Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook to Apple 4 Repair(s); Can I Get A Upgrade?

iBook to Apple 4 Repair(s); Can I Get A Upgrade?
Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 04:05 AM

I sent my dual USB/DVD off today for the wavy display in the upper & lower right corners, half a dozen bad pixels, and a jerky cursor. I'm starting to think about the Combo Drive and a 20 GB HD. Think they'll exchange it for the difference in cash? Any idea who I'd contact?

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Milo Waye:
<STRONG>I sent my dual USB/DVD off today for the wavy display in the upper & lower right corners, half a dozen bad pixels, and a jerky cursor. I'm starting to think about the Combo Drive and a 20 GB HD. Think they'll exchange it for the difference in cash? Any idea who I'd contact?</STRONG>
Anything of course is possible but, not really likely. They certainly will repair your unit with no questions asked most likely. However, once the computer is yours which it most likely is I doubt they would exchange it for a different model but, then again you can always prove me wrong.

<ratty>
Jul 29, 2001, 12:55 AM

they will do everything possible to make sure you keep the computer you bought. Unless it's too expensive to fix, they might give you an upgrade - but don't count on it.

Milo Waye  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by &lt;ratty&gt;:
<STRONG>they will do everything possible to make sure you keep the computer you bought. Unless it's too expensive to fix, they might give you an upgrade - but don't count on it.</STRONG>
Oh well it was a shot in the dark. I saw Icruise post re MCE putting a 30 GB in a iBook purchased from them. Maybe they'll also do it as a aftermarket upgrade. Guess I'll email them and ask.

<former_apple_employee>
Jul 29, 2001, 04:03 AM

Its policy to give a customer a completely new product after 3 major repairs. However, since this is a logistic nightmare on Apple's end, its avoided at all costs unless the customer outright asks for it. At which time, you will get a brand new computer - identical to your current machine, unless of course your current machine is no longer made, at which time you will be upgraded.

I've seen many a lucky customer walk away with 466 machines when they only had 350's or 400's to begin with. Of course, when dealing with ANY apple tech or rep on the phone remember to stay calm and be nice. The customer who yells or swears gets nothing. Trust me.

Good Luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules