Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Program to find duplicate songs in iTunes?

Program to find duplicate songs in iTunes?
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2004, 05:22 PM

Does anyone know of a program to find duplicate songs in iTunes?

I have seen such programs for PC and Mac that search the hard drive and find duplicate files.

But never specifically designed for music in iTunes.

Thanks
Force
Force

absmiths
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 01:09 PM

I had thought about doing that myself. You could either use AppleScript, or just read through the database files yourself. There is an iTunes Music Library.xml file which could pretty easily be searched for duplicates using some sort of fuzzy logic to find 'near' duplicates, E.G., "The Long Road Home" matches "the lonG road" or even "The long road / some artist / some whatever." Combine that with a weighting on the ID3 tags and you could do a pretty good job.

jwblase
Senior User
Feb 24, 2004, 05:38 PM

I believe that Mp3Rage from Chaotic Software can do this. It can search your music folder and find identical songs by a variety of methods. If I remember correctly, you can even ask it to delete the copies!

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Forum Links
Forum Rules