Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question About Clam Ibooks and Combo drive

Question About Clam Ibooks and Combo drive
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 03:43 PM

I wanted to get my Fiance an old Clam shell Ibook. She fell in love with them ever since legaly blonde.

My question is, can I find one with a dvd/cd-rw drive? or can I put on in myself, if so what brands will work?

ALso will the 466mhz G3 be adiquite to run OSX and for burning dvd's Ect?

Thanks and I should know this stuff cause I work at the apple store but I am not familiar with old machines. I can answer most questions about new machines if anyone has them

Take care
Force

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 04:31 PM

i had a key lime ibook (466) and it did ok with 10.1 (well reasonably well) so i think it would be fine with 10.2

however it only came with a DVD drive so you are out of luck there... whether or not someone makes an upgrade, i do not know, but i somehow doubt it

Rich Jercha
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 05:42 PM

Well I've seen people with combo drives for the pismo... and unless I'm quite wrong (do correct me if so on this one), can't you pull the drive out of the drive casing on a pismo and put it in the casing of an iBook? or is that for the new ones? or wait... maybe I'm just totally off the wall... summer dulls my brain.
Rich

Laserbutt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 08:28 AM

Nope, cant be done. There are no drives with the correct form factor the fit inside these iBooks. You should now this sort of stuff if you are working for an Apple reseller.

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2003, 07:05 PM

Ya I asked alot of people that work with me and most couldnt answer it. I know more about the new machines. thanks for the help

Davidarm
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2003, 01:37 PM

Here's a CD-RW drive for the original iBooks:

http://www.wegenermedia.com/ibookcdrwhome.htm

They might know if there's a combo drive available...

Originally posted by forcelite:
I wanted to get my Fiance an old Clam shell Ibook. She fell in love with them ever since legaly blonde.

My question is, can I find one with a dvd/cd-rw drive? or can I put on in myself, if so what brands will work?

ALso will the 466mhz G3 be adiquite to run OSX and for burning dvd's Ect?

Thanks and I should know this stuff cause I work at the apple store but I am not familiar with old machines. I can answer most questions about new machines if anyone has them

Take care
Force

Forum Links
Forum Rules