Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail 1.2 (Jaguar)

Mail 1.2 (Jaguar)
rytc
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 09:54 AM

I've upgraded my computer to Jaguar and so have the new version of Mail (1.2). In the old version of mail all the subfolders that were present on my IMAP account were listed on the Mailbox pane, however in this version all there is is In, Out, Sent Deleted and none of my subfolders. How to I make them show up else I cannot read the mail in them. I have existing rules that are directing mail into some of these folders that are still in effect however I cannot read these emaails at the moment.

??
Cheers

rytc  (op)
Senior User
Oct 23, 2002, 11:21 AM

I found the following reply on Apples Discussion forums, looks like it is a common problem but easily solved. It worked for me

Cheers Ry

BEGIN QUOTE
I ran into this from three different angles as a sys admin.

First a Mail.app user on 10.2 complained that they couldn't see any folders other than the INBOX for their IMAP account. It had worked on the previous version of Mail.app. But coincidentally when they set up their second IMAP account, the INBOX icon had a little triangle that when opened, revealed their two IMAP accounts. Each had a little triangle that when opened, revealed both accounts' folder structures. Moral: two accounts are better than one.

That didn't seem very cool, so I surmised that unlike previous versions of Mail.app and many other mail clients, Mail.app 1.2 wasn't able to determine the folder prefix automatically. I had the user go back to a single account and enter INBOX as the folder prefix in the account settings Advanced tab, and voila! the folders now appeared under a new account icon, even without the second account. INBOX happens to be the standard prefix on our Cyrus IMAP servers, but it may vary on other servers. You might have to contact your email hoster to get it, but other mail clients may show it in their preferences. Moral: Mac OS X still needs dirty little secrets.

Finally another 10.2 user also said they couldn't see any folders. My earlier approaches failed to uncover their folders. Looking into the account on the server, I found that the user had a folder hierarchy that included INBOX->INBOX->Drafts. The user claimed to have never created this hierarchy. They had only used Mail.app 1.x, and it appeared that one of the versions had built a questionable directory structure (INBOX inside of INBOX) that confused it. So I deleted the second level INBOX and Drafts from the server, as the user could not. Once the folder prefix was entered, all was well. Moral: be kind to your sys admin.

rytc  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 11:47 AM

Ok so the aforementioned trick "works" for a while until mail decides to start adding extra inboxes. My IMAP structure was
INBOX:other folders and now also has
INBOX:INBOX:
with the result that mail no longer knows where to find new messages. With the INBOX prefix I can see all my folders but cannot see messages in my INBOX without it, I can see the INBOX messages but cannot see the folders.
Solution involved accessing my IMAP email using a different email client to delete the erroneous INBOX and Mail works again. I find it hard to believe no one else is having trouble with mail?? This new version is a definate backwards step over version 1 in terms of IMAP support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules