Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla 0.8

Mozilla 0.8
bmedina
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2001, 03:07 PM

This newest release seems great; it's a lot faster and more stable. The only problem seems to be start up time: it's still a little long.

Before you try this out, you should delete all the old Mozilla stuff you have if you've run Mozilla before. This include the Mozilla folder in your documents foder as well as the Mozilla registry and Mozilla versions files in the preferences folder. Otherwise you'll get some weird stalling errors like I was initially getting.

bmedina  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2001, 09:26 PM

Well, after a few days of testing, I can officially say that Mozilla is now usable as a primary browser. I haven't been able to crash it yet, and though opening windows and such is still a little slow, the rendering of pages is blazingly fast.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2001, 11:35 PM

I noticed that Mozilla folder inside Documents. But I am using Netscape 6.01 (which I might add is really great) and have not downloaded Mozilla. I thought Netscape used Mozilla or something like that. Help me out here.

Group51
Senior User
Feb 18, 2001, 07:25 AM

Originally posted by bmedina:
Well, after a few days of testing, I can officially say that Mozilla is now usable as a primary browser. I haven't been able to crash it yet, and though opening windows and such is still a little slow, the rendering of pages is blazingly fast.
I can concur that is really fast - or appears to be very fast. Fizzilla is also fast, but doesn't have scrolling support (its based on 0.7). Scrolling makes all the difference in 0.8, I can finally *use* it to browse the web. I have had a few crashes where it just disappears when I try to download newgroups...but I use Newswatcher for that anyway.

It just needs a little more interface work - those buttons are still not Mac buttons, and are too big - I mean buttons on a web page, but they are making progress - my scroll bars are now the way I want them - NeXT style. Also it should have the fonts default to the size they were in 4 (or have a preference to set them back - rather than having to guess what the equivalent was.

Oh and a proper Aqua theme would be nice. Mozzilium is good, but no cigar.
Mozilla is really good and fast, IE 5 is uniquely good feature wise, iCab is small fast and good, and OmniWeb is good, cocoa and cool. What a nice variety!

bmedina  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2001, 02:09 AM

ctt1wbw: yes, Netscape 6 is based on Mozilla. So if you want to upgrade from Netscape 6.x to the Mozilla 0.8 release, just follow the steps in my first post. It's really easy, and I think you'll be very satisfied.

Another cool feature of Mozilla: when I clicked on the reply link, it filled in my user name and password, just like I told it too the last time I posted. Very cool

itim55
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2001, 11:16 PM

Yessir, Mozilla is great. Now only if they could get Java, QT, and Flash/SW to work!

------------------
Kato! You have turned my apartment into a..a..Chinese nookie factory!
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules