Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini fan, running or not when idle?

Mac Mini fan, running or not when idle?
em500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 08:15 PM

OK, now that quite some people actually have a Mac Mini, I have a question about the fan behaviour. I've read some posts in forums that the fan doesn't run at all under light load. I've also read several posts that it does run all the time, just very quietly. So I'm left to assume that the posters who claim that it doesn't run at all are mistaken, as I doubt anyone has tried to run it without the cover so that the fan is actually visible. Or can someone actually positively confirm that the fan doesn't run at all when idle?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 08:34 PM

The fon on my 1.25 GHz does run all the time, but barely louder that the sound a HD makes. It's not an issue. I can say for sure that it runns (is the "nn" correct?), 'cause one can feel the heat venting out on the back.

ichad
Feb 4, 2005, 06:18 AM

my 1.2ghz mini's fan runs all the time too - im a bit gutted about that!! Although you can hear how loud it could become with heavy load on startup, it 'revs' the fan - similar to starting up a G5.

Not noticable - but not 'whisper quiet'

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 08:10 AM

I got my mini 1.25 one day ago and it's been on non-stop since then. THe fan hasn't been running at all yet. I was even using iMovie and the fan didn't turn on.

ichad
Feb 4, 2005, 08:34 AM

GK - are you sure that the fan isnt running - not even slightly? are you saying the only minor noise is the hard disk clicking?

If so, something is wrong with a few minis here - including mine.

Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 09:48 AM

My 1.42 arrived last night I say it's running but mostly it's idling so slow you barely hear it, you can feel it out the back
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

nyarlaho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:59 AM

The fan in my 1.25 Ghz is always on--but it's so quiet that you can barely hear it. Actually, I cannot hear it, unless I hold my ear real close to the unit. I've tried to get it to rev up, by throwing all kinds of tasks at it, but it never has, so far.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2005, 11:30 AM

I would think also that ambient temperature has a lot to do with whether or not the fan is on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
it runns (is the "nn" correct?)
Only in MacNN

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules