Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got a macbook- dvd player problems, region

Just got a macbook- dvd player problems, region
vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 09:20 PM

I just made the plunge and got a macbook. It came today. it won't play dvds. I put one in, use the remote, go to dvd, it loads it, then when I press play, or main dvd menu, or anything, it says I should use a region 1 dvd player for the dvd. Im in that region, according to the diagram that comes up, showing region 1 being in the US. What the heck is up? a 1,489 dollar computer cant play dvd's!? what can I do?

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2007, 10:09 PM

Doesn't it let you select and set the region?

Also, this thread might be helpful: http://forums.macnn.com/69/macbook-p...ware-c2d-mbps/

Additionally, you can look into VideoLAN - Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS! , which plays DVD's regardless of region.

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 10:11 PM

no! I don't want to install some second party dvd player! I want to use the mac dvd player! I'm pissed right now

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2007, 10:19 PM

I agree -- you shouldn't have to. So don't throw a tantrum when someone offers a workaround. That won't encourage others to help you.

Call Apple tomorrow morning if no one else posts.

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2007, 10:23 PM

thanks man. its just that money is important. that macbook cost me my entire work study money for the year, and half of next year.

Cold Warrior
Aug 30, 2007, 10:43 PM

I completely agree. Apple should fix your gear.

Gilles Poitras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 02:32 PM

What you need to do the first time you put a DVD in any Mac is select the region you want to use.

Macs are sold around the world and do not come with the regions pre-locked.

Simply select region 1 and you should be fine.

Note that you can change the region only a few times then it permanently locks.

vtboyarc  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2007, 03:56 PM

yeah I called apple, I was on the phone for 2 hours. the select regin thing wouldn't come up, so they had me do all sorts of things. it was funny, they had this problem before, and couldn't figure it out, so this time, they had lke 5 people trying t help me, hey even did a conference with someone online, once we figured it out, they were all cheering. it was great

elwood58
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 04:30 PM

Glad to hear that your problem got solved. I had the same issue initially, although I was able to set the region once I found the right window.

Forum Links
Forum Rules