Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pesky pixel prolem

Pesky pixel prolem
Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 03:07 AM

A 1/4 inch square area stuck in white crops up now intermittently in the display . I confirmed it with Sysygy Cult's Active Matrix Screen Tester. It's not repeatable being intermittent, and I'll report it but would like to hear if the size meets Apple criteria for replacement. Thanks Much!

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Milo Waye ]

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 08:51 AM

If it's intermittent, then it doesn't sound like a stuck pixel problem to me. Rather, it could be a faulty video card or a software/system problem. Have you run the diagnostics disk that came with your 'Book? Do the long one (whatever it's called) and see if that turns up anything. If may not since I had to have the video on my 'Book replaced and the diagnostics came back clean. Also, does the problem continue with 3rd party extensions turned off? Is there a particular application this happens in?

If none of the above helps, I'd give Apple support a call...

x user
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 12:10 PM

Somethin that big should fit under Apples catigory, if you can get it to repeat itself where they can see it.

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by bipto:
<STRONG>If it's intermittent, then it doesn't sound like a stuck pixel problem to me. Rather, it could be a faulty video card or a software/system problem. Have you run the diagnostics disk that came with your 'Book? Do the long one (whatever it's called) and see if that turns up anything. If may not since I had to have the video on my 'Book replaced and the diagnostics came back clean. Also, does the problem continue with 3rd party extensions turned off? Is there a particular application this happens in?

If none of the above helps, I'd give Apple support a call...</STRONG>
I ran the extended diagnostics and everything passed. It's been booted in OS X pretty much all the time. It's happened in Excel and in some of the jpg's used as a desktop picture. I have a screen capture of it while in Excel. I'll use it 9.1 awhile and see what happens. What was the nature of the problem with the video in yours?

Forum Links
Forum Rules