Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Turning off the monitor I love so much

Turning off the monitor I love so much
b00tang
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 06:29 PM

I love this 17" imac. I can't help it. Its not right for a man to love a computer I know, but its a 17" widescreen imac. Seriously.
My only question is how do I turn off the monitor? I know that energy saver can put my monitor to sleep for me after a while... but Is there some way (through jaguar or a thrid party utility, or just a simple thing i don't know about) to put the monitor to sleep on command (but not the rest of hte computer)? Ideally something with a hot corner would solve the prob... People always talk about putting their lcd's to sleep to increase their life. so i figure i should too.
Any help is great. thanks
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by b00tang:
I love this 17" imac. I can't help it. Its not right for a man to love a computer I know, but its a 17" widescreen imac. Seriously.
My only question is how do I turn off the monitor? I know that energy saver can put my monitor to sleep for me after a while... but Is there some way (through jaguar or a thrid party utility, or just a simple thing i don't know about) to put the monitor to sleep on command (but not the rest of hte computer)? Ideally something with a hot corner would solve the prob... People always talk about putting their lcd's to sleep to increase their life. so i figure i should too.
Any help is great. thanks
i posted the exact same Q in OSX general
so far no answer
its also great for college kids who leave their computers on all the time
and it just gets annoying to open system prefs and do it

so someone fluent in Apple Script please write one
please :-D

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2002, 02:51 AM

You don't need to write any script.Go to screen saver panel on system preferences and you will see the hot corner tab.Choose the basic screen saver which is mainly black and you are set to go.If you want your screen to be completely black chose from the screen saver icon on system preferences to turn off your screen on very small amount of time.The minimum is 5 minutes.To do that clict the tab which enables separate timing for the screen sleep.
Hope this helps.It's really easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules