Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery life in the 12" powerbook

battery life in the 12" powerbook
coolphage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2003, 01:17 PM

I have heard some bad things about battery life in the 12" powerbook. Typical battery charge lasts 1.5-2.5 hours. Is this common? I though they got a much better (3-4) hours of battery life.
I plan on using the 12" to take notes for about 2 hours a day durring school. Am i going to have to buy a second battery?

Thanks
Nick
Loving the 12" powerbook.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by coolphage:
I have heard some bad things about battery life in the 12" powerbook. Typical battery charge lasts 1.5-2.5 hours. Is this common? I though they got a much better (3-4) hours of battery life.
I plan on using the 12" to take notes for about 2 hours a day durring school. Am i going to have to buy a second battery?

Thanks
Nick
If you're taking notes mostly and not doing any heavy-duty work (eg. playing a 3d game, ripping in iTunes, encoding a movie) you should easily have about 2.3-2.5 hours battery time.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2003, 04:26 PM

I regularly get around 2.5 hours.

-s*

Mskr
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 04:54 PM

I had done a small case study with my 12" PB and reported results in this thread:

I just drove back today from Des Moines, Iowa and decided to use my PowerBook as a glorified iPod, and set up the energy saver like this:

1) Never sleep
2) Put display to sleep: 1 minute (minimum)
3) Put harddrive to sleep when possible
4) Reduced processor power

Then, I set up a play list of about 6 hours of music, started it playing and then dimmed the screen all the way down. I got approximately 4 hours 22 minutes worth of music out of the PowerBook! Not too shabby, considering it's not optimized for this kind of usage. I guess the 5 hour battery life that they advertise isn't _that_ far off of reality. I actually think I could have squeezed more battery life out of it by doing a little more work. One thing that would have helped is if I could buffer a bunch of the mp3s into memory so that the HD could spin down & never need to spin up. Since I have 640 MB of memory on this machine, I could buffer quite a lot of music (say, half that) and have 320 minutes worth of music (or 5 hours, 20 minutes) and not have to spin the hard drive at all. Of course, I don't know of any way to easily do this with iTunes, but maybe another mp3 player?

Anyhow, just wanted to mention these results...
But, all in all, I usually get about 3-3.5 hours of real work off power. I get about 2 hours of playing Warcraft III, since it's a bit more power intensive. This hasn't really diminished over time, either.
Software Architect, CodeTek Studios, Inc.

12" AlBook 867 (Combo drive) 640 MB/40 GB (work development machine) -- TiBook 400MHz/384MB/10GB (home machine)
CodeTek VirtualDesktop Pro: Power multitasking! -- DockExtender: Powerful, efficient launcher for Apps, Docs and everything else!

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 05:27 PM

The biggest factor for me is screen brightness. If I turn it down to half, I can get about 3.5 hours of average use (e-mail, web, word processing). Also, if you have Airport and Bluetooth but are not using them turn those off, too.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

macfreshman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

The 12" has much better battery life than my 17". With the 12" I could easily get 4 hours out of it. With the 17" I am *lucky* to get 2.5hrs.

Full brightness, wifi, and itunes running drops it to 1.5hrs. Can't wait for fuel cells...
15" MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz 1GB 100GB 7200RPM
iMac 20" 2.0Ghz Intel & 23" Cinema Display & Soundsticks
iPod Video 30GB ver1 & 1GB Shuffle ver2

Windows divorce date: January 7, 2003

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:05 PM

My battery meter has been pretty inaccurate (and yes I've drained the battery and then fully charged several times). I never get an indication of greater than 3hrs, however I worked for 3.5hrs yesterday (and still had 27minutes left.)
My settings were as follows: 2nd dimmest screen setting, hardrive spinning down when possible, screen sleep in 1 minute, computer sleep in 5minutes, and highest processor setting. I was working in Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Safari. Mail in the background checking mail every 5minutes. I also have several menu extras running (Menu meters, Synergy). Bluetooth is off, Airport is on.

I installed a 7200rpm HD in my PB which takes up more power and use an external optical mouse which uses more power.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2003, 12:43 PM

I must be doing something wrong then, because I let mine drain, then charged it completely, and it doesn't charge 100% and it only gives mer a reading of 1:15 minutes. Any thoughts?
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 12:54 PM

With my 12" PB battery fully charged and set for Reduced Power, I can watch DVD's straight for about 2:45. Watching a DVD is one of the most intensive tasks on a laptop b/c the optical drive is constantly in usage...doing tasks lighter than this stretches my battery life well beyond 3 hours.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules