Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Trackpad/Keyboard stop responding until Reboot.

Macbook Trackpad/Keyboard stop responding until Reboot.
kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 03:09 PM

This has happened a couple of times today, the keyboard and mouse stop responding completely but if I reboot it will work fine for a while long, if I plug in a USB mouse while this is happening the USB mouse will work.

It seems like it almost HAS to be a software problem, any ideas?
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

uicandrew
Senior User
Mar 8, 2007, 03:28 PM

it could be the usb port. i have a friend with a macbook pro (2ghz CD) with very tempermental usb ports. sometimes it would freeze or even crash

but he depends on it too much to let it go in for repair.

here's a way to test it. if you can backup your information, and you're not using boot camp, try splitting your hdd into 2 partitions. one that is 10gb, and another that is 90gb and just do a fresh install on one of the partitions (just the basic 2.3gb install, without any of the language/ilife stuff) and then you can use it as your guinea pig.

i figured that linux people never needed tech support.... :-)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

kapkorn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 04:58 PM

Not the USB stuff, the built in macbook keyboard/trackpad stopped responding but it hasnt done it again so hopefully it was just a weird fluke.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

box89e
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by kapkorn View Post
This has happened a couple of times today, the keyboard and mouse stop responding completely but if I reboot it will work fine for a while long, if I plug in a USB mouse while this is happening the USB mouse will work.

It seems like it almost HAS to be a software problem, any ideas?
I seem to be having the same problem. A USB mouse will continue to work while the keyboard and mouse stop responding. If I put the computer to sleep and then turn it back on by clicking the USB mouse, it will be fine, again. I was hoping it was a fluke, but this has been occurring regularly since I bought the Macbook in Jan. As this is my first Mac, I at first thought it might be due to something I was doing. I have the Apple Care plan, but it would be great to avoid going in for service, if anyone has some ideas.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 04:25 AM

This started happening to me in Windows on my MacBook.

SE5907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:06 PM

The same thing happened to me in class today. The built-in keyboard and trackpad stopped working, but my wireless mouse did. At the time, my MacBook (2.0 CD) was just restarted and was running minimal applications. I restarted and everything works again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules