Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New OmniWeb beta 4

New OmniWeb beta 4
bmedina
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2000, 02:17 PM

I just downloaded the latest beta of OmniWeb, and I must say that I am pretty impressed. They finally implemented pull-down bookmark menus attached to the browser window (ala iCab and IE5). No more having to use a separate window for bookmarks or that space-hogging slide-out drawer.

But what has really impressed me so far is the handling of cookies. In the preferences, you can set a default behavior for all cookies (i.e. "Always Accept," "Always Reject," etc.), just like pretty much every other browser. But where OmniWeb one-ups the others is that you can set individual behaviors for each domain. For instance, my default behavior is "Always Ask," so whenever I recieve a cookie, the browser asks me what to do. But now when it asks me and I tell it to "Always Accept," it will apply this preference to ONLY this domain. From then on, it won't ask me about cookies from that server (but it will from other servers). This is brilliant. Maybe I didn't explain it that well, but you have to use it to really get the idea.

X Freedom
Jul 15, 2000, 07:19 PM

I hope we get a change to see more of the selective cookie filters. Such as the ones in iCab. I like that fact I can set my browser to always accept a cookie except for cookies from certain places, like doubleclick and some of the other annoy trackers.

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2000, 09:17 PM

And Ben- did you know that Omnigroup is like 2 seconds away from U Village? Right in our backyard.. pretty cool stuff. That's also why transfer rates are so fast from their servers...

dankae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2000, 05:21 PM

does Omniweb run java applets now?

anonymous
Jul 16, 2000, 05:57 PM

OmniWeb recognizes the <APPLET> tag and displays a box where the applet should appear (with a "cup of java" image), but when you try to actually run the applet -- the default setting is not to run applets until you click on them -- it doesn't seem to work. I usually get a circle-with-a-slash-through-it icon. I get the impression that applet support is meant to be in the finished OmniWeb 4.0, but isn't completely there yet (due to the unfinished nature of OmniWeb or Mac OS X or both). Of course, it might just be something wrong with my setup, who knows.

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2000, 10:36 AM

Java won't work until Apple allows Cocoa apps to use it. Currently MRJ in OS X is only accessable by Carbon apps (and it's pretty buggy still).

Am I the only person who hates the lynx interface OmniWeb uses?

me
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2000, 07:36 PM

I know its a bit off subject, but I couldn't help but notice Orbit's reference to U Village. I didn't realize others at UW had DP4, do you know Morgan?

Mario.DZ
Jul 21, 2000, 05:21 AM

In Omni Web 4 beta 4 I am able to use some javascripts. You can try some at http://javascript.internet.com Under the navigation pop-up select user-dtails and then click go.

------------------
Mario.DZ
[email protected]

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2000, 12:06 PM

Yeah, I went to high school with Morgan and lived one floor up from him all of last year. In fact, I borrowed his spare IDE hard drive to run DP3 for a couple of months before I got my 20Gb drive.

Small online world, huh?

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2000, 10:43 AM

Mario.DZ, java applets and javascript are totally different. It's not the same java.

X Freedom
Jul 24, 2000, 01:37 PM

You can't run Java in the carbon version of IE either can you?

------------------
The goal of Project Freedom is to point users to solutions which brings the classic feel of the Mac OS to Mac OS X. (Mac OS X) Project Freedom

Mario.DZ
Jul 25, 2000, 03:01 AM

The Java applets are compiled java program right?

------------------
Mario.DZ
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules