Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New iPods on Monday

New iPods on Monday (Page 2)
joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
a) I know many that DO have such a large collection - much of it legal. Music collectors are not, and have never been, a rare phenomenon.
I never said that they are.

If you had read correctly, you would see that I was responding to someone questioning the need for 50+ gb ipods, suggesting another possible reason why someone would want a larger drive other than the size of their current collection.

I'm waiting to buy a 60gb because I'm ripping my CDs again at lower compression rates for better quality. Some of your many music collector friends will buy one to house all their partially-legal mp3 quality music.

Either way, you'll apparently be stuck with your 5gb that won't record.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
I'm waiting to buy a 60gb because I'm ripping my CDs again at lower compression rates for better quality.
Ah, *that* is what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah. I've taken to ripping to ALE format in anticipation of larger iPods...

Either way, you'll apparently be stuck with your 5gb that won't record.
I'm waiting for the final specs (they might just not advertise that feature in the press), but I fear you may be right.

My loss, and Apple's for the people I know who WON'T be buying one.

-s*

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:15 AM

just when I thought that this ipod alternative could be a serious contender, the new ipod it seems will pull away even further!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 09:48 AM

Apparently there is no 60GB. Just a 100 dollar price reduction on the 20 and 40GB models. Do you guys think that this means that the 299 20GB model will include the dock etc or just be the gimp of the family again?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:19 AM

I imagine that yes, the 20Gb becomes the low end model sans dock.

It appears that "it's about the music stupid!" still reins supreme...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by amsalpemkcus:
just when I thought that this ipod alternative could be a serious contender, the new ipod it seems will pull away even further!
I assume you were joking? 2 hour battery life rocks my socks...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Apparently there is no 60GB. Just a 100 dollar price reduction on the 20 and 40GB models. Do you guys think that this means that the 299 20GB model will include the dock etc or just be the gimp of the family again?
i suspect that the 20gb will be the "gimp" as you put it...and that we will see the 3rd model in the family - the 60gb version - later this summer when those tiny 60gb drives become available.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 11:00 AM

so there's only going to be two models? thats weird.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Wow 10 GB is all of the music I own.

How many of you that have 50+GB actually listen to most of it?
i have 11gig and i can't listen to most of it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 11:05 AM

I wonder if the 40GB will still be thicker than the 20GB. If it is, then the entire iPod lineup will have three sizes for the size conscious--the mini, the thin 20, and the thick 40.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
I wonder if the 40GB will still be thicker than the 20GB. If it is, then the entire iPod lineup will have three sizes for the size conscious--the mini, the thin 20, and the thick 40.
I bet the 20 & 40 will be the same size. If it is, I'll might just get a 40GB to replace my trusty 30GB..

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 11:33 AM

I wonder when their will be available...since the 'cram & jam' promotion is going on....hmmm i wonder if they will be applicable to the promotion...any thoughts on this?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
I wonder when their will be available...since the 'cram & jam' promotion is going on....hmmm i wonder if they will be applicable to the promotion...any thoughts on this?
I think it will be.

The promotion simply says purchase any iPod. The only restrictions are the notebooks that are eligible.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I bet the 20 & 40 will be the same size. If it is, I'll might just get a 40GB to replace my trusty 30GB..
I agree with you. I sold my 30 a month ago and would love to have the 40 if it's the same thickness as the 20. But I bet it's still thicker. After all, the hard drive mechanism itself is thicker because it has 2 platters versus 1 for the 20.

Chris

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 12:23 PM

HA! I'm soo glad I didn't buy that 15 gigger! Hazzah!

Hmmm maybe I can get an 3G cheap.. then again... I was saying I wanted a mini because I liked the desgin better... dang it! Oh well we shall see what sales people have... I'm all about saving money but... either way this is nice!
I think I'm gona get one...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
oh man, time to sell my 40!!!!

Anyone interested?
How much ?

-t

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 02:03 PM

I'm confused about what iPod I'm going to get via the contest!

Promotion Description. The 100 Millionth Download Promotion (the �Promotion�) is a sweepstakes promotion in which entrants downloading songs through the iTunes Music Store (�iTunes�) will be eligible to win one of forty-nine 20GB iPods (approximate retail value : US $399) or the grand prize of a 40GB iPod, a 17 inch PowerBook computer, and a gift certificate redeemable for 10,000 songs from iTunes (approximate total retail value based on single track pricing: US $13,198). One 20GB iPod will be awarded for each 100,000th song downloaded beginning with the 95,100,000th download until iTunes reaches its 100 millionth download. For the 100 millionth download, one lucky winner will win the grand prize.
$399?

Uhh...

This $299 thing really sucks for me. I was going to perhaps sell the 20 GB iPod for $399...

I just lost $100. Thanks, Apple!

Okay, I shouldn't be complaining, but I mean...

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
IOkay, I shouldn't be complaining, but I mean...

Yes?

What do you mean, then?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 02:33 PM

Yes?

What do you mean, then?

Well, it's just that, for over a week, I've been led to believe that I had won $399. I just lost $100, in essence...you know?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 02:35 PM

Well, it's just that, for over a week, I've been led to believe that I had won $399. I just lost $100, in essence...you know?
Poor thing, you.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 02:50 PM

You won a 20 gig iPod?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 02:52 PM

Poor thing, you.
Enough! If you thought you had won a certain sum of money, and that sum decreased by $100, you too would be a little dissapointed. Don't give me that crap. I'm sure as hell not asking for sympathy...just understanding.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 02:55 PM

Enough! If you thought you had won a certain sum of money, and that sum decreased by $100, you too would be a little dissapointed. Don't give me that crap. I'm sure as hell not asking for sympathy...just understanding.

You didn't win a sum of money.

You won an iPod. They aren't giving you a smaller iPod, they are giving you exactly what you wanted.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 02:57 PM

You didn't win a sum of money.

You won an iPod. They aren't giving you a smaller iPod, they are giving you exactly what you wanted.
Except for the fact that I was thinking about selling it, as I have no real use for an iPod. I use iTunes all the time, but I'm not a music-on-the-go kind of person.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 02:58 PM

Except for the fact that I was thinking about selling it, as I have no real use for an iPod. I use iTunes all the time, but I'm not a music-on-the-go kind of person.
That isn't Apple's problem. When you won it, the retail price was $399. You can still sell it for $350 because it has the dock etc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 02:59 PM

They shrank your iPod!?

THE BASTARDS!

Oh...they didn't?

Yeah, so they crossed your plans to sell it.

THE BASTARDS!

I'd send it back.

-s*

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 03:03 PM

You know... if you're so mad... you could mail it to me... I'd pay the shipping...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:19 PM

So you really won it after all? (98,300,000 being Tavi Nathanson which I'm assuming was you...)

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:21 PM

That isn't Apple's problem. When you won it, the retail price was $399. You can still sell it for $350 because it has the dock etc.
Hey, I'm not blaming Apple, and I'm not mad. I'm simply a little frustrated that, in essence, I lost a little money. You would be a tad bit frustrated, too...enough!

They shrank your iPod!?

THE BASTARDS!

Oh...they didn't?

Yeah, so they crossed your plans to sell it.

THE BASTARDS!

I'd send it back.

-s*
Please see my response above.

Originally posted by Superchicken:
You know... if you're so mad... you could mail it to me... I'd pay the shipping...
Once again, see above.

Originally posted by Krypton:
So you really won it after all? (98,300,000 being Tavi Nathanson which I'm assuming was you...)
I don't lie, and this was established long ago by the rest of the MacNN community. Where were you?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2004, 03:36 PM

Hey, I'm not blaming Apple, and I'm not mad. I'm simply a little frustrated that, in essence, I lost a little money. You would be a tad bit frustrated, too...enough!

Please see my response above.

Once again, see above.
I saw your posts.

Have you heard the old saying about not counting your chickens before they're hatched?

Unless you've already spent the money?

Because even if you sell it off the second you get it, that's a free $300 or more.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't "lost" a thing.

Sorry to hear about your win.

-s*

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 03:47 PM

I don't lie, and this was established long ago by the rest of the MacNN community. Where were you?
Well the last I saw, the thread got locked and several people were extremely pissed off. I couldn't find the follow up.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 03:58 PM

You would be a tad bit frustrated, too

.... nope, I'd be thrilled to have won a free iPod. Even if I was going to sell it I'd still be thrilled because it didn't cost anything.

stop your whining!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 04:13 PM

.... nope, I'd be thrilled to have won a free iPod. Even if I was going to sell it I'd still be thrilled because it didn't cost anything.

stop your whining!
I saw your posts.

Have you heard the old saying about not counting your chickens before they're hatched?

Unless you've already spent the money?

Because even if you sell it off the second you get it, that's a free $300 or more.

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't "lost" a thing.

Sorry to hear about your win.

-s*
I am thrilled to have won a free iPod. I would simply be more thrilled if I had won $400, and not $300, especially since I told people that I won an iPod equivalent to a $400 sum of money. You don't know what you would feel in this situation, because you have no experienced it. I promise that if had been planning on selling it, and this had happened, you'd feel exactly the same way. You will surely deny it (if I were you, I also would deny it), but it's true. You just don't know what kinds of feelings are involved in a situation that you have no part in.

...and I'm not whining. I'm simply a tad bit frustrated, but still thrilled to have won an iPod. of course, over a week ago, when I was really thrilled, this community didn't exactly like to hear my exasperation! I was tossed aside as a liar. Now, after that moment has passed, you all proclaim that I'm a selfish whiner. Hmm...

I'm sorry that the moment of my exhilaraton has passed, and now, while I'm back on Earth, I do feel a loss of $100. This does not mean that I'm not grateful for the other $300. Just because everyone was too busy laughing at me, saying I was a liar, to see how excited I was to win the iPod, does not mean that I wasn't, and am not, thrilled.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 04:23 PM

I think we should all ignore this tavilach dude. He has ruined this thread.

I can't wait until tomorrow. I plan on buying one of these new iPods as soon as possible.. Finally upgrading my 2G 10GB iPod.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 04:30 PM

I think we should all ignore this tavilach dude. He has ruined this thread.

I can't wait until tomorrow. I plan on buying one of these new iPods as soon as possible.. Finally upgrading my 2G 10GB iPod.
I'm very excited about the new iPods, too. It's not my fault that people decided to flame me.

Hooray for Apple!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 04:36 PM

Can we vote someone off the island?

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
You're all so hostile. It's very annoying.

Get on with your lives! If you dislike me, then stop talking about me.

Now, back to the topic of the thread...

New iPods on Monday!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:

Nice sig!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nice sig!

Agreed .

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by jld:

I got pushed into the pool with my original 5 gig ipod in my pocket, a couple weeks ago. My brother in law felt bad and promised to replace it. I wanted to wait for a new release, but he felt so bad he went out and got me one last week.
Your brother in law is really nice. Your 1g 5 gig was probably worth less than $100, and he bought you an iPod worth at least $300. How could you possibly complain?

If I were your brother in law I'd demand the iPod back, after seeing your attitude. You should be THANKFUL.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
Your brother in law is really nice. Your 1g 5 gig was probably worth less than $100, and he bought you an iPod worth at least $300. How could you possibly complain?

If I were your brother in law I'd demand the iPod back, after seeing your attitude. You should be THANKFUL.
Heh. 1G 5GB ipods are selling for like $150 on ebay. Don't doubt the resale value

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 05:01 PM

Heh. 1G 5GB ipods are selling for like $150 on ebay. Don't doubt the resale value
my 5gb is still kicking, although it is pretty scuffed up and the battery life isn't what it used to be. i'd kind of like it to die so i can buy a new ipod

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 06:28 PM

buy a new one in expectance of the old 5gig soon death. you know you want to

last year the old ipod was announced on monday and it arrived at people's houses by friday right?
i wonder if this year is going to be the same.

i am going on holiday for a month this coming friday, i wonder if i order an ipod if it will arrive before i go to the airport.
hmmmm

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by mdc:

last year the old ipod was announced on monday and it arrived at people's houses by friday right?

i am going on holiday for a month this coming friday, i wonder if i order an ipod if it will arrive before i go to the airport.
hmmmm
Or if there is an Apple retail by you just drive there and pick it up

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Nice sig!

Thanks! I figured it was about time to whip something up. I forgot I had the Indie font, and it ended up being perfect. Simple, bright, hot.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by mdc:

hmmmm
<jack black> ship it TO the airport man! </jack black>

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hey, Dell will give you $100 for your iPod... as long as you buy one of theirs.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 07:48 PM

Steve looks a bit evil in the pic...

- Damn, my iPod is out of date now

-Owl

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 07:50 PM

If that's the case, then Small Dog's Trade-In program is giving 1G owners the shaft. They're offer is $75 credit towards a new iPod provided that the owner has ALL the packaging supplies, earbuds, etc. etc.

Funny, I bought my refurbed 5gb from Small Dog 2 years ago. With that type of trade-in, it's just not worth it.

47 posts to go...
F = ma

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 08:03 PM

Or if there is an Apple retail by you just drive there and pick it up
i thought that, but if i remember correctly they only went on sale at 6pm that friday. too late.

Forum Links
Forum Rules