Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Probable Scam: APPLE POWERMAC G5 DUAL 2GHZ + 20" TFT APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY - $2500

Probable Scam: APPLE POWERMAC G5 DUAL 2GHZ + 20" TFT APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY - $2500
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2003, 11:42 PM

I wonder whether this guy is selling stuff that 'fell of a truck'

>--------------
KICK ASS SYSTEM!

I have 2 of them in stock with my company , too bad i have to release them for sale as need money criticaly and ASAP , this is wholesale price so catch your chance.

Here are the complete specs for the system :

G5 Processor : Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

Display supplied in package : 20-inch Apple Cinema Display

APPLE POWERMAC G5 DUAL 2GHZ + 20" TFT APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY - $2500

http://boston.craigslist.org/sys/16462505.html

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 11:45 PM

well we'll see, because I offered to buy, but I'll do it in person...
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 12:47 AM

pffffff, good luck.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 01:20 AM

Don't go alone....

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:24 AM

send him all your money, leave your adress on his cellular.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

GeoMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 09:27 AM

it's a scam. they want you to wire the money to the Ukraine....
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30
GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 10:52 AM

Ask him if you can pick it up in person and pay cash.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 12:14 PM

Ukraine!?!

Maybe you can put them in touch with the 419 kids in Nigeria...see if they can you a pic of the machine too.

Everyone wants to be a scammer...

Terrance

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2003, 12:15 PM

Be careful, this is a common scam on eBay. See for yourself.

Do not bid or give your email out in an aution like this. Here's an explanation of what's really going on.

http://www.geocities.com/dainisjg/scams.html

1_of_9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 12:51 PM

This looks to be the same guy that I have reported to ebay, and safe harbor at least 6 times in the last year. Then he was selling laptops and corvettes at outrageous prices. Money always goes to the ukraine. Wife or some else in philly, or boston will ship it...watch out for these guys, they will ruin ebay for all of us.

unchi2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 02:25 PM

It's a scam! I got a reply from the famous EXIM computers operating from Ukraine. We shoud flood thier mailbox and call collect on thier ass! Enclosed is the first part of the email:

Greetings!

We are glad to inform you that we are now back to the market of PC sales after a long vacations and reorganization breaks.

I have received your inquiry about the product we have for sale and I am hoping that this email will completely answer all of the

questions which you may possibly have to ask.

We have 2 of the Apple PowerMac's DUAL G5 currently in stock. Each unit cost is only $ 2500 US Dollars including all
shipping and handling charges. You will only have to pay additional $ 100 around fee to process transfer of the funds.

This means that the total on your order is :

$2500 transfered for the Apple PowerMac G5 DUAL 2GHz with 20" TFT Active Matrix Apple Cinema display delivered by your

door within 3-4 business days + estimately $100 fees paid to company transfering your funds.

The original pictures of the merchandise are also included to this email as an .jpg format files.( They show the same similar system

you will be geting ,not the right one you are ordering as it factory sealed and unopened in a box).

Here are the complete specs for the system :

G5 Processor : Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5

Display supplied in package : 20-inch Apple Cinema Display

L2 Cache : 512K per processor

Frontside bus : 1GHz per processor

DDR SDRAM main memory : 1GB PC3200 (400MHz)

8X AGP Pro graphics : ATI RADEON 9800 Pro with 128MB DDR SDRAM

Hard drive : 250GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm

Optical drive : SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

PCI Slots : Three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots

High performance I/O : One FireWire 800 port, two FireWire 400 ports (one on front); three USB 2.0 ports (one on front), two USB

1.1 ports (on keyboard); AGP 8X Pro slot with graphics card installed, including ADC connector and DVI connector

Bays : Two internal hard drive bays (1 occupied); one optical drive bay

Networking : Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet and 56K V.92 modem

Wireless : AirPort Extreme ready (based on 802.11g specification; IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi certified)(6); Bluetooth option

Audio : Optical digital audio in, optical digital audio out, analog audio in, analog audio out, front headphone minijack and speaker

System software : Mac OS X v10.2 �Jaguar�

Software : iLife (including iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD), QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, FAXstf, Art Directors

Toolkit, Microsoft Office v.X Test Drive, FileMaker Pro Trial, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, GraphicConverter, QuickTime, iChat,

Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, iCal, iSync, DVD Player, Mail, EarthLink, Acrobat Reader, Classic environment and Apple

Developer Tools

Hardware accessories : Apple Keyboard, Apple Mouse, USB keyboard extension cable, DVI to VGA adapter, modem cable,

AirPort Extreme Card

Limited warranty and service : Your Power Mac G5 comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty.

Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan (http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html) to extend your service and support

to three full years. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and

the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-certified technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple

support (http://www.apple.com/support/products/) or call 800-823-2775.

If the specifications above match your needs please read the following to find out the unit history and get a purchase and contact

information.

I represent a company which is called EXIM COMPUTERS and we are legitimate business which is in a market for 2 years already

and we are registered with foreign business license number, registration number ID: 890-0313-919.
Feel free to visit us at www.eximcomputers.com .

The products are being delivered to you from our corporate warehouse which is located in Odessa, and subsided by the local trading

giant Cyprian INC.

Each item was originally purchased from USA before, so they are completely US standard which means: US Power Supply

compatible, US version software's included.
Products are unboxed what means they have not been opened after they have leaved the factory, so they come ready to be registered

with proper clear forms for manufacturer�s warranties.

The items are absolutely legitimate, and the only reason for the such low and even we may say cheap price you see, they are being

sold for WHOLESALE prices ,this situation came out because we do have to return the money spent on the systems at this time,

not to make profits.
Our company purchased them before from USA originally, and we cannot leave them in our country because they have been placed

on HOLD with our customs service because of the lack of proper papers required by Ukrainian customs containing Export/Import

taxes rated and payouts, at the same time they can be returned back to the USA or be sold to almost any other country worldwide.

If you place your order during Monday to Friday latest 9 PM EST it will only take 3-4 business days to deliver the product right by

your door, and that is guaranteed with FedEx International shipping carrier. The delivery would be Worldwide Express service which

will be totally insured for the complete amount of purchase.

Here are the instruction to place and order with our company and set up payment for your order.

-- Part 1 of message --

unchi2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 02:26 PM

--- Part 2 of scam message ---

The company trough which you will be sending funds is called Western Union, and their service you should use for the payment is

Western Union Money Transfer service.

PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING NOTE, IT IS DESCRIBES HOW YOUR PURCHASE WILL BE MADE

SECURE FOR YOUR SIDE AND INSURE YOU THE DELIVERY OF THE PROPER MERCHANDISE AS PROMISED BY

SELLING PARTY.

The are 4 steps to completely process your order.

1. You have to send us a message informing that you are willing to place an order with our company for one of the products we

offer. Then, we will comply an order receipt containing the information you have to send us with your order request message, which

are: your complete name, billing and shipping addresses, contact phone numbers, and of course the list of products you would like

to order so we will include the total for them, with the sign of general sales manager in our department, confirming your order.

2. After getting the receipt, you have to go to the Western Union and set up a money transfer, under the sales representative of our

company which will be currently working on your order.
(For example at this time your sales representative will be Elena Kolesnichenko)
Money transfer has to be set with the instructions you will find next in this message.
Then you have to scan your Western Union receipt confirming money sent, but remove 10 digit MTCN number on it, which will

protect your money until you get the products and finish the inspection of merchandise and email it to us.
Please note that Western Union's service option to call the receiver of the funds on the money transfer set must be set with this

Money Transfer at Western Union's office, they all provide such service and it will cost about $2 fee to be included.

3. After we get your copy of the Western Union's receipt with the message containing your confirmation that money are sent,
and receive a call from Western Union informing us that you have actually set the funds ,( they usually calling in 1-2 business days, so

the 1 day delay may apply in a case the will not notify us in time ) we will ship you the merchandise and send you the scanned copy

of the FedEx receipt containing tracking number for your package showing its location at the current time.

4. In 4-5 business days you will be receiving your products, and then you will have additional 2 business days to inspect them, and

send us the final confirmation message which contain 10 digits MTCN number from Western Union money sent receipt, so we will

finally be able to pick up your set funds.

PLEASE NOTE! Return policies apply. In a case that after 2 business days. not a day later you will find out that you are not

satisfied with the merchandise you received ,you will have to go to the FedEx office and ship the merchandise to us ,at no cost for

you ,just using our FedEx company account number , then proceed with Western Union's process of withdrawing funds back their

system.

To insure and guarantee the delivery of your products after you have set the funds, you will hold the 10 digit receipt number (MTCN)

which Western Union Company will include in your money sent receipt after you set the Money Transfer with them. This receipt

number gives the ability to track the money 24/7 and it is STRICTLY REQUIRED on our side for the pickup of funds.
Please be sure to add the Money Transfer optional service to "Call the receiver about money incoming" , as without the MTCN

(which you be holding to protect yourself) we are not able to track the status of money and to get assured that you have set the funds

with Withy will just call us and inform that the money are set under our sales representative name, so then after that confirmation we

will release for the delivery your merchandise and you will only have to wait for 4-5 business days after which you will receive the

products by your door and have the 2 days period for and inspecting them.

Here are the instructions to set up the Western Union Money Transfer to pay for the order:

Visit local office of an agency which is called Western Union, and transfers
money digitally worldwide, you may look for a nearest office of their
company with http://www.westernunion.com "Find an Agent Location" option.

In their office fill a form to send new money transfer for the amount which
covers your order, and using the details of the sales person working on your
order, at the current time they are the following:

Elena Kolesnichenko
Korolyova str.22-134
Odessa, Ukraine, 65114

Office contact number of our sales representative is:

1-380-67-9785303 (This number has to be used with the "Call the receiver about the money incoming" option)

after they charge you and process your order you will be getting a receipt with 10 digits Money Transfer Control Number.

After that you have set the payment you will have to email us the following information's required to process your order:

Your complete name.
Both of you addresses: Shipping and Billing (The one you have used with Western Union as Senders Address)
Your contact phone numbers.
The products you have ordered.
Amount you have transferred for double-check.
Scanned copy of the receipt with a removed MTCN.

Once you have emailed us with all of this information, we will email you back with the final, official order receipt signed with the

general manager of our sales division containing tracking information on your order.

If you have any serious questions reach our office at the working hours (Estimate 9 AM - 9 PM EST):

1-380-67-2950486 -
Please note that our office has moved, and currently we only may be reached by this number, not the old contact listed on our website.

We thank you for your interest in our products and we hope we will have much great business together in future!

Will be waiting for any of your questions and comments,

With best regards and wishes,

Vitaly V Jones

Premier Manager, Sales Department

EXAM COMPUTERS 2003

www.eximcomputers.com

[email protected]

1-380-67-2950486

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 03:17 PM

Are your friggin kidding me!? That is one the most obvious scams I have ever seen...eBay needs to monitor their stuff more often. Btw I am about to mail bomb the company.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 05:00 PM

Hehe, this is getting better & better.
I received the same reply as you Vash. This dude is so obvious that it isn't even funny anymore.
Here is my email to Exim and then their reply.
Enjoyjavascript:smilie('')

-----------------------My Offer---------------------------
To: COMPUTERS, EXIM
Date: 9/19/03 11:24AM
Subject: Re: Offer

Thank you very much for answering so quickly. I am ready to make the purchase. The only thing I would need is the serial number of both, the G5 computer (located in the back) and the 20' Studio display (also located at the back). This price is too good to pass on. Please let me know so that we can proceed with the transaction.

-----------------------Reply from Exim----------------------
Dear .....!

I have spent last 2 hours nervously trying to resolve the serial numbers
matter.

As the sales department and the warehouse are located separately i had to
drive 20 miles
with a hope that they will let me aknowledge the serial numbers for these
items , but as they
come unboxed ,they said i would not be able to get them.I am sure that you
will surely purchase that bundle in a case even if we open them to get
serials ,but i cannot do that as it is not at my disposal and unopening
boxes before they reach their owner will void warranties and the return
policies i mentioned before.

Please take my sincerest appologies on this mater ,

Feel free to ask any of the questions you may have for me ,

Kindest regards ,

Vitaly V Jones

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:12 PM

Smells pretty fishy to me. We've all seen this stuff before but this one is a particularly unconvincing ripoff attempt. CraigList has since taken down the posting.

Another thing to look out for on deals that seem too good to be true is the "pre-sale" auction. It's not a scam, but read the fine print and you discover you're paying for the item that will ship at a future date, usually 30 days. That means they don't even have the item but will get it RSN� (Real Soon Now). We saw this a lot when the 17" PowerBook was announced. That day there were units up for sale on eBay, but if you read carefully you saw they didn't have the item yet. eBay allows this with a maximum wait for shipping of 30 days, but with a private sale off eBay you could be looking at 60 or 90 days wait time!

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 05:46 PM

Well I wouldn't gone through the trouble of emailing them. Hopefully you didn't use your email address and used just the stuff in ebay; otherwise, they now they have your email address to spam you with...

Terrance

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2003, 06:08 PM

I love the guy's name: Vitaly V. Jones. Yeah, there's a lot of Joneses in the Ukraine.

1_of_9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 07:31 PM

There is another angle to this. This guy is stealing legimate ebay seller ID's who have spent years building a good feedback reputation. As soon as ebay fixes one; he re-appears under another stolen user ID.

unchi2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 09:41 PM

You know what Zweibel! This scammer really doesn't know what he's doing. He does not need to open the box to find the serial number, the friggin number is on the box itself! Also he mentioned that it was locked in customs, so why did he need to go to the warehouse? Man, is this guy for real?

-----------
Dear .....!

I have spent last 2 hours nervously trying to resolve the serial numbers
matter.

As the sales department and the warehouse are located separately i had to
drive 20 miles
with a hope that they will let me aknowledge the serial numbers for these
items , but as they
come unboxed ,they said i would not be able to get them.I am sure that you
will surely purchase that bundle in a case even if we open them to get
serials ,but i cannot do that as it is not at my disposal and unopening
boxes before they reach their owner will void warranties and the return
policies i mentioned before.

Please take my sincerest appologies on this mater ,

Feel free to ask any of the questions you may have for me ,

Kindest regards ,

Vitaly V Jones
[/B][/QUOTE]

slipjack
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 01:17 AM

The G4 pic for the 'G5' is also kind of a tipoff...

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 09:36 PM

The next time somebody finds one of these fraudulent auctions, we should launch a coordinated effort to get everyone who reads these forums to all email the scammer for information simultaneously. Keep him busy for days responding to inane questions. Give an award to the person who gets the best response out of him. Then everyone email him at once telling him to eat sh*t and die. If we can't go to the Ukraine and kick his ass, we should at least have fun messing with him.

GK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by CambAngst:
The next time somebody finds one of these fraudulent auctions, we should launch a coordinated effort to get everyone who reads these forums to all email the scammer for information simultaneously. Keep him busy for days responding to inane questions. Give an award to the person who gets the best response out of him. Then everyone email him at once telling him to eat sh*t and die. If we can't go to the Ukraine and kick his ass, we should at least have fun messing with him.

ilion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 03:22 AM

"I love the guy's name: Vitaly V. Jones. Yeah, there's a lot of Joneses in the Ukraine."

...oh I don't know. I'm sure there are plenty of Jonsers in the Ukraine.

^_~

Forum Links
Forum Rules