Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anything about MB better than MBP?

Anything about MB better than MBP?
vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 01:29 PM

I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should get a MB or MBP. I hear now that the MBP sometimes gets a yellow screen? and the wireless isn't as good as MB. I don't want to spend more money on a MBP only for a better graphics card if thats all it is

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 02:05 PM

It's mostly based on your preferences. I had the choice of either, and I opted with an MB. It's cheaper and nearly as powerful, I didn't think I'd need a discrete graphics chip (past tense since StarCraft 2 was announced after I got my MacBook and AppleCare. D, I wanted the magnetic non-mechanical latch (since the latch on my iBook was faulty/funky), I preferred the Scrabbl floating keyboard, I liked the smaller size of the laptop, and 13/14" is my personal optimal screen size. Whereas my aunt (the one buying the computer) thought an MBP would've been better because of the larger screen, similar weight, slightly faster processors, discrete graphics chip, backlit keyboard, ExpressCard slot, and metal enclosure (she figured it'd be more durable, but while I've heard stories of bent MBP/PBs, I've yet to hear of bent MB/iBs).

So make a list of your priorities. If there's any mechanical problems, always remember you have a year to get it fixed unless you buy AppleCare.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2007, 03:07 PM

The MacBooks are more durable. More portable due to size, better value for money.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 03:33 PM

Having used both extensively, I like them both. I have a blackbook and am very happy. I do a lot of heavy photo editing, but have 2 gb of ram, and PS and Aperture don't tax the graphics card at all.

Overall, I love both machines. If I wasn't buying it myself, maybe i'd go MBP. Even then, I certainly prefere the 13" with my external monitor for at home.
Considering I did buy it myself, I saw nothing worth the extra thousand or so to me.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 03:57 PM

The weight difference between the 2 is only 1/3 pound (5.1 vs 5.4), which isn't a huge difference, and even the size difference isn't enormous. Not as much as the difference used to be between the 12" and 15" PBs.

One main difference in my eyes is glossy vs matte--and glossy in my eyes leads to eye fatigue.

For me, if money were no object, as you seem to indicate, I'd go with a matte MBP. If money's tight, go with the MB, get a good external monitor eventually.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 04:09 PM

Well, even glossy vs matte depends on the person. I myself prefer glossy. My external is matte, and, in contrast with the MB's glossy screen, I find I'd rather use my smaller MB monitor for main viewing since everything looks more beautiful on the glossy.

Go to an Apple store and try both and see which one you think suits you better. The best advice you can get here. Because no matter what, you really ought not to be swayed by the opinions of others, but by your own preferences.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 04:11 PM

the thing is, if I get a MB, I want to wait until it has a better graphics card. ahh

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 04:16 PM

WHy? Do you do gaming or 3d rendering?
If not, it doesn't matter, the graphics card won't affect much else at all.
If you do, then you should buy a MBP, because the MB probably won't get descrete graphics anytime soon, if ever.

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 04:38 PM

yeah but there is a better intel gma integrated card out there. if I wait, I wouldn't wait past the release of leopard.if you don't think the card will be updated then/by then, well I'll get one now

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 04:42 PM

Well.... Maybe it'll get a refresh by Leopard. It wouldn't be shocking to me if it did, but it very well might not either. Don't base your decision on what I say, it really could go either way. The MB ot a refresh maybe a little more than a month ago.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 05:07 PM

hey, if you're OK with waiting till Leopard, that'll save some money. 'Course, once Leopard comes around, the dilemma is whether to wait until MacWorld San Francisco in January, the traditional event for introducing new hardware. (Though that's not as true as previously, for Mac hardware, anyway.)

Seriously, the difference between glossy and matte is huge, and yes, as advised above by butterflyofdoom, you gotta make your own decision. I've gone to Apple Stores (harsh lighting) and CompUSA (more diffuse lighting) and I don't care for glossy in either environment. Glossy-only iMacs is one of the main complaints about the new iMac models (to be fair, the glass on the new iMacs has gotta be more reflective than the MB screen.)

Also, the new LED screens are a lot brighter in the MBP. And don't the MBP have a wider horizontal and vertical viewing angle?

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 05:22 PM

interesting. now I'm even more unsure if I should get a MB or MBP.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 05:44 PM

If you want to wait, wait until November. The MacBook SHOULD get Santa Rosa by then. But even then, the X310 isn't a dramatic improvement over the GMA950. It will still have the same general limitations. The only difference is it's newer.

Once again, go try out both. See which one you think fits you best. Everyone here has their own opinions and own perceptions. See, we've made you more unsure! The only thing that'll fix it is if you go to any store that sells both and try them out.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 07:32 PM

Having covetously played with both, and owned neither (sadly), I would say that, with the exception of the new LED backlighting, there really isn't a whole hell of a lot that makes the Pro seem like the better buy. Granted, it's got a bigger screen and discrete graphics, but I don't think that makes it worth the £600/~$1200 price gap between the base models. Unless you're going for really heavy-duty graphics tasks, the MacBook seems the more logical buy; with the money you save, you could max out the RAM even at Apple's extortionate mark-ups.

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 07:43 PM

other than battle for middle earth 1 and star wars: battlefront 2, I don't plan on playing any other games. the most improtant thing is being able to edit video smoothly with imovie 6.(or is it 8 now?? on the apple website, mac, macbook, it still says ilife 06) if I can do those things with macbook, as it is now, then I might as well get one of those. would those games work on the gma 950??

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 09:25 AM

Both of the games you mention will work on the GMA 950, though how well is an open question. iMovie has rather minimal graphics requirements, and works fine on the MacBook.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 06:44 PM

The MacBook was updated not that long ago. If you wait, you might wait a while. Unlike the previous models of MB and MBP, I suspect Apple are quite happy that the newer chipset makes a bigger difference between them. The first two models of each had almost no discernable difference in performance for the majority of users/usages.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 12:26 AM

I own a MacBook, and have been assigned both MacBooks and MacBook Pros as work machines. While I would happy use a MacBook Pro if it were given to me or offered really cheap, I don't think the price difference justifies it unless you really need a portable Final Cut Studio station or are using high-end games on the road. The MacBook is more than powerful enough for most uses, and any potential complaints about screen size are mitigated by the 24" LCD I plug it into at my desk. If anything, I prefer the MacBook for its smaller physical dimensions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules