Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And now, for something completely different...

View Poll Results: Could Jar-Jar with a lightsaber hurt Superman?
Poll Options:
Yes 2 votes (7.14%)
No 7 votes (25.00%)
Does he have a kryptonite lightsaber? 10 votes (35.71%)
Dude, you need to get some more sleep... 9 votes (32.14%)
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
And now, for something completely different...
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2003, 10:21 AM

Some of my wife's friends had a question going around recently, "Could a Jedi with a lightsaber hurt Superman?" The general answer was no. Because no.

But that got me thinking along similar lines. One of Superman's powers is that he's invincible, which was pretty much the basis for the No answer.

Given this, could Jar-Jar with a lightsaber hurt Superman? Consider: Jar-Jar utterly wrecks any story that he's put into. Put him into the setting of Superman, and it's possible that the sheer wrongness of the situation might make Superman vulnerable simply by being Jar-Jar.

So, what do you think? Assuming that a Jedi with a lightsaber could not harm Superman, could Jar-Jar do it?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2003, 10:38 AM

I'm sure he'd find a way.

-s*

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 10:38 AM

I had to ask, "Does he have a kryptonite lightsaber?"

So I'm watching the season finale of Smallville last night (missed it in the spring) and had that recurring feeling I got when i watched it regularly last year. The suspense this show builds around his powers is amazing. Honestly, I'm captivated each week just to see a glimpse of him discovering something we already know: he can fly, he's going to wear a silly costume with an "s" emblazoned on the front.

This finale had him use green kryptonite to destroy his space pod that had a message from his father commanding him to leave earth or face terrible consequences. Consequence #1: the explosion caused his adotpted mother to have a miscarriage of her first child. Also, Lex Luther gets hoodwinked by his bride on their honeymoon flight and is left to crash with the plane into the ocean. Lana admits she loves Clark to his face, while Clark's other highschool GF is so royally spurned, she turns to Lex's father to be a snitch on everything she can find out about Clark. And there was even a cheesy scene with Clark abandonning Smallville and Lana to protect them from his disaster prone nature, all the while under the influence of red Kryptonite. Where's he going? Metropolis.

*gleeful smile*

I can't wait for the season premiere. I'm so glad I never watched Lois and Clark.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

Only with a Kryptonite lightsabre.

And that Smallville finale sounds great, wish I watched the show, Lana's totally hot!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 11:26 AM

I think a Jedi with a lightsaber could hurt superman.

A lightsaber is technically a beam of pure energy and has the power to pierce anything.

Superman wouldn't stand a chance. His only hope is to fly away.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I think a Jedi with a lightsaber could hurt superman.

A lightsaber is technically a beam of pure energy and has the power to pierce anything.

Superman wouldn't stand a chance. His only hope is to fly away.

If he's invinsible it wouldn't work. It MIGHT cut him, but it wouldn't hurt him, and it wouldn't stop him from winning.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 11:55 AM

Jar-Jar would cut off his own limbs before he hurt superman with any sort of lightsaber.

Even if it was a Jedi, Superman has many, many powers. He has his own laser vision thingie he can use as a lightsaber.

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Only with a Kryptonite lightsabre.

And that Smallville finale sounds great, wish I watched the show, Lana's totally hot!
Lana's one the best parts of Smallville .

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 01:21 PM

Monty Python, Star Wars, and comic books.

Nerds.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2003, 01:38 PM

When is the Smallville premier?

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
When is the Smallville premier?
In 2 Weeks.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

benb
Sep 18, 2003, 02:39 PM

Possibly a light saber with the same wavelenght as Krypton's red sun would have the same effect as Kryptonite itself. So a certain shade of red lightsaber could kill him as well.

Hypothetically, of course.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2003, 02:54 PM

Yes, Jar Jar would simply annoy Superman to death.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

shmerek
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 03:00 PM

I have a question. I can't remember if it was in a superman movie or one of the shows but they had a strand of his hair that was supporting a giant weight in a museum or something showing how strong and powerful a single strand of his hair was so the question is this: How does he get a hair cut? Does he do it himself with his laser beam vision?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
I have a question. I can't remember if it was in a superman movie or one of the shows but they had a strand of his hair that was supporting a giant weight in a museum or something showing how strong and powerful a single strand of his hair was so the question is this: How does he get a hair cut? Does he do it himself with his laser beam vision?
Obviously, Superman's hair has a very high tensile strength, but not such a high shearing strength that Superman's barber would notice on any given sunday.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Forum Links
Forum Rules