Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mozilla on OS X

Mozilla on OS X
bmedina
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2000, 05:14 PM

Has anyone been able to get Mozilla to run on DP4? I have a nightly build of the M17 milestone, which I vaguely remember hearing would work. It launches as if it is a native OS X app, i.e. doesn't launch Classic.app, but then crashes before it can completely load. Has anyone had any luck with the M17 builds?

I know about the Fizzilla project, but at this point you still have to download the source and compile your own browser. A lot of work for a browser that still isn't totally stable.

Let me know if you've gotten anywhere.

SimonH
Aug 2, 2000, 06:18 PM

Try the version found here:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/contrib/carbon/

It may or may not work, but it is probably your best bet.

------------------
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
X Appeal
http://www.xappeal.org
[email protected]

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2000, 01:24 PM

Unfortunately there are no good native OS X browsers yet. Mozilla, IE, OmniWeb, crash city. What I would do for a carbonized iCab...

I even tried running HotJava but Sun will only package them in platform-specific ways (which defeats the whole myth about cross-platform Java doesn't it). Perhaps somebody can pick apart Sun's HotJava package and pull out the .jar file(s). Grr.

anonymous
Aug 8, 2000, 02:05 PM

Actually, OmniWeb's been working great for me. Java support isn't there yet, but otherwise it's been running very well. What pages are you looking at that cause it to crash?

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2000, 06:25 PM

1/10 pages crash. It also crashes if you click on something while another page is loading in the background. It has poor threading and the authors seem to have assumed you'll only be using one browser window. I also don't like the lynx UI with the arrow keys not scrolling and the 'g' key to select the URL.

OmniWeb is the lest offensive browser without using the Classic environment, but that's only until a carbonized iCab shows up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules