Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PBG4 sleep and network location bug...

PBG4 sleep and network location bug...
rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2003, 04:35 PM

I have a PBG4 1GHz with Mac OS X 10.2.6 and with 1024 MB of RAM. Over the past few months (obviously, numerous system updates have been applied over that time), sometimes when I will put the computer into sleep in one network location (an ethernet LAN, for example) and then wake it up when there is no ethernet connection, the time, battery indicator, sound, etc. menu items will disappear and the computer runs strangely--it will run slowly and must be restarted. The only menu item (top right corner) that does appear is the third-party supplied PHT Ticker. When it comes time to restart, however, the Finder will exit normally but the little startup/restart "ticker" animation will come up and not go away; the computer will not restart.

Once the machine has been force restarted the problem is fixed, but perhaps until the next time a network location change occurs after sleep.

I have also submitted this report to Apple at their Mac OS X Feedback site.

Any clues? Thanks.

ibook_steve
Aug 28, 2003, 09:07 PM

Go into your Directory Access application in the Utilities folder and make sure you have Netinfo turned off. Just uncheck the box. If your system is looking for a non-existent Netinfo server, your machine will run slowly until it times out, which can take a long time. If you don't know what Netinfo is, then you don't need it and you should turn it off.

Steve

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Go into your Directory Access application in the Utilities folder and make sure you have Netinfo turned off. Just uncheck the box. If your system is looking for a non-existent Netinfo server, your machine will run slowly until it times out, which can take a long time. If you don't know what Netinfo is, then you don't need it and you should turn it off.

Steve
Thanks for the tip, but NetInfo is off and it always has been (to my knowledge, at least). I doesn't seem like that is the problem...

rlorenc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
I have a PBG4 1GHz with Mac OS X 10.2.6 and with 1024 MB of RAM. Over the past few months (obviously, numerous system updates have been applied over that time), sometimes when I will put the computer into sleep in one network location (an ethernet LAN, for example) and then wake it up when there is no ethernet connection, the time, battery indicator, sound, etc. menu items will disappear and the computer runs strangely--it will run slowly and must be restarted. The only menu item (top right corner) that does appear is the third-party supplied PHT Ticker. When it comes time to restart, however, the Finder will exit normally but the little startup/restart "ticker" animation will come up and not go away; the computer will not restart.

Once the machine has been force restarted the problem is fixed, but perhaps until the next time a network location change occurs after sleep.

I have also submitted this report to Apple at their Mac OS X Feedback site.

Any clues? Thanks.
UPDATE: The problem may be caused by PTH Stock Ticker v.1.2.0 itself. That is the latest version. When I removed that app from the Login Items dialog and logged out and went to sleep that problem did not manifest itself...yet. It's only been a little while and I haven't had a chance to completely test this theory but it seems promising.

Forum Links
Forum Rules