Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] QNX Theme - Release on Apr 7

[ANN] QNX Theme - Release on Apr 7 (Page 2)
Lew
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 11:50 AM

Just noticed the style of QNX's menus...

Look familiar?

Now wouldn't it be nice if you were able to achieve the same effect Carbon has in the Meteora theme in your QNX one?

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 04:13 PM

I can and I know how, I'm saving that for a rainy day. I'll surprise you guys one of these days with those Menu pull downs.

Mac Guru

Lew
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 04:17 PM

Found a slight problem with one of the sliders. It's the one that the Finder uses to set the icon size in the View Options. I can't move it all the way across to the right to set icons to 128x128. It stops at 124x124. If I click on the end of the 'groove' that it slides along the slider changes to its pressed state. Maybe the click mask is too wide?

Lew
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
I can and I know how, I'm saving that for a rainy day. I'll surprise you guys one of these days with those Menu pull downs.

Mac Guru
Now that would be the icing on the cake

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 05:00 PM

Found a slight problem with one of the sliders. It's the one that the Finder uses to set the icon size in the View Options. I can't move it all the way across to the right to set icons to 128x128. It stops at 124x124. If I click on the end of the 'groove' that it slides along the slider changes to its pressed state. Maybe the click mask is too wide?
I'll check on that.

Mac Guru

siliconwafer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 08:14 PM

Mac guru, excellent theme. First theme I've seen that I've liked better than Aqua, first theme I've ever used. Simply awesome.

... so how about an itunes skin? Is that even possible? BTW, nice job on the Safari skin. Keep up the good work.

Mac Guru

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 10:24 PM

great theme, its full time on my system - only brushed, and pez have ever lasted as long...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 11:11 PM

When I get paid next week I'll be donating to the author for this one. Love it.

Great color scheme. Simple. Elegant.

"-Dodge This"

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 11:33 PM

If you're in the donating mood, I was the originator and designer of the theme. bOOzo still deserves a lot of the credit since it wouldn't be on your system without him.

Thanks Max!
Mac Guru

decursive
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 02:29 AM

I was the originator and designer of the theme.
at least give credit where credit is due. the QNX team (or someone working for them) designed it. you modified it. they are notably different.
= decursive =

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 09:34 AM

True, but it did require some tweaking to get OS X-ized.

But yes, technically, I didn't DESIGN the idea.

Mac Guru

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 11, 2003, 09:37 AM

If you're in the donating mood, I was the originator and designer of the theme. bOOzo still deserves a lot of the credit since it wouldn't be on your system without him.

Thanks Max!
Mac Guru
Sure no problem, I'm glad I could help you out. And I agree, donations for QNX should go to you.

daftpig
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 03:30 PM

Sorry but I'll like to ask if QNX might come with opaque menus in the future? The reason why I'm asking is because translucency slows my iMac down quite a bit.

Thanks.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 04:17 PM

You missed an element. It's a forward button. Go to AI and scroll down a thread of theirs and you'll see the aqua forward button.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 05:15 PM

Sorry but I'll like to ask if QNX might come with opaque menus in the future?
Not from me, but with ThemePark, you can do it in about 5 min. Do a search here for "Opaque OS X menu's" and see what pops up.

Mac Guru

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
You missed an element. It's a forward button. Go to AI and scroll down a thread of theirs and you'll see the aqua forward button.
Those are hard-coded in the AI forum setup along with the Mail icons, etc.

Go to the item you mention and note that you can 'cntrl-click' it to open image in a new window.

Z

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 02:21 AM

Why? Why do people insist on changing the Brushed Metal resources? They never look good when changed, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

I hate having to re-edit the resources!

Leave a good thing alone!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 02:25 AM

Edit: I thought the caps were not possible but then read the Meteora thread and discovered someone figured it out. Ignore.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 11:52 AM

Why? Why do people insist on changing the Brushed Metal resources? They never look good when changed, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

If I'm gonna make a theme, I'm gonna make sure all elements match, and since there's no brushed metal in QNX, so...

Mac Guru

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Jasoco:

amen!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 03:08 PM

The point is, No matter HOW much you try. You can NOT make the BM resources look better than they already are. So leave them alone!

Think of it THIS way, you can't change the iTunes and Quicktime skins the same way, so leave metal alone. Or you're further ruining the UI by adding a THIRD interface. Two is enough.

decursive
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

I, for one, hate brushed metal.
I, for one, love brushed metal in QNX.
= decursive =

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 10:19 PM

I'm not creating anything, If Apple's gonna be such a nerd and make the apps they create NOT use System UI resources, that's their fault... not mine.

Mac Guru

daftpig
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 06:02 AM

Not from me, but with ThemePark, you can do it in about 5 min. Do a search here for "Opaque OS X menu's" and see what pops up.

Mac Guru
Oh I didn't know that would do. Many thanks!

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 12:03 AM

Hey guys (GFive specifically )

Here's a preview of the next thing to come out of QNX. Just a little menu hacking.

Lemme know what you think!

Mac Guru

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2003, 12:31 AM

Here's a preview of the next thing to come out of QNX. Just a little menu hacking.

Mac Guru
Can you make the drop down menu line up with the left side of the actual menu item? With that little gap between the two it looks strange. Anyway, you da boss.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2003, 12:34 AM

yeah easy as pie, this is just a shot of the first draft.

Will get right on it.

Mac Guru

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2003, 05:44 PM

This theme is AWESOME, its full time on my mac - the menu additions would look great.

I agree, the edges should line up, it looks odd otherwise, somehow off.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming improvements - thank you thank you!!

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 21, 2003, 02:02 AM

You actually can't get the stroke to line up with the menu. The only way to do it would be to add a stroke to the menus left side.

Lew
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 07:59 AM

Mac Guru
Damn! That is a tasty-looking theme. I can't wait for the next release (is the horizontal slider that Finder uses for its icon sizes working now?).

I love what you've done with the brushed elements, btw

kingskel
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 02:40 PM

This theme looks very tight. I honestly have to admit that, when I saw QNX, I was hoping for more of the 1st version: http://www.kaleidoscope.net/schemes/...apz/macqnx.gif

Maury from Railhead Design has a K scheme of it at http://www.railheaddesign.com/downlo...2.0_Folder.sit if you want to know what I'm talking about.

That would look really sleek on X! Any pros up for it? I'd do it if I could do a good job of it, but I'm not a graphics guy...

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 06:16 PM

I originally wanted to do the MicroGUI you posted about but found it very inconsitent in a lot of places... it's probably why they switched to the one they use now (the one I based my theme on)

BTW, I've updated my Safari Skin for QNX to meet the needs of v73.

Same link as before.

Mac Guru

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by york28:
Nice theme. And the variety is great. My only complaint is that it's not based on the earlier QNX, version 2 I think it was, the one that had the curves in the title bar (sort of like the old OS X theme Cole-F). I don't know but there is something it that I like more than the current incarnation of the interface in Neutrino.

The other theme with the two colored title bar that had a curved separation between them was underling. Anyone know what happened to that theme?
Underling died with Panther. Primarily because the widgets exploited a simple backdoor in previous versions of OS X, but with the metal interface taking precedence in the Panther finder I couldn't hide the funky way the widgets work. That and the fact that I landed a full-time job sorta destroyed my energy for it. I still like it though, and kinda wish it would keep going. I've thought about giving all of my resources over to someone else, but then they'd inherit all my crappy cut-corner resources and I just couldn't do that to anyone else.

I also wish I'd created multiple sizes for all of my icons because they start to look really crappy the smaller they get. Anyhow, I'm glad someone remembs it

to all the themers who kept it up, good on you. i admire your efforts completely!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 05:03 PM

All links are dead. Does anyone have a copy of the full file I can download? I want to use it with ShapeShifter, not Duality.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 05:08 PM

The links are dead b/c this thread is a year old. If you want the theme it is available for 10.2 under "themes" in Max's site.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
The links are dead b/c this thread is a year old. If you want the theme it is available for 10.2 under "themes" in Max's site.
LOL. sorry, i did a search for underling and didn't realize this was a year old! my bad.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 06:34 PM

Nice... now let this die

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 09:03 PM

This was a good theme... I want it...

Lew
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Unfortunately the 10.2 QNX theme doesn't work properly with ShapeShifter (the window widgets are shrunken), otherwise I'd be using it full-time. It's one of my favourite themes (as if you couldn't tell from my earlier posts in this thread )

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 08:42 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands, or else I'd update everything for SS.

I had originally planned, to 'upgrade' QNX for Panther but I work full time, have a 2 year old daughter and no time to work on an OS X theme.

Maybe Max will update it one of these days, but I don't think I will for a while.

Mac Guru

testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 10:15 AM

Maybe swiz could update it? This seems right up his alley. I know Max has said it's on the bottom of his priority list.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2004, 11:12 AM

This sucks! I read the title... I was like ooh I missed this being released on April 7th?!??!

Yeah, hopefully someone will take up the banner and update this request. I doubt it will be swiz though, as he said he was going on a mini-hiatus from themes.

dru
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
This sucks! I read the title... I was like ooh I missed this being released on April 7th?!??!

Yeah, hopefully someone will take up the banner and update this request. I doubt it will be swiz though, as he said he was going on a mini-hiatus from themes.
Ah! I was tricked! I thought it was updated and was totally excited about a new .DLTA theme.

Alas, it was a trick. :/
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2004, 07:56 PM

Why can't I download it? All DL links say "Not Found" and I didn't see aything on his home page.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2004, 11:13 PM

I'm soooo sorry i did this. I really didn't mean for this to happen. Please forgive me. although, if QNX does get revisted that'd be a cool outcome!

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 12:00 AM

The tricky part is that its on the first page of GUI Custom forum...

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2004, 12:14 AM

Hey, I was checking ResExcellence, and Max just released QNX 1.1, perfect timing.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 01:41 AM

You guys may want to hold off on the 1.1 version on ResEx. It's the same version as the current QNX and there is NO mention of a QNX update on maxthemes.com, just the Aluminum Alloy update.

EDIT: Hmm.. says it can be used with Shapeshifter. Not sure what the ResEx one is, ReadMe hasn't been updated or anything.
( Last edited by derekn; Apr 13, 2004 at 01:57 AM. )

Lew
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 05:34 AM

It certainly looks to be a 'quick and dirty' port to SS, as it seems to suffer from the shrunken widgets problem

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 06:58 AM

ShapeShifter can automatically update and support themes dating back to 10.1... however, it tends to squash widgets when updating. In other words, an official update for 10.3 is not out yet.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Forum Links
Forum Rules