Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and Firewire HD's

Panther and Firewire HD's
gabber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:26 PM

I just installed Panther, and when I connect my firewire hd to my computer I get a message saying "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ignore." Or you can initalize which I definately don't want to do. This HD worked w/ no problem in Jaguar, I just plugged it in and there it was, didn't have to install any drivers. Its a new drive from OWC
anyone have any ideas??? This SUX.3

blybug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:38 PM

Same subject, "Panther and FireWire HD's" but different issue.

My FW HD, which I have used all the way back to OS9 days, is showing up in Panther as a removeable volume. That is, like a CD, it has the little eject button next to it in Finder windows. And in the Finder preferences, if I choose to show HDs on the desktop, it does not show up. If I choose to show removeable volumes (CDs, DVDs, iPods), there it is.

I used Disk Utility to erase and reformat it but the same thing happens. It works OK, just a little bothersome inconsistency.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by blybug:
My FW HD, which I have used all the way back to OS9 days, is showing up in Panther as a removeable volume.
That's because it is a removable volume. By simply unplugging it, you're removing it from your system. You can't do that with the built-in hard drive(s). If you want to unplug the FW drive, you should "eject" it first. This way, the Mac knows to finish up whatever it may be doing with the drive before you unplug it. Failing to do so may result in data loss.

immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 10:01 PM

Gabber, I've got the exact same problem as you--same "no volumes" message, OWC drive, and the drive has *everything* that was on my computer. For a lot of files, this drive was my only backup.

So far, I haven't been able to fix the problem. I can't see the drive under 10.2 either (same message).

Hopefully the problem has a fix. Right now, I really share your pain!

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by immsav:
Gabber, I've got the exact same problem as you--same "no volumes" message, OWC drive, and the drive has *everything* that was on my computer. For a lot of files, this drive was my only backup.

So far, I haven't been able to fix the problem. I can't see the drive under 10.2 either (same message).

Hopefully the problem has a fix. Right now, I really share your pain!

My only suggestion would be a disk repair utility, ala Diskwarrior, Techtool, or even *gasp* Norton, but only on the affected disk. Does anything show up at all in Apple's Disk Utility? If so, try that.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

blybug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
That's because it is a removable volume. By simply unplugging it, you're removing it from your system. You can't do that with the built-in hard drive(s). If you want to unplug the FW drive, you should "eject" it first. This way, the Mac knows to finish up whatever it may be doing with the drive before you unplug it. Failing to do so may result in data loss.
I guess I can see it that way, but a FW HD should not be in the same category as CDs and DVDs which are removable media. Maybe there should be 4 different preference categories instead of 3 for what can show up on your desktop or sidebar:

(1) Hard Drives
(2) Mounted Network Volumes
(3) Removable Drives (USB/FW) and iPods
(4) CDs/DVDs

With the Panther sidebar I was going to try "Steve's way" of not having the HDs on my Desktop, since all my "permanent" volumes show up in all the Panther windows anyhow. But I still like to be able to glance up and see the things that come and go...if I have any network volumes mounted, any CDs in the computer, or if my iPod is doing something. With the FW drive classified as "removable," it remains on the desktop as long as it is plugged in.

I guess I understand the rationale but it creates an unpleasant aesthetic dilemma. So everything remains on my Desktop for now, which of course I like anyways. Just thought I'd try to grow out of an old habit.

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 10:25 PM

I had it partitioned into 3 and it shows up in disk utility as 1 and I can't do anything to it. It also shows up in system profiler...strange. I don't have any other disk utility apps, but I will find one and try that, although I don't see why it should be repaired if it worked fine before...any other suggestions?

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 26, 2003, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
This is unfortunately another case where XP has a leg up on OS X (and shouldn't). Under XP you can set a preference to disable all write-caching to removable drives. What this means is you can unplug a firewire drive on the fly without any "eject" beforehand. Obviously, you can't do it while you're writing a file, but as soon as you close any open files you can unplug the drive. The Mac *should* be able to do that.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 12:25 PM

This is from macintouch.com -- I read this last night:

Our latest Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" reports cover many things discovered by users after the first day with the official release. There's a serious issue with external hard drives being corrupted and losing data, a problem with Backup 1.2.3, issues with RAM, a Palm Desktop/StuffIt problem, FileVault and Mail.app conflict, and incompatibilities with a number of products. Also, several customers got bad/incorrect CDs in the Panther package.

You might want to read this to see if it helps you with the hard drive issue. It's one of the things that's holding me back, as I have two external hard drives I use for backup. If those are inoperable, I'm not in good shape!

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 02:05 PM

The answer to your concerns is to have the FW Drive NOT CONNECTED to your computer when you do the Panther installation,

When rebooting for the first time, keep it disconnected, Only when login process has completed, then plug in FW Drive. There will for sure, be no data loss to the FW. Thereafter, rebooting should be fine without the need to disconnect it.

I should mention that I did the above with complete success. I then installed Panther on the FW.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 04:02 PM

After updating to Panther my external firewire hd wouldn't show up at all (it worked fine in Jaguar). After I installed it in another brand firewire case (ADS Pyro) it showed up and is currently working fine. Go figure. Both cases use the Oxford 911 chipset.

romanesq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 04:55 PM

I did exactly the same thing as LaurenR.
I had no firewire drive connected, did a regular upgrade on a 3 week old Powerbook 15" 1.25.

After everything has been running well, I just did an "archive and install" on the firewire drive. No loss of data and it runs fine.

it seemed to run as fast as the hdd local to the PB.

I'm not planning on doing another archive and install on the PB hdd. It's running great.
Well, aye hearrrrr you

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 05:54 PM

So I did have my fw drive connected when I updated because right before I backed up my jaguar system just in case and didn;t think about disconnecting my drive afterwards...so now what???

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 11:29 PM

gabber - have u tried the FW drive on another computer. Most people having this problem are zeroeing out their drives for nothing. Mounting them via another mac shows the data is still intact. Checkout Macintouch and Macfixit, not sure which. They often post solutions/suggestions.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 02:13 AM

I've heard about this as well, and am loathe to plug in my LaCie Firewire 800/USB 2 hard drive to my recently Panther-updated Pismo G3/500.

Want to see if there are any more reports before I risk it. I can't afford to lose any of the data on this HD.

-- james

crucial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 03:34 AM

I'm scared . . . .

I currently run my G4 desktop from an external 160 gig FW drive, as without an ATA 133 card it would be cut down to 120 gig and be way slower.

Am I likely to have problems installing Panther on this drive, or should I install on the slow internal, then restart, mount the FW and then install panther on the external.

Or can I just not install Panther on an external ?

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
I can't afford to lose any of the data on this HD.
Well, you need to back that stuff up then. What if the HD fails on it's own?

On my dual G5/2GHz... my new Seagate 160GB Firewire 400 and USB2 external has performed flawlessly... so far.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 05:04 AM

My problem seems to be caused by having it plugged into my computer while updating to panther, I have an older fw hd that I have plugged in since and it works fine...So I took the one I am having problems w/ over to a friends who was running 10.2 and has norton utilities...Norton didn't see it, disk utility did but won't do anything to it, "options are grey" so we took the drive out of the fw case and stuck it in his tower as a slave, same problems, disk utility only wants to initialize it...so back to nowhere...I'm trying to find a copy of diskwarrior to see what that'll do, if that doesn't work I found an app called data rescue that seems slow but promising, if not I'm taking it to a pro...but what a bunch of CRAP this is just cause it was plugged in during install. Any other suggestions???

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by gabber:
My problem seems to be caused by having it plugged into my computer while updating to panther, I have an older fw hd that I have plugged in since and it works fine...So I took the one I am having problems w/ over to a friends who was running 10.2 and has norton utilities...Norton didn't see it, disk utility did but won't do anything to it, "options are grey" so we took the drive out of the fw case and stuck it in his tower as a slave, same problems, disk utility only wants to initialize it...so back to nowhere...I'm trying to find a copy of diskwarrior to see what that'll do, if that doesn't work I found an app called data rescue that seems slow but promising, if not I'm taking it to a pro...but what a bunch of CRAP this is just cause it was plugged in during install. Any other suggestions???
That sucks but I'm glad I can learn from you, I can't afford to loose my firewire drive...

I hope you can save your drive...

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by sodamnregistered2:
Well, you need to back that stuff up then. What if the HD fails on it's own?

On my dual G5/2GHz... my new Seagate 160GB Firewire 400 and USB2 external has performed flawlessly... so far.
it is a backup. I have another emergency backup FW hard drive but can't afford another big ass drive like this - it's 250gb (I'm a student).

I said "to hell with it" and plugged it in... and it seems to be working ok. I think it may be (touch wood) only those that have it plugged in with the installer running that are seeing the issues.

-- james

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2003, 12:26 PM

Oh no... it happened to me too. I remember I had the FW drive (Oxford chipset) connect to the PB during install because I forgot to Eject and unplug after backup and now I can't mount my FW anymore. It is a serious bug.

Macfixit have in on their first page. So what now? I can't afford to loose by backup drive data.

immsav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 01:12 PM

It seems the problems only occur when the computer is updated to Panther *with the firewire drive still connected.*

I hope the data can be recovered--gabber, diskwarrior didn't work for me. Tell me more about data rescue.

Thanks (and good luck!),

immsav

laurenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 01:14 PM

I am posting this quote from another forum:

"When your firewire is toasted by the Panther's installer, here is what I've figured out in the past 48 hours to get your data back. (I need some sleep)

=====
- Disk Utility, Drive 10, Norton SystemWorks *WILL NOT HELP YOU*
- You'll need to buy Data Rescue X 10.3.0, because it will works, period
___(try the demo version first, if it works buy it)
=====
- Boot up Panther,
- Turn on your firewire drive and attach it to your Mac
- When OSX asks you to Initilize your drive, press Ignore (Very Important)
- run Data Rescue X
- Choose your toasted Drive in the Volume list (eg. Maxtor 6 Y120L0)
____(if your firewire drive won't show up here, refresh the volume list)
____(if it still won't show, you are out of luck)
- Choose Thorough Scan and Press the Start button.
- Data Rescue X will ask you to select a volume to store temporary scan data, press Yes and choose a volume (eg. Internal HD)
- Go out rent a movie and get a cup of coffee, because it will take a long time to scan thru your HD.
- Keep your fingers crossed while you enjoy your movie.

- If Data Rescue X detect all the block sizes and stuff, it will show you a recovery dialog and then you can choose what to recover. (go party !!)

- If Data Rescue X didn't detect the Allocation Block Layout (in most case), I recommend you to choose Manual and then choose a file on your working drive (a file that is also on your toasted firewire drive)

--- in my case: I remember that I have a program on my toasted firewire drive (MS Remote Desktop Connection), I went to microsoft.com/mac and download a copy and then use that as a Allocation Block guide.

- Data Rescue X figured everything out and vola ! I'm recovering my data

note: Data Rescue X will not fix your drive, it will only helps you pull data out of the toasted drive. You'll need to reformat your toasted drive after all your files are recovered.
I can recover 99% of data from my toasted drive, Data Rescue X saved my life. (hope it will save yours too)"

Let me know if it works for you, I am curious

Recover data from Panther FW Roadkill

Above is link where I found the post

EDIT: I just went back to above link, and Apple had taken it down (wonder why???). Glad I saved it when I first saw it.
( Last edited by laurenr; Oct 27, 2003 at 01:22 PM. )

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 02:05 PM

Does this bug affect all firewire drives, does it affect the iPod ? Was this bug present in the pre-releases ?

And why has apple taken the support page down ? Shouldn't they try to help these people in every way possible instead of denying that there is a problem ?

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
And why has apple taken the support page down ? Shouldn't they try to help these people in every way possible instead of denying that there is a problem ?
Problems are not sexy, and this is Apple we are talking about. For all the good they do, their silence on things is one of the things I dislike about them.

If the Internet is full of external firewire problems and white spots on the 15" pb, then don't deny it, tell us what's up. We can deal.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 03:04 PM

It can't be a problem for all FW drives. I had 3 connected when I upgraded and had no problem. I guess I got lucky somehow.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

pooky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 07:20 PM

Panther also Kills my LaCie 200G Firewire 800 drive. It seems to happen on restart but not every restart kills it. This situation is impossible. Some kind of a fix is required because I cannot trust Panther with my data!

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by pooky:
Panther also Kills my LaCie 200G Firewire 800 drive. It seems to happen on restart but not every restart kills it. This situation is impossible. Some kind of a fix is required because I cannot trust Panther with my data!
Could you be more vague? What do you mean it "kills it"?

nicolasd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 09:01 PM

I did a software restore to my 1GHz TiBook (10.2.1 and 9.2.2), created my user account and installed 10.3.

My OWC Mercury Elite (Oxford 922, FW800/400 USB2/1.1) had NEVER been connected or powered up. It was BRAND NEW

I plugged it in to the TiBook, moved about 20GB of data to it under Panther. Dismounted and mounted fine. The VERY FIRST TIME I restarted accidentally with the drive still mounted it was no longer recognizable.

Panther can't see it.
Jaguar can't see it.
9.2.2 can't see it
Disk Warrior can't see it.

Panther's Disk Utility sees the drive but not the volume. I could erase it if I liked.

Whether the drive was attached during installation has NOTHING to do with this issue.
If you restart with a certain kind of FWHD mounted, it gets corrupted.

Apple had better get on this QUICK.

-n.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by memento:
It can't be a problem for all FW drives. I had 3 connected when I upgraded and had no problem. I guess I got lucky somehow.
I used an external LaCie 160GB drive for all of my Panther beta testing, in conjunction with my 5GB iPod, LaCie FW CDRW, Sony DV Cam over a 4 month period without a single problem.
My boot drive has always been an ext FW drive and still is now with Panther. This allows me to easily move it to any other Mac and it just works.
The problem is somewhere else and not Panther, IMHO and experience.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
The problem is somewhere else and not Panther, IMHO and experience.
I have to concur. I installed 10.3 on my PBG4 with an external FW drive (no name case 911 chip with a WD160GB drive installed) and an old VST FW-powered drive, rebooted many times, with no problems. Installed 10.3 onto the little VST drive and rebooted and no problems with either drive.

Also, I got a similar problem, but on my Cube which is running 10.2.8. It may or may not be related, but it had the same symptoms. Diskwarrior was able to fix that drive though.

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 10:27 PM

Glad to hear about everyone else's experiences, but how about some SOLUTIONS?
I'm running data rescue right now, its been running for like 20 hours now and I haven't even gotten to the point where I can see my files and resave them to another disk...Theres go to be a faster way..what do the pro's use??? I couldn't imagine this...I only have like 40gigs of info on there...and its gonna take days to get it...come on. This is stupid.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2003, 10:38 PM

Panther is somehow precipitating these failures. To believe that all these drives died of their own accord just after Panther happened to be installed is simply naive.

Apple has a problem with their Panther firewire driver. It may not be mounting or unmounting drives properly, and it may result in damage to the drive - sometimes permanent.

There's stuff up on it over at www.macfixit.com:
FireWire issues Issues with FireWire-connected drives have been cropping up in increasing numbers as more users install Panther.

It appears that in some of the cases of FireWire failure, the problem is not with the drive itself, but rather with Mac OS X 10.3's ability to recognize the drives. We have documented several cases where FireWire drives are diagnosed with major errors by Disk Utility and DiskWarrior and are umountable when attached to a Mac OS X 10.3 system, but function without problems, retain data and yield no error reports from disk tools when attached to a Mac OS X 10.2.x system.

That said, there certainly are cases where drives connected to systems during a Panther install have become unreadable under any iteration of Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X.

Glenn Tiffert has a particularly bad example where one of his drives has been rendered virtually useless "I have two external firewire HDs daisy chained to my iBook 700. The first is a Maxtor 96147H8 60 gig. drive in an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire 400 enclosure. The second is a Western Digital WD2000JB 200 gig. drive in an OWC Mercury Elite Firewire 800 enclosure. I never had a problem with either drive under Jaguar, including Mac OS X 10.2.8."

"Immediately after clean installing Panther and booting into the OS, the Firewire 800 drive failed to mount, and Panther informed me that the drive had no OS X readable volumes. It gave me three options: initialize, ignore or eject. Neither Disk Utility nor DIskWarrior 3.0 could mount or recover the drive."

"I ultimately decided to re-initialize the drive (fortunately it was a redundant backup drive), and was able to use it until the next reboot, whereupon the same error occurred. No matter how many times I reinitialize the drive, the pattern holds: a reboot renders it unreadable. I have swapped firewire cables, and I even pulled the Firewire 400 drive (which was working fine) out of the daisy chain so that the problem drive was connected directly to the iBook; all to no avail. Neither OS 9 nor Jaguar can read the drive in its scrambled state."

-- james
( Last edited by jamesa; Oct 27, 2003 at 10:52 PM. )

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:56 AM

I must say that for all the time that data rescue took, it wasn't worth the results...the way it shows you your files is confusing, not all of them showed up...not very impressive, I can't imagine this being the best thing available...ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MY SITUATION??? Theres got to be some better apps out there.

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 01:28 PM

anyone know if I could use terminal to fix this using fsck? And if so how would I do it???

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 01:43 PM

anyone know if I could use terminal to fix this using fsck? And if so how would I do it???
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...475&query=fsck

Hmm.. this wasn't the page i was looking for but this may also work...

Ha this was the one I was looking for: How To Run fsck To Examine A Non-boot Volume In Mac OS X
( Last edited by kovacs; Oct 28, 2003 at 01:56 PM. )

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 03:56 PM

I had a drive die yesterday in a similar way - it just wouldn't show up at *all*. Oddly, this happened in Jaguar, but I have run Panther in the recent past. I was able to recover my data, but be warned, this may have been a different problem so this may not work for you.

1) Open the terminal
2) Type "sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/Disks/Disks start" (runs the OS X disk mounter daemon)
3) Type "ls /Volumes/"

In my case the drive showed up there - part of the filesystem, but the Finder and all other GUI apps would have nothing to do with it. I used ditto to copy out my data:

"ditto -rsrcFork source dest"

Good luck!

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 04:48 PM

anyone else familiar with what diamondsw is describing??? If I have like 40+ gigs on my corrupt fw hd and only a 30gig int. w/ 14g left how do I ditto? can I select which files to copy? I'm thinking no, which is why I am asking this, can I ditto it to another ext. fw hd?
Also I tried diskwarrior 3 and it would't touch the disk...still very unhappy with data rescue, any OTHER file rescue apps out there that WORK GOOD?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
This is unfortunately another case where XP has a leg up....
I use XP at work and the only leg that is up, and you know why it is up, is the Panthers leg! If OS X 10.3 is a Panther, XP is road kill IMHO.

Sam Venning
Oct 28, 2003, 05:25 PM

My Firewire 800 (180GB) drive was "toasted" after installing Mac OS 10.3. The drive was off during the installation. After the install I was using it for a while. Unmounting it and then attempting to mount it again... toast. I sure hope there is a fix to this problem (I DON"T want to lose the data Apple). Attaching the drive to Mac OS 10.2.8 computer it still fails to mount (with an offer to erase).

The source of the problem isn't clear. Is it:
- FireWire HDD firmware?
- corrupt directory?... or
- Mac OS 10.3 simply failing to recognise certain Firewire 800 drives?

Which one is it?

I'm leaving my Firewire 800 (180GB) drive off until I get a more satisfactory diagnosis of the problem.

I'll be very angry if data on the drive is lost - I won't be a happy Apple Mac OS 10.3 user for sure.
( Last edited by Sam Venning; Oct 28, 2003 at 06:33 PM. )

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Podolsky:
I use XP at work and the only leg that is up, and you know why it is up, is the Panthers leg! If OS X 10.3 is a Panther, XP is road kill IMHO.
I never said XP was better than Panther - far, far from it. However, I think it's plain that having the option to just unplug a drive without needing to eject it first would be useful to many people. iPods, for instance.

Last year I similarly said XP's fast user switching was very useful. Now we have it too. Maybe next year with 10.4 we'll be able to unplug drives on the fly.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
People are suggesting the problem might be caused by several different things. Is it:
- FireWire HDD firmware?
- corrupt directory?... or
- Mac OS 10.3 simply failing to recognise certain Firewire 800 drives?

Which one is it?

I've been hit with the problem too. I'm leaving my Firewire 800 (180GB) drive off until I get a more satisfactory diagnosis of the problem.

I'll be damn angry if data on the drive is lost - I won't be a happy Apple Mac OS 10.3 user - for sure.
Without having any particular background with Panther's design, the symptoms indicate to me that a bug in Panther is actively corrupting either the directory or the partition map (it seems like the latter is more likely, although why it would need to write to the partition map at ll is beyond me). I doubt it's drive firmware, but that's only because I REALLY don't see why it would be mucking around in there. As far as it just being Panther's refusal to recognize drives, most cases I hear of end up with drives that aren't recognized at all.

Perhaps Panther is updating a disk driver when it mounts it? OS 9 required disk driver updates on occasion...

This is one of those issues Apple really needs to fix, and fix fast. Although they're being their usual silent selves, I hope that we see this publicly fixed in 10.3.1, and that we see it soon.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
I never said XP was better than Panther - far, far from it. However, I think it's plain that having the option to just unplug a drive without needing to eject it first would be useful to many people. iPods, for instance.

Last year I similarly said XP's fast user switching was very useful. Now we have it too. Maybe next year with 10.4 we'll be able to unplug drives on the fly.
You make all very good points. I was just trying to be funny and only partially succeeded. But when I look around my XP I find very little I like - can't really think of anything I would call a real advantage. And now, after Expose, going back to XP is like the Stone Age...I hate the UI it is so old. So, I keep my Mac on the network and right next to my Dell and do most of my work on the Mac......

gabber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 06:07 PM

anyother data recovery apps out there???
and any nore info on the ditto technique?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 06:33 PM

http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/unix-tricks/week16/monday.ws

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...75&query=ditto

The ditto command is basically the same as the cp command only difference is that ditto understands resource forks and cp does not...

Try to run fsck and/or the command diamondsw gave folowed by the ditto command like explained in these two links...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2003, 06:38 PM

Wow, I'm certainly not touching the Panther CDs coming in the mail. How could this have possibly been missed by all of the people who have used the pre-release and GM builds? This is far worse than the iTunes bug, which was bad in and of itself. Did one of Gates' monkey's break into Apple at night right before the GM CD went out and screw with the firewire driver? Oh, and I believe this deserves to be a sticky. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 06:38 PM

Well, the ditto technique is a real long shot. The guys at the Apple Store were rather dumbfounded when I described my problem. The key is not ditto, the key is getting the drive to mount at all, so step 2 above is the deal breaker.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/unix-tricks/week16/monday.ws

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...75&query=ditto

The ditto command is basically the same as the cp command only difference is that ditto understands resource forks and cp does not...

Try to run fsck and/or the command diamondsw gave folowed by the ditto command like explained in these two links...
In my case fsck said I had a corrupt superblock (incorrect magic number). However, I still managed to salvage the files. So give it a shot. I'll say up front that I think it's unlikely to work, but you have nothing to lose and just might get your data back.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Wow, I'm certainly not touching the Panther CDs coming in the mail. How could this have possibly been missed by all of the people who have used the pre-release and GM builds? This is far worse than the iTunes bug, which was bad in and of itself. Did one of Gates' monkey's break into Apple at night right before the GM CD went out and screw with the firewire driver? Oh, and I believe this deserves to be a sticky. . .
Well, one has to wonder. Of course, if you recall, Panther builds in the 50-ish range couldn't be installed on firewire drives due to bugs with the installer and firewire... Makes you wonder.

Grey Cell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
How could this have possibly been missed by all of the people who have used the pre-release and GM builds?
Well, I've run the 7B80 version for a while and it got along fine with my external LaCie 80Gb FW drive.

(Back on 10.2.8 now, waiting for my official copy to arrive - delivery got delayed.)

All the same, I think I' might just wait for 10.3.1 after all

Forum Links
Forum Rules