Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tablet PCs: Yay or nay?

Tablet PCs: Yay or nay?
DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Dec 19, 2002, 03:02 AM

I was watching the TechTV report on the tablet pc, and I want to know what you guys think. They seem a big flawed for their sky high prices. I can see where a doctor or a lawyer would find them useful, but for normal everyday use wouldn't it be better to wait until they are improved. I hear they have problems recognizing hand writing, and additionally, they just seem overpriced. A lot of that stuff can be done on a PDA for a lot cheaper. What would be your big incentive to buy or not buy?
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Dec 19, 2002, 03:04 AM

I think they will be good in a couple years and Apple will come out with one when they are not so big, clunky, underpowered and expensive.

"Hello, what have we here?

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 19, 2002, 03:10 AM

idea: yay
current form: nay

they need to mature some more

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 01:01 PM

Handwriting recognition sucks. I played with the Toshiba one yesterday at CompUSA.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 02:07 PM

Terrible idea. Most people that know how to type can type MUCH faster than they can write.

Where's the advantage?

This is a product for a niche market. A *VERY VERY* small niche market. I can see them useful for: Factory supervisors, perhaps meter readers (where a PDA might even do better), perhaps UPS drivers ..

Most doctors I know do better with audio notes into a tape recorder. (Maybe tablets have speech recognition because they certainly won't recognize a doctor's handwriting.)

I can't even seeing a hospital nurse using them with their current size and form-factor. (A WinCE PDA again might be a better solution.)

I see the tablets as a long-shot attempt to grow a market which simple doesn't exist yet. (A solution with no problem.)

I really do hope I'm wrong and they take off ... I'm in a position to make a TON of money off of these things if they do. (But I'm not counting my eggs until I find out my chicken is a hen.)

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by driven:

Where's the advantage?
Because, as a college student, I would love nothing more than to have to carry a Tablet to class to do all my notes. Take it one step further, and convert my textbooks to eBooks (you can still do all the highlighting/notetaking in it, etc), and my backpack just became obsolete for a little notebook bag.

If that became a reality, I would be the first in line for one.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me

Vanquish
Dec 20, 2002, 04:08 PM

tablet PC's are gay

no seriously though they are quite useless IMO. They are to big. If thay have foldable screens that are about as thick as a piece of paper THEN I would consider one. But at the moment you are better off with a laptop. (PDA sucks too, I love my old school agenda and pen)

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 04:26 PM

You may want to do a search for tabletPC topics in the lounge and the notebook threads. Several people who have worked with the things have posted solid reviews (myself included). The concensus seemed to be wait for the next rev before seriously looking, but if the parts that are working now are what you want, still wait. YMMV.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 04:30 PM

I was really impressed with the Compaq convertable ones. It is essentially a laptop who's screen can rotate and cover the kybd to be used as a tablet. It has the special screen and everything. The handwriting is pretty good, but not flawless. I'd say for word processing, typing kicks it's ass, but forms and things like that would definatly see advantage. I could see ecologists and people who do a lot of outdoor work using these extensively. Also UPS.

You average shmuck like you and I would never need one.

I though the Compaq models especially usefull because they arn't making a dedicated product, they are simply adding utility to an existing (and proven) product.

I'll concure with the others that they need maturity and development. I won't ever buy one, but they are definatly a Yay.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 05:08 PM

Give them 3 more years to get better, faster, and cheaper.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:

Because, as a college student, I would love nothing more than to have to carry a Tablet to class to do all my notes. Take it one step further, and convert my textbooks to eBooks (you can still do all the highlighting/notetaking in it, etc), and my backpack just became obsolete for a little notebook bag.

If that became a reality, I would be the first in line for one.
Why can't you bring a laptop? Nearly every student in my lectures brings their laptop to take notes. So ... I usually give them the powerpoint slides ahead of time so that they can notate each one.
(I would think typing would be faster than handwriting.)*

* = Exception being classes where "drawing" would be an advantage .. math, chem, etc.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 07:31 PM

never mind ... (Link not complete.)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2002, 07:45 PM

No particular function imo....therefore no market segement that would 'benifit' from this technology. it's a nice extension to the laptop/notebook. but as far as a standalone devise, it's like an oversized PDA. if there was a laptop and a Tablet PC with similar size/functionality for roughly the same price, id go with the tablet, but if there's a major price difference and difference in functionality/spped. id get the laptop.

in the long run, i fell it's the hybrid laptop-tablet that will win.

That being said, i think it would be in Apple's interest to have at least their pro notebooks, with tablet like functionality with a stylus....im sure art professionals would love that.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2002, 08:23 PM

if they were, much smaller, like perhaps powerbook or (better yet) ibook sized, I'd get one.

They ARE handy, as that could entirely replace using pen and paper for classes.

It even has handwritting, but I'd only need that for math, graphics perhaps, etc.

There ARE NICE ADVANTAGES to this, but in almost every case I'd be happier with the keyboard.

And thus, convertible or bust.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by driven:

Why can't you bring a laptop? Nearly every student in my lectures brings their laptop to take notes. So ... I usually give them the powerpoint slides ahead of time so that they can notate each one.
(I would think typing would be faster than handwriting.)*

* = Exception being classes where "drawing" would be an advantage .. math, chem, etc.
I carry my iBook to almost every class, but typing notes isnt the most ideal solution in some cases (ie. if I want to draw a graph the prof has on the board, I have to either draw with my trackpad, or keep a seperate pad of notebook paper for stuff like that.)

That Toshiba Tecra tablet with the built in keyboard would be ideal.

Linkage to Tecra
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules