Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther on B&W G3

Panther on B&W G3
KasperNL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 05:51 AM

MacFreaks,

I've got a question about the installation of Panther on a B&W G3. After the installation of Disc 1, the installer askes to reboot (this is normal), when I restart I receive a gray traffic-sign. I allready spoke to serveral Apple Support people in the Netherlands but none of them could help me. Have a bright idea please post or mail me...

Specs of Powermac G3 B&W:
G3 Processor
Native USB
320MB RAM

I tried the following things allready:

PRAM reset ([apple] + [p] + [r])
Formated the harddisk with zero's
cuda switch
Repair Permissions / Repair Harddsik in Disk Utility running from Panther CD1
Installation of Panther on another computer --> Swapping Harddisk to G3
Changed Memory modules
Removed all 3rd Party components (SCSI/Memory/2nd LAN)
Changed Startup Disk again (from Panther CD1)
Checked Firmware (1.1 should be the newest)
Updated the 10.3 installation to 10.3.3 in another mac (G4)

hodaddy
Apr 4, 2004, 01:28 PM

what video card are you running? do you have the hardware DVD decoder on that logic board?

i have a b/w G3 400 running panther. but, one of the video cards i was running caused kernel panics. check apple's site for officially supported boards.

also, i think i pulled the decoder a while back, probably while i was troubleshooting the video board.

you might also check with your ram vendor that it supports panther. dunno any other way to check if it is suspect.
if it aint' broke, break it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 02:15 PM

what number of hard drives are inside the B&W?, interface?, SCSI?, IDE?

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2004, 04:40 PM

I echo that.
I had my computer kernel panic every time I would try to install Panther, but after replacing the video card the problem disapeared.

Originally posted by hodaddy:
what video card are you running? do you have the hardware DVD decoder on that logic board?

i have a b/w G3 400 running panther. but, one of the video cards i was running caused kernel panics. check apple's site for officially supported boards.

also, i think i pulled the decoder a while back, probably while i was troubleshooting the video board.

you might also check with your ram vendor that it supports panther. dunno any other way to check if it is suspect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules