Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 333 Grape rejects Panther...

iMac 333 Grape rejects Panther...
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 08:57 PM

I have a Grape iMac of the 333MHz breed that just received a new 20GB HD after it's old one died.

Problem is, I gave it 10.3 by installing the HD in my firewire case and using a different computer to install the OS. (The CD Drive on the iMac is VERY iffy, and only reads one out of every three CD's.)

So I got Panther installed, but the iMac sat on the Apple screen with the gyro graphic going and going and going...

Upon a reboot, it no longer recognizes the HD as a boot drive. (Folder with ? / Mac Face)

I DO NOT want to install OS 9 on this thing, as I don't really own any more 9 SW and don't want to hunt any down.

Anyone have ANY idea about how to get this beast running?

Thanks!
Mac Guru

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 09:33 PM

IIRC, the tray-loading iMacs need to have the system installed on the first 8GB. You'll need to partition the drive.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 09:39 PM

But if that's ALL that's on the HD, wouldn't it be on the first 8GB?

A friend just told me that the Non-Firewire G3's won't load Panther.

I'm guessing I'll just have to live with 9 on the iMac... (My wife uses it, so it's not me that has to use it, she doesn't care, as long as she can get her email)

Mac Guru

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 09:48 PM

I'm not sure if installation is that neat.

Installing OS X 10.2 on an iMac 333 with a 10GB drive wouldn't work for me. I needed a two partitions.

Also, your iMac's firmware may need upgrading (though I don't know, offhand, what the rev is).

I have Panther installed on an iMac/266, and it ran fine until the video crapped out. It had its original 6GB drive.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 10:52 PM

Ok, here's the fun part...

There is now NOTHING on the iMac's HD...

Now, it won't boot off the OS 9 CD, and instead, gives me the ? Folder, then eventually it boots me into Open Firmware.

This is VERY messed up.

Mac Guru

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 15, 2004, 09:06 PM

No no no. It's not that Panther needs to be within the first 8GB of a disk of any size. OS X, on those models, needs to be installed on a partition that is completely contained within the first 8GB (including the partition map et al, which is why it's better to format to 7.8GB).

tooki

Mr.Clicky
Apr 17, 2004, 07:29 PM

Tooki is correct; I had the same model (and colour!) and X needed to be installed *within* the first 8 GB partition. It will then boot without a hitch.

Originally posted by tooki:
No no no. It's not that Panther needs to be within the first 8GB of a disk of any size. OS X, on those models, needs to be installed on a partition that is completely contained within the first 8GB (including the partition map et al, which is why it's better to format to 7.8GB).

tooki

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2004, 12:59 AM

Dude, it's because you initialized the drive through a FW bridge, the iMac's IDE controller doesn't know how to deal with it. Place the drive in a machine and reinitialize and install 10.3 THEN put the drive in the iMac. Then you may have to boot from a 9.1 or 9.2 CD and set the startup disk. Things should be good then.

BTW, it has nothing to do with being on an 8GB partition, that was just a limitation of the first Bondi 233MHz iMacs.

EDIT: of course, though, an OSX installation has to be within the first 8GB of *ANY* HD, so maybe I misunderstood what was said earlier... but you can have a partition larger than 8GB with your iMac... in fact, it can be up to 128GB in size.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 18, 2004 at 01:05 AM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

finboy
Apr 20, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

EDIT: of course, though, an OSX installation has to be within the first 8GB of *ANY* HD, so maybe I misunderstood what was said earlier... but you can have a partition larger than 8GB with your iMac... in fact, it can be up to 128GB in size.
OK, so if I put a 40MB HD in my Strawberry then I can do two 20MB partitions and it will work with X? Or not?

Thx for all of the responses here, too, since my upgrade is imminent.

Man, having 9 and X on the same partition (my new ibook) really sux. My Pismo, with two partitions, works much better.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 10:46 PM

All fixed... after much of a headache, I formatted in OS X from my iBook, and partitioned the first part into 6GB and installed X onto that.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for all you guys' help!
Mac Guru

Forum Links
Forum Rules