Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > T-Mobile CEO details carrier relationships with Apple SIM

T-Mobile CEO details carrier relationships with Apple SIM
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 26, 2014, 03:51 PM

In light of the news that AT&T is locking down the Apple SIM card if used in its network, T-Mobile CEO comment on the complex relationship between carriers and the SIM. Legere issued a "tweetstorm" explaining how each of the four major carriers in the United States approaches the technology differently.

Pointing out that the Apple SIM was created to enable consumer choice, it's complicated by different purchasing options and requirements of the carriers. According to Legere consumers can purchase the new iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 3 through the Apple store with the new SIM, but only T-Mobile and Sprint have embraced the technology. While AT&T is one of the three carrier options the Apple SIM allows, it was revealed earlier that it locks the SIM to its service. Verizon doesn't even allow use of the SIM, instead forcing customers to use its common SIM card.

This is complicated by devices purchased directly from carriers, as AT&T and T-Mobile devices come preconfigured for their respective networks on the Apple SIM. Purchases from Sprint and Verizon are equipped with the carrier's SIM, leaving consumers to replace them if they wish to connect to another carrier. Legere adds that carriers can't even acquire the non-configured SIMs from Apple for replacements, so many changes would require a SIM swap presumably outside of T-Mobile or in some Sprint cases.

Even though AT&T locks the Apple SIM to its network, Sprint could be worse in certain situations by Legere's statements. If an iPad is purchased at a different carrier store then a consumer attempts to bring it to Sprint, the device will not activate. This is because Sprint requires the device IMEI to be in its network registry to work. Even if a non-configured Apple SIM is used, a Sprint customer will have to jump through some hoops to get the IMEI added to the registry.

Legere noted that the Apple SIM was a "smart move on Apple's part" since it "expands and enhances their position in the mobile ecosystem." However, there will be things to adjust to in order to embrace the change Apple is presenting. Legere believes it's something carriers will need to figure out as time passes.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 26, 2014 at 03:54 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2014, 05:53 PM

Interestingly, my iPad Air 2, ordered directly from Apple in Germany, came without any SIM.

nowwhatareyoulookingat
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2014, 11:36 PM

that's what happens when you get the Wifi-only model

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2014, 05:57 AM

(Why does my wifi-only model have a SIM slot? It must be broken. Stupid Apple!)

efithian
Oct 27, 2014, 07:28 AM

I picked up my iPad Air 2 cellular yesterday. In the afternoon, I called T-Mobile, told them I had an Apple SIM. They asked for the sim card info and then activated it. Something I was not aware of, since I have an iPhone with T-Mobile with 7gb data, the iPad Air 2 gets a 5gb data plan for $10/month. You have to love T-Mobile.

Jordan Anderson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2014, 03:36 PM

The number of things T-Mobile is attempting to do in order to make itself appealing to consumers is surprising. With Legere not afraid to spill information, I think it adds some transparency and a breath of fresh air that consumers aren’t accustomed to. Of course the company isn’t without its issues, be it how it handle unlimited data or lack of network coverage in certain parts of the country.

I think the manner it’s approaching the Apple SIM is just another way they are trying to reach out to potential customers. It’s impressive that they appear to be the only carrier to approach the Apple SIM in the manner intended, but with all things it’s possible there is information he left out.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2014, 10:04 PM

T-Mobile is amazing. LOVE this company!
Coverage is NOT as good as AT&T, esp once you get outside the city areas. (A common complaint from my daughter who travels to her high-school football games in rural areas), but I can't touch my plan for less than $140 more on AT&T.

Coverage is very good in all major cities, and in the 12 countries I've travelled to since I've had them.

The prices, and the honestly from their CEO, as well as their market innovation is why I love T-Mobile.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules