Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari is GRRREAT

Safari is GRRREAT
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 07:31 PM

I have been using safari .67 for a day now and it is hands down the best browser for PC or Mac. The interface and options are great. I will name a few I like best

1)built in pop-up stoper
2) favorites are integrated in the layout of the browser
3) it has some sort of smart programing cause it knows where I want to go. Not like IE mind you, cause IE just tries to type the url before you type it all. Safari acttually rembmers that you like a certain part of a site more. For instance I have visited www.downlaod.com a few times and each time I went to the mac section. Well the homepage of download.com is for PC, but after a few visits when I typed in download.com It took me directly to the mac page of the site, exactly where I wanted to be.

There are many other features I will tell about later.

How many people have used this program yet?

If yall want screen shots just ask
Thanks
Forcelite

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
I have been using safari .67 for a day now and it is hands down the best browser for PC or Mac. The interface and options are great. I will name a few I like best

1)built in pop-up stoper
3) it has some sort of smart programing cause it knows where I want to go. Not like IE mind you, cause IE just tries to type the url before you type it all. Safari acttually rembmers that you like a certain part of a site more. For instance I have visited www.downlaod.com a few times and each time I went to the mac section. Well the homepage of download.com is for PC, but after a few visits when I typed in download.com It took me directly to the mac page of the site, exactly where I wanted to be.

Thanks
Forcelite
3) No it does this w/ ie as well

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 07:39 PM

safari seems to be better with airport than IE, it seems to load pages alot quicker with a weaker signal, however when the signal is very strong IE is quicker.

I am not sure what you meant dex so plz explain

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 07:45 PM

safari seems to be better with airport than IE, it seems to load pages alot quicker with a weaker signal, however when the signal is very strong IE is quicker.

I am not sure what you meant dex so plz explain
You should have the same AirPort reception whether you're using IE or Safari.

I think what Dex was saying is download.com knows what OS you're running (the browser sends this info) and puts you to the Mac section because of this. Since you've running v67, is that little debug menu there? You should be able to change your settings in there and make Safari appear to web sites as a Windows machine running IE. Download.com might take you to the PC section then.

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2003, 07:54 PM

ohh ok let me explain better.
First off I didnt mean the airport signal is better with safari, it stays the same, BUT safari seems to laod pages faster with a weaker signal, and IE loads them faster with a stronger signal.

Also about download.com, when I first went to the site I was put in the PC section, It took a few visits beore it sent me directly to the mac section, I guess this could be a cnet cookie, who knows?

I see the debug option too

Have any of yall tinkered around with this browser?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 07:57 PM

First off I didnt mean the airport signal is better with safari, it stays the same, BUT safari seems to laod pages faster with a weaker signal, and IE loads them faster with a stronger signal.
I see what mean now. I agree 100%. Safari loads and renders super quick.

Also about download.com, when I first went to the site I was put in the PC section, It took a few visits beore it sent me directly to the mac section, I guess this could be a cnet cookie, who knows?

I tried playing around with the different user agents, and as soon as I chose Windows MSIE 6, Download.com took me right to the Windows part of the site. I am using v60 though, that might make a difference.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2003, 08:28 PM

no you are not getting it. say you goto macnn.com a lot but when you get there you usually goto www.macnn.com/somepage.html other than www.macnn.com when you type in www.macnn.com, it will pop up with www.macnn.com/somepage.html and you do not have to type in somepage.html. I myself do not like this because most of the time I do not want to continue going to that page on that site. I want the site.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 09:04 PM

ah yes. thats what it does sometimes when i type "deskmod.com" and it sends me to the konfab gallery. so i have to type "www.deskmod.com" and it sends me to the deskmod home page. strange, no?

Pinky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 09:25 PM

Does it expire on June 30th like v60 ??

I was testing a web program by changing the date, and Safari died on me when I set the date to July 1rst. When I tried ti launch it again, it said "Safary Beta Expires on June 30th 2003". Is it the same with v67 ?

Thanks !

Pinky
Narf !
Zort !

Coxy
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 09:32 PM

Meh.
Safari isn't that crash-hot, although the popup blocker is unsurpassed and the Snapback thingo is cool.
Commander ~Coxy of the 68kMLA

PreciousBbird
Apr 3, 2003, 09:45 PM

I really like it but I still have v60! Oh no - time to go get the new one. Hmmm. I wonder how I missed it?

I like the speed, the looks and the fact that it's Mac. It looks really nice on my beautiful 17" (OK, I would prefer bigger) monitor

She's too happy!

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Coxy:
the popup blocker is unsurpassed and the Snapback thingo is cool.
pardon? The pop-up blocker is duplicated by many, and far surpassed by OW's Ad blocking (which blocks not only the pop-ups, but the in-page ads as well).

Snapback is cool though.
cpac

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 11:32 PM

It is a cookie. Also, I would say the majority of us are using Safari and everyone has at least tried it.

mkummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 05:34 AM

I should better say "bigger" of course. The unlimited caching is a bit of a problem if one does not keep watching. If you use Safari really often, the cache file increases extremely. A cache limitation like in IE would be a great idea. i am sure it will come soon...
Regards, Michael

sandsl
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 10:57 AM

Safari v60 is the latest public version.

Safari v67 is the latest illegal leaked version.

(Just for the few people who thought they'd missed a release )
Luke

Vanquish
Apr 4, 2003, 12:44 PM

Well, for me Camino is still a lot faster. (Camino build ID: 2003030508 compared to v67 for Safari). And Camino renders more accurate.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
The pop-up blocker is duplicated by many, and far surpassed by OW's Ad blocking (which blocks not only the pop-ups, but the in-page ads as well).
I REALLY like the command + k key-combo for toggling pop-up blocking in Safari. Some sites need to open a new window and this makes it very easy to disable/enable. I have no idea if OW does this too, but it was new to me in Safari.

PreciousBbird
Apr 4, 2003, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:

Safari v60 is the latest public version.

Safari v67 is the latest illegal leaked version.
Thank you - I went searching yesterday and all I could find was v60...I guess I can wait until it's 'legal'.

She's too happy!

coolmacdude
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 01:36 PM

v 67 is good except it crashes a lot and has a lot of page loading errors. Im using Camino until Safari Final comes out.

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
I have no idea if OW does this too, but it was new to me in Safari.

Actually OW's is smarter than Safari's - it allows you to set it to block all pop-ups, or only those that are not opened in response to a click by a user - this makes it so that most sites that rely on pop-ups work without you having to toggle the setting at all.
cpac

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Actually OW's is smarter than Safari's - it allows you to set it to block all pop-ups, or only those that are not opened in response to a click by a user - this makes it so that most sites that rely on pop-ups work without you having to toggle the setting at all.
I think Safari does this too - it tries not to block popup windows that are in response to a mouse click. However, even with this feature it is necessary to turn off popup blocking sometimes, because some legitimate windows are not in response to a mouse click. Thus, it would be an advantage to have a keyboard shortcut to toggle popup blocking.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 12:00 AM

for 3, all the browsers does this... it's not new...

Ming

1)built in pop-up stoper

Thanks
Forcelite
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

itistoday
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 12:15 AM

You guys have to be kidding me. Come on; Mozilla is the best browser for OS X and any operating system. It's one stable, FAST, and feature full browser. Get one of the nightlies, they're great. Safari can't even compete with it. Safari has poor bookmark managing, low stability (it crashes like no other), and very poor JAVA/Javascript handling.

PreciousBbird
Apr 5, 2003, 12:26 AM

Hey wait! Safari has never crashed on me!

Oh...but neither has any other browser I have used on my Mac... Oh well, there's still time...

She's too happy!

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 01:50 PM

Oh it crashed, but not so heavy and continously as the OmniWeb was doing when surfing to CNN, though filling that stupid bug reporter in OW for ages. Oh man, sigh, great that's over.

Safari rocks
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Cipher13
Apr 6, 2003, 03:00 AM

Camino rocks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules