Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Make Carbon windows look like Cocoa

Make Carbon windows look like Cocoa
Nitride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 01:06 PM

Carbon windows that are resizable have had the lovely white "grow box" in the corner since Mac OS X was released. Cocoa apps on the other hand have always had only the diagonal lines for a "grow box" in their windows.

As it turns out, since 10.2 you can set a flag on the "grow box" control in a Carbon app to make it transparent - essentially make it look like it does in Cocoa apps.

Why this is not the default behavior is something you need to ask Apple.

Because it requires a code snippet and I already typed all this elsewhere (with pics!) you can read the details over here:

http://commons.exittoshell.com/viewtopic.php?t=132

Some apps that spring to mind that could use this are Firefox and BBEdit. It just looks so cheesy with that white box in the corner. This is a situation that could be fixed by Apple by handling this in the WDEF code instead of leaving it as an obscure flag to set in the app's code.

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 10:16 PM

I suspect that the "pretty" control will only work with Carbon windows that are marked as compositing. I think it uses transparency, so if the window doesn't support compositing, the transparency would show up black.

This is total speculation on my part, though.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules