Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Ugly Ugly Ugly!!!!!

Ugly Ugly Ugly!!!!!
IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2002, 08:03 PM

I think this is VERY ugly

Maybe I am just used to the old UBB

Good that you saved the post and members but.

Uhh and the titles are screwe up.

And have you even tryed editing!??!

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2002, 09:03 PM

whine, whine, whine...and why did you think you were so important as to deserver your own thread - there are already threads that exist about the new boards.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE
I think this is VERY ugly

Maybe I am just used to the old UBB

Good that you saved the post and members but.

Uhh and the titles are screwe up.

And have you even tryed editing!??!
Editing the board? If so.. have you ever seen a vB board?! Do you even know how drastically this is modified to look like UBB? They're not blind, they can see what's wrong, it's being worked on.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 3, 2002, 02:43 AM

I think right now it looks identical to the old UBB, barring extra links for all the new features and stuff...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola
I think right now it looks identical to the old UBB, barring extra links for all the new features and stuff...
Yeah, it looks good, I'm impressed

Now, if you'd just put views and replies in separate columns, and make the topic name column bigger...

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2002, 01:17 PM

Maybe it is just me but I have logged in from a couple different locations and the boards seem soooo sloooow, like they are back on the old server.

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by shmerek
Maybe it is just me but I have logged in from a couple different locations and the boards seem soooo sloooow, like they are back on the old server.
Yeah, it was faster yesterday...what happened?

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2002, 05:44 PM

Replying seems to be somewhat slow, but other than that... wonderful job! It looks just like the ol' UBB standard!

Since you're looking for suggestions, though, here are a couple things:
- the button in the bottom right that returns an IP address for mods (the little globe and arrow), would it really need to have the blue box to signify it as a link? I'm noticing the blue border much more now that the "report abuse" button is beside it.

- Also, changing the text "report abuse" to an icon would be very nice.

- I don't know if all this "You may ..." list at the bottom of each page is necessary. Maybe the "you may edit your posts" is useful, but only if somehow some threads did *not* let you edit a post. The code on the right side - HTML code is off, vb code on, etc. - seems a bit redundant as well. Not really essential information.

- the "Subject" title in post reply is unnecessary unless it actually gets displayed

- I'd always like to be able to see more posts above the fold when going to a forum list. The top bar seems very empty - which is not necessarily a bad thing, white space is good - but if you could tighten up the layout some, that would be excellent. Maybe center the MacNN Reader forums image above the "Welcome, username" table cell and center the "MACNN Forums" links above the right side of that table.

Just some suggestions.

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 05:50 PM

I notice that you can now rate threads (as gorg mentioned), but you can't see that in the thread list of each forum.

Also it would be cool to see the ratings on the thread pages itself (maybe at the top or something?)...

Good work though, and it seems to be speeding up as the day progresses...

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Synotic
Editing the board? If so.. have you ever seen a vB board?! Do you even know how drastically this is modified to look like UBB? They're not blind, they can see what's wrong, it's being worked on.
Yes but things were nice the way they where.

It's getting better but I think there is a problem with search, I can't get it to find anything in any of the forums. and I don't like that they don't let you use words lower then 4 letters

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2002, 06:01 PM

Quite like the look at the moment - guess it'll just take a little time to get used to the new stuff on the screen.

I've found the forums to be very very slow for the last couple of hours (or is it just me?).

Is the front forum page currently screwy for everyone else? In the most recent post column it just displays a link with 'Dynamic link post here' in it.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2002, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by funkboy
Replying seems to be somewhat slow, but other than that... wonderful job! It looks just like the ol' UBB standard!
Thanks, we tried.

Since you're looking for suggestions, though, here are a couple things:
- the button in the bottom right that returns an IP address for mods (the little globe and arrow), would it really need to have the blue box to signify it as a link? I'm noticing the blue border much more now that the "report abuse" button is beside it.
That's a mistake (a missing border="0") which will be rectified shortly.

- Also, changing the text "report abuse" to an icon would be very nice.
I think an icon-and-text kind of thing (like we have now along the top of the post) would be nice; just an icon wouldn't explain it quickly enough, but it would be nice for some visual identification. Let's see what Demonhood comes up with -- he's our resident forum icon guru.

- I don't know if all this "You may ..." list at the bottom of each page is necessary. Maybe the "you may edit your posts" is useful, but only if somehow some threads did *not* let you edit a post. The code on the right side - HTML code is off, vb code on, etc. - seems a bit redundant as well. Not really essential information.
I think it doesn't hurt seasoned users, and the fact that those things are clearly spelled out at the bottom of every page is good for new forum users (some of whom may be new to forums themselves, not just ours).

- the "Subject" title in post reply is unnecessary unless it actually gets displayed
I thought it did get displayed...if it doesn't, then I'll remove it.

- I'd always like to be able to see more posts above the fold when going to a forum list. The top bar seems very empty - which is not necessarily a bad thing, white space is good - but if you could tighten up the layout some, that would be excellent. Maybe center the MacNN Reader forums image above the "Welcome, username" table cell and center the "MACNN Forums" links above the right side of that table.
I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by this; can you elaborate?
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 4, 2002, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by agentz
Quite like the look at the moment - guess it'll just take a little time to get used to the new stuff on the screen.

I've found the forums to be very very slow for the last couple of hours (or is it just me?).

Is the front forum page currently screwy for everyone else? In the most recent post column it just displays a link with 'Dynamic link post here' in it.
The forums being slow was a DNS issue and unrelated to vB or the upgrades or the server itself. It should be faster now and will be at full speed in a few days at the latest. It's pretty fast for me right now, though.

As for "Dynamic Post Link Here," we've removed that temporarily. It's a somewhat odd thing ... vB has template variables for the most recent thread URL, time, and poster in a forum, but it doesn't have one for the title. So we can make the link, state the time, and say who did it, but we can't show which thread it is without a hack. The hack that does this is currently not certified for vB 2.2.6 (the latest, which we're using), so it'll take a bit longer to get this in. For now, we've just left that out so it doesn't look bizarre.

agentz
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
The forums being slow was a DNS issue and unrelated to vB or the upgrades or the server itself. It should be faster now and will be at full speed in a few days at the latest. It's pretty fast for me right now, though.
Things are a lot quicker today
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

wingdo
Senior User
Aug 4, 2002, 02:37 PM

Overall I like the new BB ...but... the way HTML code was imported makes reading many of the old threads impossible.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by wingdo:

Overall I like the new BB ...but... the way HTML code was imported makes reading many of the old threads impossible.
Yeah, isn't there any way of fixing this? I heard the vB admin control panel is very powerful.. Something like setting all posts made before xx to have HTML enabled. But if they're edited, then it's turned off again? It would probably be a pain though for people who tried posting normal HTML and didn't want it interpreted... Perhaps a global search and replace on the server side?

asxless
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
...Perhaps a global search and replace on the server side?
Hopefully they will do a GS&R and actually fix the 'quotes' and 'similies' but even just stripping the HTML and inserting a C/R would make the old posts more readable.

asxless in iLand

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2002, 07:18 PM

I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by this; can you elaborate?

I hope that's the right vB script... if not I'll check it later, I gotta go eat...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 4, 2002, 07:52 PM

i think it's awesome, that all these people who don't run a hugely popular mac forum, have got so many gripes about something that is free. yes, the script changed. wow. do we now have to pay? no.

i think some of you whinging mofos need a reality check.

in the meantime: 'spec to glz, demon, etc
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2002, 08:00 PM

Well, we're not whining (some of us, anyway), so much as responding to a call by the administrators to suggest to them ways to improve the forums. I've posted my comments in (I hope) a thoughtful manner.

Really, the MacNN forums are great, absolutely wonderful to browse, and often times very helpful/informative (they helped me decide to get an iBook a year ago... oh my, my precious iBook is 1 year old, I should have a birthday party )

Great job to all the admins!

(oh, and one quick question: are the subjects to the most recently posted thread going to be available on the main MacNN forums page? That was somewhat interesting to scan what topics were currently being discussed in each forum)

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2002, 01:25 AM

I think it is ugly

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 5, 2002, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Yeah, isn't there any way of fixing this? I heard the vB admin control panel is very powerful.. Something like setting all posts made before xx to have HTML enabled. But if they're edited, then it's turned off again? It would probably be a pain though for people who tried posting normal HTML and didn't want it interpreted... Perhaps a global search and replace on the server side?
Yes, we're currently investigating possible solutions to this problem. I know those threads look totally messed up.

And funkboy -- I see what you mean now, but I think that the top of the page would look *way* too cramped that way.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2002, 05:56 PM

And funkboy -- I see what you mean now, but I think that the top of the page would look *way* too cramped that way.
Sure, no problem, just a suggestion

Really, I like the cleanliness.

*keeps fingers crossed for most recent post becoming clickable again*

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2002, 06:22 PM

Good job on the switch. If there's enough server space, how about enabling attachments and avatars?

edit: and custom titles?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 6, 2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:
Good job on the switch. If there's enough server space, how about enabling attachments and avatars?

edit: and custom titles?
Sorry, but no, no, and no.

We can't afford to allow attachments. When we polled about this before, the overwhelming majority (I think it was like 400 to 2) voted for signatures instead of avatars. And custom titles -- nah. If you get 10,000 posts like Cipher, ask again and I'll say yes.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 11:42 AM

Maybe fix that is says we can post attachemnts at the bottem then, along with the subject input .

Making the text box for the message a bit bigger would be nice too. (Helpfull with IMG or URL posts)

-Owl

m3
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2002, 11:59 AM

one thing, n...

on forum view, it says <moderated by... blah blah blah> but it doesn't put the forum title above it like UBB did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules