Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > best way to go

best way to go
stupidcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2004, 11:01 PM

Hi

just sitting around watching the numbers crunch and was wondering what is the best way to go about doing all this data crunching . I currently run two programs, sah, and cpdn. They divide their time up per default settings. If I were to add another program such as D2OL, then they would divide time up into thirds. Would it cycle one hour each? And is running several programs,splitting up the time, better than running one at full cpu usage?
The quandray of trying to help science get thing done. Give one your all, or several just a peice of your time and cpu. Any thoughts on the subject?
Jake

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 12:29 AM

Everyone has a different take on it. There is no real best.

Some folks like to give a little to many projects. Others like to focus all their efforts on one project that interests them.

If you have one project that especially interests you, you might want to put everything towards that project or with BOINC even a majority of your time towards it. However if you are interested in multiple projects, then splitting up equally among all that interests you is also good.

It is really more a matter of what will bring YOU the greatest satisfaction. If you are satisfied, and happy, then you are more likely to keep doing it for a long time, and everybody wins, no matter what you choose.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Dec 8, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by stupidcat:
Hi

just sitting around watching the numbers crunch and was wondering what is the best way to go about doing all this data crunching . I currently run two programs, sah, and cpdn. They divide their time up per default settings. If I were to add another program such as D2OL, then they would divide time up into thirds. Would it cycle one hour each? And is running several programs,splitting up the time, better than running one at full cpu usage?
The quandray of trying to help science get thing done. Give one your all, or several just a peice of your time and cpu. Any thoughts on the subject?
If you are running a dual cpu Mac, then running two projects simultaneously works fine. if you are running a single CPu box of any type, then running multiple projects simultaneously will probably result in marginal performance for all of them, basically very little output. My advice if running one CPU, pick one project and go with it until you want to switch, then switch completely to the new project.

Also, many projects have time limits per work unit. if you are dividing up cpu power for one cpu, the work unit may expire or time out while waiting on you to share time with another.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

stupidcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 10:37 AM

Hi OneMacGuy
I am running sah and cpdn on a G3 with only one cpu. I also have cpdn running by itself on a Dell PC, seems to be kicking out credits. So far don't see any credit output from the G3. Decided to follow your suggestion and drop the cpdn since it takes so long on the G3, but have run into problem doing a detach. Had downloaded some various commands to use with Boinc and tried them out. Could only get the 'help' and 'run cpu benchmarks' to work. Tried the 'detach project' with the cpdn URL on the end, but only got a 'command not found' response. Then the programs would start up again. Maybe I should quit terminal, go to my home folder and clean out all files related to the cpdn, then start up boinc and sah and see what happens. Think that would work, or would the program try to find the cpdn, and go out and download another set of files for cpdn?
Oh I also have a G3 running 'classic' sah, and it is fine. Since that is my OS 9 machine, it can't run boinc programs. Anyway, any suggestions as to how to 'detach' the cpdn would help. I have tried various versions of the command, but nothing seems to work.
Jake

virex
Dec 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

i'm pretty sure it's detach_project.....no space, you need the _

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by stupidcat:
Anyway, any suggestions as to how to 'detach' the cpdn would help. I have tried various versions of the command, but nothing seems to work.
Command Period to stop processing.
type: ./boinc_4.13_powerpc-apple-darwin -detach_project http://climateprediction.net
Hit enter

If you have have shortened or changed the name of the boinc appication, type that instead of "boinc_4.13_powerpc-apple-darwin". In the BOINC commands, wherever you see URL, you replace the letters with the URL of the project you want to change.

stupidcat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 07:44 PM

Hey it worked. Once I put URL in correctly, using the 'http://' in front of URL, then the 'detach' request worked. The cpdn shutdown and hasn't ran since. will wait a few days before clearing out all the files left behind.
Thanks. the little things do count.
Jake

Forum Links
Forum Rules