienced when you experience all of it - the testosterone and non-testosterone. I realize that one cannot expect an artist to fully satisfy everything, but I've never understood why people want to limit themselves to one range of emotions when it comes to the music they listen to from day to day. What seems to be shafted the most often is pure beauty in music. I don't mean the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" interpretive side of beauty, I mean music that really explores beauty in life in an attempt to relate to commonality in humanity.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:42 PM

What happens if you are a woman?
Well, if you're a woman you can take your girlie Metallica album and get back to the kitchen. On the double. Those pizzas ain't going to heat themselves up, you know.

What seems to be shafted the most often is pure beauty in music. I don't mean the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" interpretive side of beauty, I mean music that really explores beauty in life in an attempt to relate to commonality in humanity.
That sounds like hippie crap to me Bess.
YouTube - "Lesbian Seagull" - Engelbert Humperdinck

True story: I met Engelbert in a hotel lift once. Hadn't got a clue who he was. The end.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:53 PM

That sounds like hippie crap to me Bess.
YouTube - "Lesbian Seagull" - Engelbert Humperdinck

True story: I met Engelbert in a hotel lift once. Hadn't got a clue who he was. The end.

Nah, some of us just have more than on and off switches and have moods and stuff... Surely there are occasions where you feel inspired to listen to something other than testosterone-laden rock and the like? I know there are, I just want you to say so so that I can tease you some more, you bag of beans.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 03:57 PM

Nah, some of us just have more than on and off switches and have moods and stuff...
Is this a monthly cycle thing Bess?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:01 PM

Is this a monthly cycle thing Bess?

No, it's completely random. It's called being a human being. I know you're just giving me shit, but I do often wonder if I'm somehow abnormal in not wanting to listen to the same music all the time, whatever that may be.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 04:42 PM

You ain't abnormal Bess. Well, aside from your love of jazz, of course. Perhaps just a bit girlie.
Of course, all of us have our guilty pleasures and sometimes like to listen to lighter music to suit our mood.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:06 PM

You ain't abnormal Bess. Well, aside from your love of jazz, of course. Perhaps just a bit girlie.
Of course, all of us have our guilty pleasures and sometimes like to listen to lighter music to suit our mood.

Being completely serious now, what would it take to get people in general to look outside of their comfort zone in seeking out music? This isn't to disparage any particular kind of music, I'm speaking primarily to the people that are just locked into top 40 or one kind of music and haven't never even heard of the sorts of artists we assume that everybody has at least heard of?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 29, 2010, 05:22 PM

Being completely serious now, what would it take to get people in general to look outside of their comfort zone in seeking out music? This isn't to disparage any particular kind of music, I'm speaking primarily to the people that are just locked into top 40 or one kind of music and haven't never even heard of the sorts of artists we assume that everybody has at least heard of?
Wait...what's wrong with being locked into the top 40? If that style and depth of music speaks to a person emotionally, why would consider them "locked"? How many Miley Cyrus albums do you own? How dare you lock yourself out of such a wide variety of music! What would it take to get you to expand your horizons and appreciate more than the tiny niche that you do?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Wait...what's wrong with being locked into the top 40? If that style and depth of music speaks to a person emotionally, why would consider them "locked"? How many Miley Cyrus albums do you own? How dare you lock yourself out of such a wide variety of music! What would it take to get you to expand your horizons and appreciate more than the tiny niche that you do?

Who said anything about owning albums? I'm talking about simply seeking out new music and giving it a try. I would consider them locked if that was *all* they listened to, because how would they know that there isn't some other music that speaks to them emotionally too, in a similar or different way, or even stronger way?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 05:28 PM

What constitutes "giving it a try"?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What constitutes "giving it a try"?

Listening to a different radio station, internet radio station, borrowing something from a friend, borrowing something from the library, listening to something different on YouTube, letting somebody take you to a concert, whatever. There are all sorts of ways to discover new music, it stems from a natural curiosity in not only the present, but the centuries of music that preceded.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:44 PM

Problem is Bess, a awful lot of people don't have their own taste in music - they simply "like" whatever is served up to them and have been told is "cool". It's more peer pressure than actual taste. Which is how we end up with stuff like Beiber.
As the young and impressionable grow older, their musical taste tends to resemble a slightly more sophisticated version of whatever it was peer-pressure told them to like when they were young.
There's no way around this - it comes down to the fact that most people are sheep.
Of course, if you're able to judge the market and decide which direction you want to herd the sheep (and have product ready to go), then it's a cash cow.

This doesn't mean that everyone is a sheep, obviously. Most here, for example, are not - they've gone and bought themselves a computer which is aimed at those outside the herd, for starters.

How does one compare Beiber with something like this? Can't be done - apples and oranges. One is a Macdonald's happy meal, the other is haute cuisine.

Eloi and Morlocks. That's how it's gonna end, for sure.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 05:57 PM

Problem is Bess, a awful lot of people don't have their own taste in music - they simply "like" whatever is served up to them and have been told is "cool". It's more peer pressure than actual taste. Which is how we end up with stuff like Beiber.
As the young and impressionable grow older, their musical taste tends to resemble a slightly more sophisticated version of whatever it was peer-pressure told them to like when they were young.
There's no way around this - it comes down to the fact that most people are sheep.
Of course, if you're able to judge the market and decide which direction you want to herd the sheep (and have product ready to go), then it's a cash cow.

This doesn't mean that everyone is a sheep, obviously. Most here, for example, are not - they've gone and bought themselves a computer which is aimed at those outside the herd, for starters.

How does one compare Beiber with something like this? Can't be done - apples and oranges. One is a Macdonald's happy meal, the other is haute cuisine.

Eloi and Morlocks. That's how it's gonna end, for sure.

I would argue that we have to change this sort of thing if we want some semblance of innovation, prosperity, and general advancement as a society.

It's not just about music, it's a much larger thing... Look at all of the people that only go to boring ass chain restaurants, that have boring ass conversations, lead boring ass lives, live in boring ass homes, never go anywhere, have no interest in any art (including good film), and basically the extent of their entertainment is watching some popular sport, watching whatever is on TV, paying $12 to go see Transformers 2, and maybe going to Pizza Hut or Applebees or Red Lobster on a special occasion. This is the product of a lack of curiosity, a lack of wanting to improve, a lack of real inspiration and purpose. All of these sorts of things are richened by a vibrant culture, no matter what you are into.

Often times the same people that do not challenge themselves with music do not challenge themselves with anything else, either. Do you guys notice how at the end of Apple's keynotes they often showcase some pretty decent band? How Jobs talks about his love of Dylan? I guarantee you that those top dudes at Apple live fairly inspired lives, and probably are at least aware of a Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Johnny Cash, or whatever....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 06:17 PM

I hear ya Bess.

But you know what? I think we've regressed - at least since the early '90s. People just seem to be stupider and stupider. For example, my local film theatre (the one with the scary subtitled foreign films which doesn't carry mainstream) has recently taken to giving free admission for certain films - this tells me that they ain't getting bums on seats. Which may mean that there's less people willing to view films which may be outside their comfort zone (i.e. they have to watch with subtitles).

So, if this is the case, why are we getting stupider? Facebook? YouTube? The Internet? Is there so much available on tap to everyone that people close down before they get to the good stuff in order to prevent overload? Back in the '90s we had four/five TV channels - all pretty good. Now we have thousands - all shit. Are people simply being overloaded?

Of course, I could just be turning into a grouchy old git, but I don't believe so (I've always been a grouchy old git).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 06:31 PM

I hear ya Bess.

But you know what? I think we've regressed - at least since the early '90s. People just seem to be stupider and stupider. For example, my local film theatre (the one with the scary subtitled foreign films which doesn't carry mainstream) has recently taken to giving free admission for certain films - this tells me that they ain't getting bums on seats. Which may mean that there's less people willing to view films which may be outside their comfort zone (i.e. they have to watch with subtitles).

So, if this is the case, why are we getting stupider? Facebook? YouTube? The Internet? Is there so much available on tap to everyone that people close down before they get to the good stuff in order to prevent overload? Back in the '90s we had four/five TV channels - all pretty good. Now we have thousands - all shit. Are people simply being overloaded?

Of course, I could just be turning into a grouchy old git, but I don't believe so (I've always been a grouchy old git).

There has always been media, music, and aspects to any culture in the past that was absolute dreck, I haven't really decided whether we are in a cultural decline, and if so, what the causes are... Possible causes:

- Something about our busy lives and not having time for stuff

- Something about our education and ease of life

- Something about the internet and technology in general like you said (although some would argue that if there has been a decline that this started prior to the internet)

- Something about our politics and what we choose to value as a society

- Something about the free market and what the big record labels have done to the industry

- Something about too much entertainment competing with our desire to leave the house

- Something about Jeff Goldblum

I haven't really decided which of these, if any, make the most sense to me. You?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 06:42 PM

Well I'm pretty sure that none of the blame is due to Jeff. But aside from that, my jury's out.

Sure, we've always had media which has always been dreck. Just not as much of it, so it was easier for people to sift through the crap and get to the good stuff.

Oh, and there's one more possibility: The advent of cheap computer music creation products. Ableton, et al.. Plink plinkety plink, bish bash bosh. I'll bet the most strenuous job in the Beiber production machine is being his hairdresser.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 06:53 PM

Well I'm pretty sure that none of the blame is due to Jeff. But aside from that, my jury's out.

Sure, we've always had media which has always been dreck. Just not as much of it, so it was easier for people to sift through the crap and get to the good stuff.

Oh, and there's one more possibility: The advent of cheap computer music creation products. Ableton, et al.. Plink plinkety plink, bish bash bosh. I'll bet the most strenuous job in the Beiber production machine is being his hairdresser.

Well, people had cable TV in what, the 80s? The major record labels dominated the music that was sold when, the 90s? Radio control in the 90s? When would you say that it was easier for people to sift through, and when would you say that the alleged culture decline started?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 06:54 PM

You probably have a point.

Justin Bieber: Bungee Jumping...With His Mom! - E! Online

Note at 1:24, at the bottom of the fall, his bangs maintain their position and shape.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 06:57 PM

For a pop song dripping with irony you might want to check out Miley Cyrus' "I can't be tamed."

That song is the very essence of what is wrong with popular music. Manufactured, coached artists 'breaking out of their mold' by singing a song someone else wrote. Hilarious.

I'd like to openly thank my father for exposing me to good music right off the bat, and my sister for continuing to broaden my musical horizons as early as 3rd grade. When I was 8 years old I was listening to Primus, my next band was Tool. I've never shunned mainstream media just to be 'indie' or whatever, but I genuinely hate it. I find it so unimaginative, so tired, so cliche. The idea that somewhere, there is a stadium filled with Nickelback fans simply astounds me.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 07:08 PM

Well, people had cable TV in what, the 80s? The major record labels dominated the music that was sold when, the 90s? Radio control in the 90s? When would you say that it was easier for people to sift through, and when would you say that the alleged culture decline started?
For Europe, I'm gonna go with the mid to late '90s - which kind of coincides with the serious rise in bleepy crap.

I took absolutely no notice of the US pop scene during the '90s, but Debbie Gibson was never this bad, surely? OK... Let's try and pinpoint. Backstreet Boys were OK, so after them. Britney's first was OK, so after that. Aguilera's first was OK. And then we start getting all the Robin Antin-esque poop, along with American Idol, etc..
Wait. This Beiber pap/cultural implosion really is all Zwinky driven, isn't it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules