Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What on earth is apple doing????

What on earth is apple doing????
IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 07:28 AM

Maybe I am hearing it wrong but maybe more then everyday I hear that apple has made a change to Mac OS X that I don't like. almost all of it has to do with Darwin.

The kernel panic (I do admit now it's better for standard users)
Changing locations of files.
Other unix stuff not working now.

Things not working. I hope I am not seeing what is actually happening and it's only bad because people are not saying anything good.

I don't think I will be changing from 10.1.4 any time soon

Any comments?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2002, 07:50 AM

Two things.

One: why 10.1.4? The 10.1.5 is a worthy upgrade.

Two: The Terminal difference is supposedly fixable. i.e. we can get our old terminal back. I must admit I don't quite understan how, yet. This thread is supposed to explain it...
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

IUJHJSDHE  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 09:09 AM

Well there is nothing I want or need from 10.1.4 and so no reason to upgrade, I also heard some things about it too

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 09:25 AM

Ok. First of all, the reason all the terminal stuff got changed (aliases, completions, behavior, etc), is because it was all Wilfredo Sanchez's PERSONAL settings. Apple was asked to remove these in the default install of 10.2. However, all the stuff is still there in

/usr/share/tcsh/examples

If you want everything back, all you literally have to do is execute these three commands:

echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc" > ~/.tcshrc
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/login" > ~/.login
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/logout" > ~/.logout

That adds each source statement to their respective files in your home directory. If you want to do it systemwide for all users, or want more info, see:

/usr/share/tcsh/examples/README

----

DON'T FREAK OUT people just because things are a little different. Christ, you act like Apple is purposely trying to SCREW YOU personally, and they're just arbirarily making random changes specifically to piss off users. All of the improvements in Darwin are WELCOME, and yes, it may mean a few changes or minor modifications for things like fink. But people are freaking out about some parts of fink, for example, being broken, when Jaguar isn't even officially released yet (yes, I'm fully aware some machines are shipping with upgrade CDs, etc...that amount is small potatoes in the big picture before the 24th). Calm down people. Maybe take a second to learn something before you freak out and do something retarded like stay with 10.1.4. (10.1.4...wtf?? Did you "hear" in these lame forums that 10.1.5 "had problems" or something? It's the PEOPLE here that have problems with the crazy sh*t they do to their machines...not the OS.)

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
The kernel panic (I do admit now it's better for standard users)
What's wrong with the kernel panic?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2002, 09:54 AM

What Unix stuff is not working now? As far as I've seen, everything is working much better...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 11:06 AM

This is why (even though I want to) haven't really modified icons, used hack software (well, one Windowshade...and I've heard that'll die after the upgrade) or played too much with OS X. I'll wait until I get OS X 10.2 and get into a little more modifications then.

Having "fun" with an OS that I considered "Alpha" when it first appeared and "Beta" as it is now is risky business, unless you know what you're doing.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
Ok. First of all, the reason all the terminal stuff got changed (aliases, completions, behavior, etc), is because it was all Wilfredo Sanchez's PERSONAL settings. Apple was asked to remove these in the default install of 10.2. However, all the stuff is still there in

/usr/share/tcsh/examples

If you want everything back, all you literally have to do is execute these three commands:

echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc" > ~/.tcshrc
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/login" > ~/.login
echo "source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/logout" > ~/.logout

That adds each source statement to their respective files in your home directory. If you want to do it systemwide for all users, or want more info, see:

/usr/share/tcsh/examples/README

Actually, these were part of MIT Project Athena, which Fred worked on. They are used all over the place (not just in OS X). Who asked Apple to move them? Fred?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
The Terminal difference is supposedly fixable. i.e. we can get our old terminal back.
Terminal(.app) is a program that has nothing to do with the changes you are talking about. A similar mistake would be to say that Internet Explorer was broken because a website changed to a worse user interface.

It looks like much of the MacOS X community is making this mistake and we may ruin the definition of 'terminal', making its use quite ambiguous.

Example: The word strafe was hyjacked by the Doom community and now a whole generation of kids thinks it means 'to sidestep'.

piracy
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Kristoff:

Actually, these were part of MIT Project Athena, which Fred worked on. They are used all over the place (not just in OS X). Who asked Apple to move them? Fred?
The reasoning given was that they were Fred's personal settings (though they're widely used), and it wasn't seen as "appropriate" to have them set as the defaults. The wording was that Apple was "asked" to make the change; don't know if it was Fred that asked. Given Fred's involvement, perhaps it was just a suggestion that they needn't be the default settings.

V0ID
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
Well there is nothing I want or need from 10.1.4 and so no reason to upgrade, I also heard some things about it too
I would recommend you upgrade to 10.1.5. It makes scrolling faster. For example, Finder windows now scroll smoothly on my G3 400, and web pages scroll a little smoother too (on all browsers).

pilauh
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 07:49 AM

what does strafe mean ?

sorry for that silly question, but i'd like to hear what is this Doom community situation ?

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

Hes Nikke
Aug 16, 2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by V0ID:

I would recommend you upgrade to 10.1.5. It makes scrolling faster. For example, Finder windows now scroll smoothly on my G3 400, and web pages scroll a little smoother too (on all browsers).
i would recomend sticking with 10.1.4, 10.1.5 isn't as stable, it KP's and freezes up a lot more then 10.1.4
iMac, uMac, we all Mac for eMac!

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2002, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by pilauh:
what does strafe mean ?

sorry for that silly question, but i'd like to hear what is this Doom community situation ?

First person shooter players use strafe as meaning 'to walk left or right while facing forward' (shooting optional).

From dictionary.com:
--------------------
strafe Pronunciation Key (strf)
tr.v. strafed, straf�ing, strafes
To attack (ground troops, for example) with a machine gun or cannon from a low-flying aircraft.

n.
An attack of machine-gun or cannon fire from a low-flying aircraft.

[From German (Gott) strafe (England), (God) punish (England), a common World War I slogan, from strafen, to punish, from Middle High German strfen, to contest, admonish.]

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Hes Nikke:

i would recomend sticking with 10.1.4, 10.1.5 isn't as stable, it KP's and freezes up a lot more then 10.1.4
If you don't point out that that's just your experience, this sort of thing is FUD. I haven't had a freeze or panic since I installed 10.1.5, which I did the day it was released.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Forum Links
Forum Rules