Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network 2 pc's, a wireless PB, using AEBS

Network 2 pc's, a wireless PB, using AEBS
JohnnyMacNN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 03:40 PM

I'm a switcher (soon to receive the new 15'Al PB)! I'm looking to see how I can network 2 PC's and my PB together. I have a Cable Internet connection, a network hub, and an AEBS. The 2 pc's need to be hardwired and I need all 3 computers to have internet access. What should my setup look like? Your help is greatly appriciated!

John L. Mackel
( Last edited by JohnnyMacNN; Sep 19, 2003 at 04:02 PM. )

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 04:17 PM

Plug the cable modem into the WAN port of the AEBS. Plug the hub into the LAN port of the AEBS. Plug the PCs into the hub.

The AEBS will act as a router and DHCP server for your network, everything should be fully functional with little to no configuration necessary on the clients.

edit: Depending on how the hub and AEBS ethernet ports are setup you may need a crossover cable to connect the two and have it work.

JohnnyMacNN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
Plug the cable modem into the WAN port of the AEBS. Plug the hub into the LAN port of the AEBS. Plug the PCs into the hub.

The AEBS will act as a router and DHCP server for your network, everything should be fully functional with little to no configuration necessary on the clients.

edit: Depending on how the hub and AEBS ethernet ports are setup you may need a crossover cable to connect the two and have it work.
My hub has an uplink port on it. Do I take the cable from the LAN port on the AEBS into the uplink port on my hub?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 06:52 PM

Yes. And that should eliminate the need for a crossover cable.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2003, 09:57 AM

New Macs come with auto-sense network cards, so there's no need for a crossover cable in any case. If your "hub" is actually a hub, and not some form of switch, you may have some problems. The cable modem will provide one (count 'em, ONE) IP address to the customer. A hub is a dumb device that simply connects all the transmit cable pairs to all the receive cable pairs (over simplified, but an accurate abstraction), so all of your computers would have to try to share that IP address-and without help, computers don't play well with each other.

The AEBS can handle some of this (it is a router of sorts), but since it only has the two ethernet ports, your wired computers may have problems, like speed issues, caused by using the hub.

A switch, usually in the form of a cable/DSL router, handles the sharing such that the cable modem doesn't know there's more than one computer connected. These are inexpensive, easy to set up, platform independent, and available just about everywhere. Further, you can set your AEBS to "bridge," and connect it to the router as an access point, enabling your wireless networking.

My recommendation would be this:

Cable modem LAN port to Router WAN port
Wired computer #1 NIC to Router LAN port 1
Wired computer #2 NIC to Router LAN port 2
AEBS WAN port to Router LAN port 3
Configure all computers for DHCP
Configure AEBS to bridge (uncheck the "share IP address" box in the network tab of the Admin Utility)

It really doesn't matter too much what router you get, and they can be had for as little as $30.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JohnnyMacNN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 01:49 PM

Okay here is something else. Currently my cable modem is set to give me 2 different IP's. One for each PC in my house. How does this change my options for setup? Again all of your help is greatly appriciated!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 02:33 PM

Well, do you need both IPs? Are you running a server or something?
If you don't need both, call your ISP and cancel one. This will save you money each month as well. Then just set up your LAN to share the one remaining IP to all your clients.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Well, do you need both IPs? Are you running a server or something?
If you don't need both, call your ISP and cancel one. This will save you money each month as well. Then just set up your LAN to share the one remaining IP to all your clients.
I fully concur. Most of the time, a cable provider charges big bucks for a second IP, so if you don't need two, externally visible IPs (as aaanorton says), cancel one and save money. It might be enough to buy a router!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JohnnyMacNN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 02:34 PM

Thanks for everyones networking help! I received my new 15' AL PB this morning and I had my network setup in a snap! Again thanks for all your help! I'm definetly a happy swithcher so far!

Forum Links
Forum Rules