Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hosed iBook

Hosed iBook
rytc
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 11:50 AM

My sister's ibook which she purchased only 6 months ago 2nd hand (was ~1 year old) has now developed the infamous black screen of death. I.e. Flickering, which became worse and now displays nothing but a black screen. Apple Netherlands has quoted her Euro 800 to repair it, which is barely cheaper than a brand new one! Who in this region of the world has had to get their iBook fixed out of warranty for this problem and how much have you paid? Or does anyone know if there is a DIY solution that one could attempt?

Cheers Ry

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 01:25 PM

I see you're from Germany, I'd suggest checking out Gravis (www.gravis.de), they can repair broken Macs and it's mostly affordable.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 11:53 AM

Edit: The link doesn't match the content of this post anymore, not that anyone would notice, it being in Dutch and all that.

You mention Apple Netherlands, was the iBook bought in Holland and was it bought from a retailer?

I was perusing around looking for a cheap ram stick when I came across this............

http://consument.chipmunk.nl/computers/iBook.html

It's a internet shop that will not sell computers to the general public because the Dutch law requires a retailer to give 2 to 3 years guarantee, and they say that they cannot afford to back up the one year offerred by Apple.

(There is a link to some legal mumbo jumbo, none of what I can translate to anything mentioning the guarentee terms above, there is also no date for the document.)

What this could mean is that even though the iBook was bought 18 months ago it may still have a guarentee from the retailer as enforced by Dutch law.

rytc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Unfortunately, it wasn't bought in the netherlands but actually second hand in the US and so unfortunately the dutch law thing won't apply but that's an interesting point regarding the 2-3 year warranty. I visited Gravis and they put me onto Apple Germany who'll repair any problems with the iBook for a flat fee of Euro 452 - a lot more reasonable but still basically money down the drain. My sister has decided to bite the bullet and just pay as Apple will also give a 1 year warranty on the repair. I really am interested in how common the backlight problem actually is, has anyone come across figures/estimates of the number that have been repaired.

Thanks Ry

Forum Links
Forum Rules