Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > emacs in its own window

emacs in its own window
bmedina
Mac Elite
May 29, 2002, 10:33 PM

Okay, I'm a newbie at X Windows, so bear with me.

I've installed XDarwin and am using OborOSX as a window manager (is that the correct terminology?). How do I get emacs to open up in it own X11 window? For example, if I type "emacs document" into Terminal.app, it doesn't open up a new window but displays the emacs output inside Terminal.app instead.

I can ssh -X into other machines and have it work (if I do it from within xterm), but not locally. I guess a related question is how to get remote forwarding working from within Terminal.app (instead of using xterm). Thanks in advance!

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: bmedina ]</small>

kangoo_boo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2002, 10:41 PM

try xemacs =)
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

howardm4
Senior User
May 29, 2002, 11:11 PM

he's right.

The version of emacs supplied w/ OSX does NOT support X windows
(think about it, why would they?).

So, you do need XEmacs or figure out how to compile GNU Emacs for OSX.
Or get the emacs source ball from darwin.apple.com (or whatever) and
rebuild it w/ X support

rw
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2002, 12:12 AM

I'm even more a newbie than bmedina, so please bear with me, too.

Isn't emacs supposed to open up in the Terminal? I mean, isn't that really the whole idea behind emacs -- to have a text editor that runs in a terminal window? Making emacs into an independent app with its own windows and pull-down menus and so on seems sort of like going camping to "rough it" but bringing along a TV set.
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

P
May 30, 2002, 01:05 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by rw:
<strong>I'm even more a newbie than bmedina, so please bear with me, too.

Isn't emacs supposed to open up in the Terminal? I mean, isn't that really the whole idea behind emacs -- to have a text editor that runs in a terminal window? Making emacs into an independent app with its own windows and pull-down menus and so on seems sort of like going camping to "rough it" but bringing along a TV set.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Emacs can run both in a window of its own and in the Terminal - it will usually run in its own window if it detects an X server running (ie it sees a DISPLAY variable).

Personally, I don't like Emacs that much, but the rationale is that a power user used to Emacs knows most keycombinations by heart and can work very quickly this way, but might need menus once in a while.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2002, 06:22 AM

The version of emacs that comes with OS X has no X11 support- you'll need to grab a version that has (you can use fink). Furthermore, even with X11 support, you'd have trouble starting an X11 emacs window from Terminal.app unless you set DISPLAY to :0.0
DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

Sven G
Professional Poster
May 30, 2002, 12:10 PM

A double-clickable Carbon Emacs (version 21.1.3) port:

<a href="http://www.porkrind.org/emacs/" target="_blank">http://www.porkrind.org/emacs/</a>

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Sven G
Professional Poster
May 30, 2002, 12:13 PM

... And there's also a Carbon version of the Vim text editor (version 6.1), for those who might be interested:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/fisherbb/index.html</a>

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

bmedina  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2002, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys! When I reboot to 10.1, I'll check fink for xemacs.

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2002, 10:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bmedina:
<strong>Thanks for all the help, guys! When I reboot to 10.1, I'll check fink for xemacs.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">both xemacs and GNU emacs-x11 will do what you need - I prefer emacs-x11 though
DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

Forum Links
Forum Rules